Trying to organize Kontakt and other NI software

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by El Duderino, Apr 22, 2024.

1. El Duderino

El Duderino Newbie

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to figure out which are the "main" Kontakt folders where it stores and look for relevant content for all libraries not located in the library folder or the NKR. There seems to be several folders with similar content scattered all over the *Program Files" and "Users" folders that contain different files or folders containing almost the identical content. For example there are several folders containing "images" for the Library browser. I've tried to search the forum for this information but perhaps it would be good to create a new thread to gather this information. Or perhaps there is already a place where all this information is laid out and if so I would really appreciate if someone could direct me to this source. But it seems that there might also be differences in the layout structure of these folders depending on the version of Kontakt? So it might not be the same for Kontakt 5 as it is for Kontakt 7.

I'm also trying to wrap my head around what files are actually necessary to register a library and the exakt function and use files like nicnt, xml and other such files have in when it comes to registering a library and in using and running kontakt. For example the nicnt file seems to be used as a resource container for files (xml, NKS resource files, images for library tab and wallpaper for the side bar) that then are scattered into several folders in the "program files" and "users" folders. But it seems that Kontakt also use the nicnt file for maintaining the sidebar library browser but not the "library tab browser"? Or does it if the NICNT file contain the image files from the scattered "image" folders found in different locations? It's all so confusing...

So, could one collect all these files from all the scattered folders and put them into a "main" folders Kontakt uses to find them, and is there a hierarchy baked into Kontakt when looking for these files? Or could you put them inside the NICNT file and delete them from all other places like you would with a NKR file? And would that then cause issues IF you wanted to use the NKS functions a library might have as KOMPLETE or any other compatible software might not look inside the NICNT file for those resources and instead look in a specific folder?

And does Kontakt use one folder as a source to search when building its database and another while running or does it collect these files into the database file itself? But then it would need them if you need to rebuild the database... So many questions!

The same thing goes for NKA, NKSN files that seems to be scattered all over, and it makes it difficult to maintain an overview and to backup libraries. Some NKA files seems to be found by an instrument if you place them inside the Data folder of the NKR file while some will not be found. Perhapes it has to do with how the script is set up in the instrument? But then, is there a folder where it will always look for them? Like a main DATA folder? It's all so confusing.

Can you alter the place Kontakt look for these files in some settings menu or config files so you could keep all specific resources in one place? Or at least a few MAIN folders for each file typ, even if those folders are located in a few different places on the disc.

Maybe I'm missing some part of this puzzle that would make it all make sense but I've been trying to get my head around this for a few months as I've rebuilt, reorganized and minified over a hundred libraries. And I still don't know if I can combine two different libraries containing two different NICNT files as I'm not exactly sure how it would affect both libraries "registry" and functionality in the long run.

Thanks for your time and patience!

3. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

This is still a mystery to me.

The rest I've roughly figured out, except the combining two libs with official nicnt's together. I think it's not possible (instruments encrypted or some shit like that) . I'll try to explain what I know when I have time.

4. El Duderino

El Duderino Newbie

Appreciated!