Turn an expressive brass loop into a smooth one

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Ryck, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Ryck

Ryck Guest

Hi guys!
    Well I was experimenting with sounds and FX, and I found something curious. If you put the Izotope effect "RX Guitar De-Noise" and , just activate "Pick", raise the sensitivity and the reduction to the maximum, you get an "Emulation" of a soft brass, in this case I did it with a sax, which as you can hear in the audio, it's very expressive. I found it interesting and wanted to share it with you (my crazy ideas) In addition, the same loop that you have all expressive, with this option you can make one part softer and another expressive, play with it. I only tried this in brass, and in a voice that I recorded, in the voice it does not give the same result. But you can also try other instruments. Well, I hope it will be useful to someone.

Edit:
    Here I mixed between both, the expressive part of the loop and the part with it (FX) to give it smoothness and so you could play with the parts in a loop that is all expressive

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2022
  3. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Nice find. I love sample mangling, too. One of my best tricks is using various samples as IRs. Try that. :wink:

4. Ryck

Ryck Guest

I kept thinking. What do you mean by using multiple samples as IRS? What will you use as a reverb in the background? As an environment? or to copy the eq as in the cab of guitars and basses?

5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Errr, I mean using a perfectly normal sample as Impulse Response instead of amp or reverb IRs. It gives you unpredictable results and very often pleasing ones. It's a treasure trove of weird sounds usually suitable for pads. :wink:

I'm actually puzzled you haven't thought about doing that before. I love IR processing but not for the intended purpose. ;)

6. Ryck

Ryck Guest

Let's see if I can understand.
    You say load a sound sample directly into the IRS loader? Yes, that's it.. I did it once and it sounds too high frequencies.

7. clone

clone Audiosexual

A treasure trove for easily making insane pads (that you have little control over the outcome) is using PaulStretch. It's in Audacity default installation, if you happen to use it.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  8. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Oh yes, timestretching is always yummy. :P