trying to help a friend mix/master songs, is this going the right way

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by macros mk2, May 30, 2024.

1. macros mk2

macros mk2 Platinum Record

Yo so like the title says I've been ATTEMPTING to help a friend out who makes beats on the m8 tracker. i'm wondering if anyone will listen and give me some pointers/feedback, cause i'm making it louder thats for sure but otherwise.... eh? meh? nahhhhhh? be gentle im a fragile soul

some of his songs i've got access to his track outs and ive mixed a few, but most i'll just take his mix and use it. here is an example of one i just mastered, i'm including his original mix, the "mastered" (in quotations cause i'm not sure i feel like i'm doing enough, or maybe i'm doing too much. fuck!) and then a level matched one to the original.

im just using headphones, i have no monitors cuz $$$+shitty apartment. and i'm just doing this for fun, i'm DEFINITELY not charging him or anything lol and but i'd like to be able to A) get better if possible and B) at least get them in a range so he might sorta know what he can expect if/when he sends them to get mastered by someone with experience and a studio, if possible.

here is a pixel drain link to the 3 versions of the songs, thanks!

https://pixeldrain.com/l/xvPAjxXZ

3. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

I listened to all three. Your master sounds good!

Note: I've not listened to that style of music before, so I don't know what it should sound like.

4. macros mk2

awesome! thanks for checking it out! i'm honestly not sure what genre he makes haha, electronic something or other!

5. quadcore64

quadcore64 Audiosexual

Very good except for one thing. The kick & 808 bass are overpowering the other elements in the mix. Sounds like those are being ducked by a side-chain compressor.

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

it's trap. with some edm. the last samples are from a jungle record from about 94, but not from the vinyl. It's from a nice pack :) So he is using samples from all over the place.

7. macros mk2

yeah that sounds about right on this one haha. some of his songs are more "burial" (the artist) like than this, so overall it's kinda hard to pinpoint to me.

8. clone

clone Audiosexual

I think it would be called trap because of the hi-hat patterns. sorta 36 mafia style triplets and whatnot. it sounds pretty good. I would probably put a de-esser on some of the synth edm sorta parts, or maybe even the hats. they have a little abrasiveness to them.

9. macros mk2

Hey thanks guys for the feedback, I'll keep an ear out for the bass (im STILL trying to guesstimate on how much i can get away with using my headphones) and also try de-essing some of the highs. I've definitely noticed some abrasiveness on the highs, ill try to post one of his songs I mixed later sometime to see if I was able to counter act that properly with some eq and filters.

Thanks again for checking it out, gives me some peace of mind knowing im not COMPLETELY wrecking his stuff!

10. Barncore

Barncore Platinum Record

Sounds good to me man. Super powerful. Comes alive.
    I'd say it's closer to the dubstep side of things than trap. Doesn't really have the trap sway/vibe at all. It's accenting the 1st beat whereas trap accents the 3rd beat. Just a different dance.

Also, not convinced that that "flurry" is hi-hats. I think that's a snare.