Trying to set up a MIDI Device [solved]

Discussion in 'Studio One' started by ghostwriter, Feb 23, 2021.

1. ghostwriter

ghostwriter Member

Hello,
    When setting up my midi device, Studio One recognizes input, but only note input. When moving the modwheel, or pitch bend, or anything else (sliders, knobs, etc) nothing happens, despite studio one giving visual feedback (when moving the mentioned pitch bend, sliders, knobs, etc, the little orange next to the performance tab lights up).
    Anyone else experienced this and know how to fix it?
    Thanks.

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

the "orange light" activity is occurring because the DAW is seeing the CC data flowing into it. it's not doing anything because it's not assigned to anything or is being filtered. :snuffy:

4. ghostwriter

ghostwriter Member

Well, how do I tell Studio One that modwhell data is, well, modwheel data? And everything else too

5. clone

clone Audiosexual

I'm sorry for the generic response but you have left out every detail besides which DAW it is. You have your controller keyboard, midi in to the computer. your DAW is showing activity. You know this is working. Where is it routed then? That data needs to be routed to something in Studio One. Like an instrument plugin, or out to external hardware sound source. With the correct corresponding Midi Channels set.

When you record CC automation data like pitchbend, mod; it is on that CC number. (continuous controller). The value can be 1-128. the CC# is what will send that data back to the device. if sent to a different device that CC number may control another parameter like mod. Or you MIDI Learn/Smart Controls a physical control to a parameter's value on whatever destination you link it to.

I don't know Studio One, so I watched some of this yt:

6. halfman73

halfman73 Platinum Record

7. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I don't know much about hardware midi controllers, I use a Midi keyboard app. So take this with a grain of salt.
    I think unless your Midi controller is explicitly supported on the S1 list you must to define your own. And that includes a bunch of things.
    I have to do it with my Midi keyboard app connected by virtual Midi port, but it's an easy task. Probably much harder with a proper and complex hardware controller.

8. ghostwriter

ghostwriter Member

*facepalm* I figured out what was wrong. I ticked "pitch bend" and "controllers" in the options menu, thinking they were on/off switches. No, they were filters. That is why they weren't working.