Tutorial for protecting against tracking (for using warez)

Discussion in 'PC' started by RockyJohnson, Nov 13, 2023.

1. RockyJohnson

RockyJohnson Newbie

Can anybody please provide me with a tutorial of things i need to do before running software on my computer for example certain trackers and sites that need to be blocked via hosts file and whatever I need to do with my firewall. I want to run FL and some r2r releases but I've been ill for 3 years and have forgotten almost everything to do with protecting yourself for recreational music making.

A simple rundown of all the things I need to do would be much appreciated...Cheers.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  3. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

Here are several threads with huuuge lists of hosts file entries (use Search on top right). I've almost none of them (I think 2, or 4), but blocked all my audio apps in the standard windows firewall with additional rules (not too difficult). So far it works.

4. DT990PRO

DT990PRO Newbie

For Mac OS use little snitch

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

it's annoying to have to drop to a command line and edit hosts file every time you install something. you should get an application firewall for Windows like Tinywall. Or search for it here and you will find windows users discussing the kinds of firewall you want to use. If you use only hosts to block anything, it has two drawbacks. The main one is that you may not block all the required domains you might need to list, and that means outgoing traffic could get through. The other drawback to hosts, is that you will not be able to access the domains you list at all. A firewall with correct rules will still allow you to visit those domains with your browsers, but not allow other outbound traffic to those domains; originating from the plugins and programs you would block with firewall rules.
    Some plugins and programs try to evade your firewall rules so they can get out. That's when you really want to use hosts.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2023