Tutorial - How To Activate Adobe Flash In Firefox Permanently

Discussion in 'PC' started by r4e, Jul 15, 2015.

1. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

Hey,
    since several versions of Mozilla Firefox, outdated external plugins are getting deactivated
    for security reasons. You may have seen this for Adobe Flash on some video platforms.

[​IMG]

After a bit research I finally found a way to permanently activate the plugins without
    having to update 'em nearly everytime.
    For example in the recent days Adobe updated the Flash Player a couple of times
    and I always had to update or click two times (enable on this site -> once or always)
    to watch a video and that for each video on each site.
    That bugs me when I just want to see a quick tutorial or something like that.

How To:

Close all instances of Firefox.

Navigate to
    C:\Users\-- Your UserName --\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
    and open the profile dir which is called something like
    abcde123.default

You could also open the editor of your choice, copy and paste the following code,
    save it as "Firefox Profile.cmd" and run that cmd/batch file. It will automatically
    search and open that dir for you in the windows explorer:

Automated batch script to open the Firefox Profile Dir
    by r4e

Code:
    @echo off
    title Firefox Profile
    mode con: cols=36 lines=8
    color 2f
    cd /D "%AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles"
    > %temp%\Countdown.vbs echo Wscript.sleep 875 && set r1=start /w %temp%\Countdown.vbs && cls
    echo. 
    For /D %%I IN (*) Do echo. && echo     Profilename: %%I && echo     ---------------------------- 
    echo. && echo     Profile-Dir gets opened in: && echo. && echo         ####### 3 ####### && %r1% && cls && echo. 
    For /D %%I IN (*) Do echo. && echo     Profilename: %%I && echo     ---------------------------- 
    echo. && echo     Profile-Dir gets opened in: && echo. && echo         ####### 2 ####### && %r1% && cls && echo. 
    echo. && echo     Profile-Dir gets opened in: && echo. && echo         ####### 1 ####### && %r1% && cls && echo. 
    del %temp%\Countdown.vbs
    For /D %%I IN (*) Do %WinDir%\Explorer.exe %%I

In the profile dir you'll find a file called "pluginreg.dat". Open it in the txt editor
    of your choice (I use Notepad2-Mod, which is a Windows Notepad Clone with all that extra
    features that converts notepad to a good and extremely fast editor)
    and search for the word "flash".

Each plugin entry begins with the filename of the plug and ends with a couple of lines
    for which it is used.

In my case it looks like this:
    Code:
    NPSWF32_18_0_0_203.dll|$
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32_18_0_0_203.dll|$
    18.0.0.203|$
    1436801036372|0|0|0|$
    Shockwave Flash 18.0 r0|$
    Shockwave Flash|$
    0|application/x-shockwave-flash|Adobe Flash movie|swf|$
    1|application/futuresplash|FutureSplash movie|spl|$ 

To avoid the "outdated" messages, you just have to change the version numbers to something higher
    like 20.0.0.203. The result is, that you'll get that message again, when Flash Player 20.0.0.505 (example) is released.
    So let's change the version number to 200.x to avoid it nearly permanently. ;)

This looks like that:
    Code:
    NPSWF32_18_0_0_203.dll|$
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32_18_0_0_203.dll|$
    200.0.0.203|$
    1436801036372|0|0|0|$
    Shockwave Flash 200.0 r0|$
    Shockwave Flash|$
    0|application/x-shockwave-flash|Adobe Flash movie|swf|$
    1|application/futuresplash|FutureSplash movie|spl|$ 

After that you just have to save the file and restart Firefox

You'll also notice that changed version number in the addon settings of firefox
    [​IMG]
    and as long as Adobe Flash Player v200.x isn't out, you'll never see this message again.

greetings, r4e

3. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

awesome! thanks man! :)

4. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

Btw. This also works with all other plugins listed in that file.
    I think I'll stick with Flash 18.0.0.203 cause it's the first version that doesn't crash
    at least once in half an hour on my machine and for the "Security Reasons" I have
    GData Internet Security installed.

5. bigboobs

bigboobs Kapellmeister

OMG... have fun with security holes. Didn't you read about that "Hacking Team" issue?

If your computer is compromised via flashplayer, your Gdata security thing is probably useless, because the attacker gains admin rights through that hole - so it's kinda "legit" what he does then.

Nobody should follow your instructions - for security reasons! Just update important plugins (like flashplayer, browser, acrobat reader etc) regularly.

6. Willum

Willum Rock Star

I wrote a huge post explaining why this is one of the stupidest things i have ever read but in the end all it comes down to this: JUST DELETE FLASH, ITS NOT SAFE TO USE!

The source code to flash got stolen from adobe, the bad guys have by now found all the exploits that they will need for months to come. its not safe.

Most of the videos on youtube are playable using HTML5 video playback codecs in firefox now.

7. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

Didn't you read about that "Bananas are toxic for dogs" issue?

You know what I mean? If you are experienced in what you are doing on and with your machine and OS,
    you can secure your stuff. Also GData is up to date with any security issue especially with such
    famous lacks like the one you possibly get with Flash.

Even if it happens - what do they get from me? Passwords? Nope - secured in my brain and 8192Bit encrypted
    on an external disk/"flash" drive. My login data for audiosex? Nope, I'm writing here from my
    virtual PC without anything else but firefox installed and using a VPN. Naked fotos from me? Nope, doesn't exist.
    My music projects? Nope, my "creativity" machine isn't connected with the net. etc...

I don't care about that issue since even if it happens to me, it doesn't happen to my data.
    And btw. you still can update Adobe Flash if you want to get rid of any issues that get fixed with updates.

8. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

What about Google Chrome? I was a Firefox user than switched. Never looked back.

9. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

Don't know. Never used Chrome since it doesn't allow external addons which aren't signed by google
    (like adblocker who block google ads). For me that's more a lack of security even if it's not security related
    than Adobe Flash.

10. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

I'm using ADBlock... On 3 machines... So it's possible to use it... Plus all bookmarks and passwords are shared across differents device running google chrome

You guys should try it. 3 minutes for the installation...

11. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Google is the last place where I would want my passwords stored.

12. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

Ofcourse, everyone makes his choice. The last time i had to install adobe flash was on 2008 with Firefox. Good luck guys.

13. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

Ye, making the choice between installing flash once in a time or giving all the passwords to google is very easy to me!

14. Mostwest

Mostwest Platinum Record

mmm... i'm sure that if you have a youtube channel they already own that password...

Plus also Firefox stuff is storing all your data and info. Facebook stores informations too. But people still using it.

When you have tons of password and account on the net it's nice to have the browser do the job for you... same goes for Firefox, Safari and others. nothing new.

15. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

@r4e:
    any idea how to solve that issue on linux ?

16. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

I have a Youtube channel and yes - because of Youtube is a part of the Google company,
    they have stored the password. It rather would be strange if another company would have
    stored the passwords for any YT Account.
    It's more about all the other accounts and passwords I never would "donate" to google.

In my case firefox doesn't store any passwords or data. As I said I have a brain and that
    have my passwords and after each session with firefox, my data (cookies, recent sites,
    temporary files etc.) gets deleted. Additionally I use a nice password manager called
    Sticky Password (also known as Kaspersky Password Manager but that one is just a franchise
    of the original Stucky Password) which allows me to login the secured way without using
    my brain.

Rhodes
    I'm not familiar with linux instead of using Backtrack/Kali from time to time.

If you have a profile dir you should have a look inside. Maybe there is the same file
    you can edit. Btw. does Flash work on linux?

17. bigboobs

bigboobs Kapellmeister

Ok, just forget it, it's hopeless to discuss with you, because you think that your solution is the best one. It's not, it's pure snakeoil.
    I pray for 2 things:
    first, hopefully nobody follows your instructions, because it's obviously err... dumb
    second, I hope you get hacked or something, especially through a flash security issue, just to show you that you're wrong :P

good luck

18. r4e

r4e Audiosexual

Lol, revenge post!
    My solution is not "the best one", it's just the one I prefer most.
    Your solution seems to be the best in your opinion - there we have it, a standoff.

I hope you'll get hacked too just because you hope I'll get - revenge grrr ;)

Have a nice day,
    greetings, r4e

19. Rhodes

Rhodes Audiosexual

"High Hopes" :rofl:

Yes... everything works on linux... Microsoft stole halve of the linux ideas and visuals to build their W10.

...jokes apart, Flash has been for Years an optional install on linux... now is integrated on most distros (except Kali and some serious distros that do not tolerate the vulnerability that Flash has)

in the past, there were a few alternatives to Flash, but than they embraced Flash for some unknown reason to me :dunno:

(btw.
    yesterday they released the patch, so the activation problem is solved, but it happens from time to time with the new updates coming... )