Trying to get my own sound, what do you think?

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by IllBert, May 28, 2017.

1. IllBert

IllBert Producer

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. ia

ia Producer

Very cool track! I love it! How to make it?

4. ia

ia Producer

I hear some kind of alloy of classic pads, hip hop beat with hi-pitched lead, reese/dubstep wobble, future bass wobble in the end. Nice!

5. IllBert

IllBert Producer

yeah, Im trying to make a hybrid of all the styles I listen to, and came up with the track after jamming with a bassist friend, main chorus bassline comes from electric bass, bell sounds are recorded and sampled from some small tubular bells I found on a friends house, but yeah you said it all, a mix of downtempo hip hop vibes, some panned dubstep reese, future bass chords, clasic pads from arturia Sem and matrix.... Glad you liked it

6. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

I really love this one! It all works. Just for the sake of improvement I would change, or adjust two things. That flutey synth at 0:44 is very twee, I keep hearing this and I think it just sounds so weak and makes the track sound small and toy-like. If you have to keep it, at least run it through a delay effect of some kind and make it sound interesting. The other thing is the rises; too many and they are the wrong kind of rises; they need to be much gentler or at least lower the vol by half, becaused those risers are building suspense for something big to happen and it never does in this track, so wrong type of riser. But really good track. Make some more and put them on Bandcamp! :like:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

I don't like the drum sounds. The rest of the instruments are so mellow you want to just lose yourself in that pad goodness but you can't because the drums are just too...I don't know, harsh? Attackey? Loud. This is not my kind of music at all so it could be just me.

Really enjoyed the transition to different bassline after the second riser/whatever thing.

8. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

Nothing new or relevant. Just boring.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  9. IllBert

IllBert Producer

thanks for your opinion, I'm not trying to break the music industry, just trying to make unconventional music.

10. boomoperator

boomoperator Rock Star

Nice laid back track, could use some vocals or a rap. Mix wise I'd put the baseline more upfront.

11. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

its pretty good.

the last and least important aspect is "the sound of something"
    you can take a fantastic riff, and sit there and change the instruments to million different ones to hear it with different sounds, but the emotional impact barely changes try it.

the secret is that it is not about "having your sound" the way things sound in music barely effects humans emotionally it is easy to go through change to different sounds, what is important is the musical structure that is what is or can be original unique to you. best thing is master music theory that means infinite options how to do anything the last step is creating "the sound"\

music is literally a language, if a person said to another " im trying to form my own original sentence no one has said before", it is easy to see they have a flaw in their thoughts , what is important is the meaning of the senetcne once they get good at the structure of forming sentences as a byproduct they will create more original sentences, you could compare two peoples "original" sentences. 1. the first person focued on meaning and structure and created a original sentence as byproduct , 2. the second person focused only on creating original sentence as only has that, to a person comparing which is better the one with perfected meaning is better and they care little about the originality of the sentence, but evaluating the second person original sentence that has no focused meaning the person evaluating sees no benefit in the original sentence at all, in fact that thought more of it if the sentence was not original. then when comparing the 2 to each other the first persons with more meaning is 10x better than the second.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. rudolph

rudolph Audiosexual

thanks for your opinion, I'm not trying to break the music industry, just trying to make unconventional music.

But the results are pretty conventional. Sorry

13. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

I understand what you mean, the secret is to have a full understanding of how music works than it is very easy to do things in a different way while still portraying the emotional and fell you want it to have, but say a person did not have much a knowledge on how music actually works or a little , they are unaware all their options and how to express their inner feelings they want to bring out, they dont know how to get the listener to feel what is in them, and music is complex enough being a language and all, it is impossible to make ground by trial and error ( say auditioning laying down a single note at a time with no bearing of context of larger musical structures

for example listen to this video, but through the aspect of not putting importance on the actual sound of the individual things,m but instead the structure the notes the rhythms the location of things the melody the harmony, picture in your mind changing the "sounds" to whatever you want

Music is literally a language just like the one you speak with, imagine a person emphasis being on " I want to have an original sound to my voice" well, they already do its what meaning they portray after learning to navigate the language they speak as a by product they come across as unique voice.by by itself just having a voice that sounds different does not effect those around them in the context of using a language for what it can achieve.
    please take my comments in the context of trying to bring up an important point in a conversation , other have brought up good points also and you have too fine sir.

listen to the song starting at 22 mins it over 10 mins long but bring tears to my eyes everytime see if it effects you the same way see if it is the sound of instruments that moves you so much or if it is the structure and the timings and notes melodies harmonics independent of the sound making them.

what I am saying you ALREADY have your sound! its a matter of bringing it out and expressing it the way your happy with and to move people in the ways you want to!

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  14. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Good Job.
    Just remember there really is no right or wrong with anything. Sometimes sounds are there to annoy for a bit. Or a fake crescendo ...
    Take Prince and his wobbly obnoxious sustained note that takes over for a few bars.......is that wrong? It's a common trick used by many.

Different chords or moving away from the root is something to consider.
    In my opinion it needs a real electric guitar. In fact every song needs a little guitar...

15. ia

ia Producer

How to make this awesome drums and vocal sounds?

16. ia

ia Producer

Can you help me and tell everything that I need to know?

17. IllBert

IllBert Producer

Yeah, you want me to tell you here how I did the drums and vocals?
    The drums: pick some good samples, arrange them, Equalize them, compress them, add a buss for NY compression, add some early reflections buss, I do it with ableton reverb, it's a good choice for early reflections only, then add some thin room reverb, use fab filter saturn to add some gentle saturation.

Regarding the vocals: sample some vocals you like, duplicate twice so you have the same vocal 3 times, hard pan 2 of them left and right, pitch the 2 hard panned ones +10 cents and -10 cents respectively, subtractive EQ, compression, additive EQ, shape the transtients to your liking, saturation, reverb...

It's just what I did, I dont know if I did it good, I'm just learning.

Hope It helped you

18. IllBert

IllBert Producer

I never seek perfection in my songs, just start them and finish them, when I learn a lot is during the full process, storing unfinished songs in a folder is bad.

19. ia

ia Producer

Yes, how to find this sounds, what plugins you using for this?

Tell me more about reflection

How to find this vocals?

20. IllBert

IllBert Producer

It's not about the which vocals or samples man, just try to do your music.

21. BENZZER

BENZZER Ultrasonic

sounds good, I like the drums

..but it sound not very unique/new to me