Tyler Perry Freezes 800,000,000 $ usd, expansion - cites AI as reason

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Garamondo Furbish, Mar 8, 2024.

1. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter published Thursday, filmmaker Tyler Perry spoke about his concerns related to the impact of AI video synthesis on entertainment industry jobs. In particular, he revealed that he has suspended a planned $800 million expansion of his production studio after seeing what OpenAI's recently announced AI video generator Sora can do.

"I have been watching AI very closely," Perry said in the interview. "I was in the middle of, and have been planning for the last four years... an $800 million expansion at the studio, which would’ve increased the backlot a tremendous size—we were adding 12 more soundstages. All of that is currently and indefinitely on hold because of Sora and what I’m seeing. I had gotten word over the last year or so that this was coming, but I had no idea until I saw recently the demonstrations of what it’s able to do. It’s shocking to me."

OpenAI, the company behind ChatGPT, revealed a preview of Sora's capabilities last week. Sora is a text-to-video synthesis model, and it uses a neural network—previously trained on video examples—that can take written descriptions of a scene and turn them into high-definition video clips up to 60 seconds long. Sora caused shock in the tech world because it appeared to surpass other AI video generators in capability dramatically. It seems that a similar shock also rippled into adjacent professional fields. "Being told that it can do all of these things is one thing, but actually seeing the capabilities, it was mind-blowing," Perry said in the interview.

https://arstechnica.com/information...ver-ai-video-tech/?comments=1&comments-page=5

or original article at Hollywood Reporter:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/tyler-perry-ai-alarm-1235833276/

Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
    • Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. That's it, time to ban AI. The idea that Tyler Perry can use AI to multiply the amount of crap he makes, is genuinely terrifying...

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  4. Dark6ixer

Dark6ixer Kapellmeister

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

5. Choosename

Choosename Platinum Record

“It is only a question of a short time when the carriages and trucks of every large city will be run by motors. The expense of keeping and feeding horses in a great city like New York is very heavy, and all this will be done away with. You must remember that every invention of this kind which is made adds to the general wealth by introducing a new system of greater economy of force. A great invention which facilitates commerce, enriches a country just as much as the discovery of vast hoards of gold.”
    Thomas A. Edison
    from the New York World of November 17, 1895

6. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

is it a coincidence that i only know and watch the movies he acted in, but not the ones he did something else?

he even has a production studio? wow never heard of him ...

7. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Rock Star

they love pocket watching i swear

8. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

We all know how it is going to end ... even if most don't want to admit it
    Same with music and everything else.

AI is the "virtual production" equivalent of physical industrial mechanisation : a mean to accelerate production AND avoid human work

Virtual/non physical market saturation will grow even faster.
    Because a physical product need to be moved from A to B point to be sold.
    It takes time and long cycles (even if they are faster than ever).

But virtual products sells are almost instantaneous.
    Saturating market faster than ever.

Since ChatGPT, internet is ALREADY flooded by a stack of useless "products".

And ChatGPT is only public since 30 11 2022.

Like most AI public solutions : less than 2 years ... and it is already a flood mess :rofl:

So yeah !!!
    Use AI massively and destroy the whole market by creating a stack of useless cheapo films :like::wink:

9. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

crappy films we can deal with, they are a natural byproduct of film production since persistence of vision was discovered. However if no one has a job, no one will pay to watch a movie, or even care to watch a movie since finding dinner will be their main thoughts..

a film without an audience is the noise a tree makes falling in a forest when no one is present. AI is the pink slip that just fired the future.

10. Audioguydaz

Audioguydaz Kapellmeister

It's fine though. Just keep making music. Let the purge happen in the vacuous space it occupies.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

yeah. I'll give this one to you... That "sora" platform does qualify to have the moniker artificial "intelligence" tacked onto it. However, we (as private producers or engineers) won't be seeing (or be able to afford to use) this or anything like it for a while, if ever. The stuff we get here in the audio/video production trenches is NO WHERE NEAR the capability of that "sora" platform... So who really cares? Hollywave? Hollywave needs to be shaken the fuck up at this point because in the last 5+ years the larger percentage of shit coming out of there has been astounding...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Choosename

Choosename Platinum Record

More and more we are gonna find handcrafted movies, and AI crafted products. As a differentiate product, tagged as, at the end there will be a commercial war, between this two kind of things. Lately one is gonna win, and get over the market. The other will stay only as a fashionable and expensive way of doing things. Like vynils and gigs now on indy artist ( a way to survive), and the ridiculous amount spotify pays per listen.

A time latter all the creativity and critical thinking is going to dessapear from humans. We are going to ask everything to AI, to the point nobody has the independence from this new gadget, we will be dependents more an more on AI. TO the point, when you born, they assign you an AI supernanny, that is gonna control you every aspect of your life and entertain you infinetly.

All the society will be like sheeps, they'll react in pack. There are waves of new disseases that affects millions. Like 10 million people jumping to a river, because they will loose the conection with their instincs, and free will, totally controlled for the "one kind thinking" of the AI.

Open your eyes. AI is here to preserve and save this planet from the selfpity and greed that humans project on nature, destroying this planet, before we can find another one to live. Better now, destroy all the chipsets at your hand and start a new beggining, where humans are still the center of life.

13. wuzzle

wuzzle Platinum Record

Lesser Galactic Co-ordinates: Earth (0.0.0)
    AI just perpetuates Hollywood's inclination to profit off existing IP's with a reboot/remake every generation. Nothing new will come of it.

14. m.sarti

m.sarti Producer

Per Perry,"I just hope that as people are embracing this technology and as companies are moving to reduce costs and save the bottom line, that there’ll be some sort of thought and some sort of compassion for humanity and the people that have worked in this industry and built careers and lives, that there’s some sort of thought for them."

Tell that to the people who are going to be able to enter a couple paragraphs of scenario and have "bespoke" feature films delivered by stream or download to their computers.

15. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

For sure

AI in general is a gigantic copy / paste
    And will copy / paste itself till the end

16. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

I mean if AI is threatening a system that allows such accumulation of capital by someone like Tyler mofo'in Perry...

I don't see any problems.

17. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

nice one... but the delete button is missing, like: "delete the human workforce in favor of AI"

18. officialswish

officialswish Member

Tyler perry using AI for his piss poor romance dramas is pure comedy

19. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

I remember that I was one of those here who warned about this. Many members said "relax dude, it's going to take a long time unil something to come to us", "Ai is stupid, it doesn't create anything, we give ideas and it implements everything for us", among other types of bizarre and ignorant (in the sense of ignoring the inevitable) comments. There's the result. The Pentagon and China are not investing in AI to make everyone's lives easier. The order was very clear: feed these neural networks with everything possible to develop strategies and weapons for subjugation and cut costs in the private sector to obtain maximum profit (save every penny possible on the production lines).

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  20. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

It's coming... 'Build “AI” for a More Exploitative Future' :

It's supposed to be satire, but you know...

21. Mynock

Mynock Audiosexual

Yesterday, talking to a fellow audio designer (full of oneself), he told me:
    Bro, if you're not using GPT4 to produce anything profitable, you're screwed! Nowadays idiots will buy anything...
    I replied:
    of course! nowadays, there are idiots who will sell anything!