Tube Preamp or Audio interface

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Nimbuss, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

Has anybody got any experience with the Presonus BlueTube DP v2?

I just found one which has been marked down and am considering buying it.

My question is: If i should purchase this, or find a better audio interface and scrap the tube and just use software emulation? (I'm currently using the M-Audio Fast track MK II)

My routing would then proceed like this:

Se 2200A II(Vocals) -> Tube Pre -> M-Audio -> DAW

From what I understand, you can't fully 'bypass' the sound of the M-Audio pre, but the phantom power won't be on, and the gain knob will be all the way down.

My only worry is that my interface isn't ' high-end ', so I presume the A/D converters aren't amazing (although they've always been getting the job done).

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance.

3. The Koala

The Koala Ultrasonic

Hi !

To my mind you should get a better audio interface. In fact, cheap tube preamp aren't really that good. Usually tubes need a really high voltage to work properly, between 200V and 400V. Here the tube is powered with 12V. This results in more distorsion from the tube, but not in the same way as the warm sound that everybody is looking for when buying that kind of gear...

What is your budget ? Are you working with Windows or Mac OSX ?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Warry12

Warry12 Member

Buy an audient 22.

Pre amps (specially tubes) usually color the sound unless you buy a very expensive one.

You want something very neutral, otherwise you get the wrong mixing down.

5. The Koala

The Koala Ultrasonic

I agree with Warry, if you can afford an Audient and you don't need many I/O, go for it ! Also RME makes the cleanest preamps. I own a Focusrite Saffire 40, really nice too and cheaper than Audient, but a bit more colored.

6. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

Hi @redcraft31 I'm running windows 7, my budget right now would be somewhere between $200-300 but I would rather save up for something with better converters.

I agree with wanting a neutral sound but at times I wouldn't really mind a bit of hardware warmth, that's why I was considering adding the tube to the chain but if that model will not benefit me in any way i'll continue saving.

7. The Koala

The Koala Ultrasonic

Well it will give you a bit of warmth... but don't expect much more !
    In fact, if you want mire warmth, a tube microphone would be better than a classic one + a tube preamp. But remember that the sound quality is limuted by the worst piece of gear in your audio chain. It would be better to first upgrade your audio interface.

If you can wait and buy an Audient Id22, it's perfect ! Otherwise the Focusrite Saffire and Clarett range is pretty good. If you don't have Firewire on your computer, there is also the Scarlett range. Check out Presonus interface, they're not that bad, even if I'd rather go for Focusrite. Roland and Steinberg interfaces are also nice ;)

8. Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64 Platinum Record

We all remember that head to head test between an Art Tube preamp and a Great River many did choose the Art over the Great River

I have an Art have it for over a decade still works fine maybe i need to change tube some day but preamp tube dont need to be changed very often..

Read the comments it is a good laugh
    https://www.gearslutz.com/board/gea...n-you-tell-difference-art-vs-great-river.html

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. My 2cents is to get a used RME Babyface as they are now going for just about 300 bucks or less because the new Babyface Pro came out recently. Both preamps are super quiet with a good 60 db of clean gain. You could always add color with a plug-in later on down the line according to your need and your taste. The converters are wonderful and you will never ever have driver problems for as long as you live.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

Thanks for the link @Guitarmaniac64 , I've always wondered about the ART Tubes and I guess the proof is in the pudding hehe..

@superliquidsunshine if this is true, I will most definitely consider finding one, i've always liked the brand, right now the cheapest one on Ebay seems to be around $450 but they don't seem to ship to my country (and import costs are usually high). I'll keep looking though!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  11. The Koala

The Koala Ultrasonic

GuitarManiac that's surprising ! Now I have to try out the Tube MP :p

A bit off-topic, but I really like Slate Digital Virtual tape machine or the free and excellent Variety of Sound TesslaSE to add some saturation to the sound. TesslaSE works really well on bass and kicks !

12. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I say scrap both Presonus and M-audio and buy yourself a nice sounding Focusrite Scarlett audio interface. Combining Presonus preamp with M-audio interface is not really a way to go IMO, although this Presonus preamp in itself is a really nice bargain preamp, but if you buy it solely for its tubes you will be disappointed as that's not a proper tube implementation that they use. You really are better off using plugins for tube emulation. :wink:

Cheers!

• List
  13. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

I've always thought they were in the same boat as all the other ' cheaper ' interfaces, may I ask why you feel they are better? I'm asking this because they are easy to get where i'm from.

14. BBSiteUser

BBSiteUser Producer

As I actually got Sudio One through a hardware purchase (Studio Live mixer 24.4.2) all I'd like to add here is that I'm not overly fond of Presonus hardware. My second recommendation would be: don't fall for the mystic "tube" buzzword - doesn't make sound magically better just because some electrons are scrammed through some pentode.

I have an SPL GoldMike, looks great, not too pricey either, but hey ... nothing really special. Another tube-piece in the studio is the A-Designs MP-2A, also: more expensive than SPL, I do find it sounds a bit better than the GoldMike.

As suggested in other posts, I'd check for a used RME or even better (my personal taste!) Audient.

• List
  15. eboe

eboe Producer

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

I love PreSonus products. I use their interface and headphone amp. Their customer service is top notch. They have a great recipe for jambalaya in all their manuals! If you only own just one piece of hardware and you use mics, a pre-amp is my recommendation. That being said, if you use a pre, try to get one you can adjust the impedance. Variable impedance is the most valuable thing for changing the sound of any mic. I can vouch for ART pre amps, but you can buy me an Avalon or LAB if you want.. Also, if you buy a new Presonus, you get Studio One and on line support..Mic (my vocal choice is Blue Reactor) -ART MPA II-PreSonus1818VSL-via SPDIF or Analog mic out/in.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
  17. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

@Nimbuss "I've always thought they were in the same boat as all the other ' cheaper ' interfaces..."

I always thought the same, too, until one of my clients bought it. He needed a nice sounding interface that he can carry around so we decided to buy a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 [firewire], and we were both very satisfied with how it sounded. For about 200 euro it is a real bargain. I don't know what the new ones go for, and I don't think Scarlett preamps can sound worse than Saffire ones. That's why I suggested Scarlett since there is a USB/Thunderbolt version of it, so you're also future proof if you get a laptop with thunderbolt. The Focusrite ASIO driver seems to work alritght, too. RME Babyface is also a really good interface but it is more expensive and has less features than Saffire/Scarlett interfaces.

Cheers!

18. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

19. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Im gonna tell you a secret.
    I can make a 200$ dollar drum kit sound like a 2.000$ drum kit.
    Tuning,right drumheads and the knowledge of knowing how to hit the drums is the recipe.
    People think buying expensive gear will give them magical results.
    There is no magic in production just knowing what the fuck you are doing.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  20. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Absolutely true. But part of that is: if you are using mics to get tracks, you want the best sound you can get with selection, placement, technique before anything else gets done or applied, usually. So, in some cases, a good pre- amp on the mic can make a lot of difference.

21. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

Ofcourse,but there a now cheap chinese big name replicas that mimic the circuitry of the past technology very well.
    Home audio production these days is just amazing,you dont have to be a super wealthy individual to get things done.