Trying to connect to a shared network folder with new computer

Discussion in 'PC' started by Tomsm, May 13, 2019.

1. Tomsm

Tomsm Newbie

Hi All,
    Trying to help out my new place of employment since I am unfortunately the only techy person here. Most all of the computers on the system are Win 10 except for one ancient Win98 machine that has a shared folder called SCANS that the office copy machine saves all of the document scans to. One of my co-workers had to replace her PC with a new one recently and no matter what I do I cannot seem to get access to that shared folder for her. I really don't know much about how this tiny network is setup here other than it appears to be just a basic workgroup setup. If I ping the "COMPUTER3" from that computer I get a normal response.....but if I enter "\\Computer3\Scans" in the folder address bar I get a "cannot connect to folder......."
    I'm at a loss as what to do next......please help.
    ringtone download: https://downloadringtonesfree.mobi/

Last edited: Mar 15, 2023
  3. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

hit key combo : windows-key+E , to start the explore

you should see some stuff there, including :"This Pc" and its harddrive(s)

go to the bottom of that list, and look for "network" - click that, and if you are in the same workgroup, the other computers should show up

if you are not in the same workgroup, you need to lookup what the name of the workgroup is, do that on one of the other computers that are connected, and then on the new pc, hit windowskey and got to "settings" - then use the search box at the top and type "workgroup" and it should showup, and you go and change/join the workgroup under "change settings" on the right.

hope this helps. im no techsupport guy just a music guy, soooooooooo :)

4. wouala woualouf

wouala woualouf Platinum Record

- go to the win98 machine, and try to access a win10 shared folder you can easily create and share. This will confirm your win98 has the tcpip stack correctly installed.
    Also, check the network settings on the 98 machine, dynamic ip or fixed ? Connection to other dns server ? Is the work group the same ?
    On win98, if you 'run' then type the share, like \\win98\sharedscan, it should open a window with the content of the shared folder. ..to see if the share is well done.

You could try to access the win98 machine by its ip address, like
    \\192.168.10.10\sharedscan
    instead of
    \\win98computer\sharedscan

It could be some services not running. ...it could be a ton of things. ..
    hope it works :)

5. poly

poly Platinum Record

6. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

This is what I was thinking. On the Windows 10 boxes, you will have to turn on (install) the SMB V1/CIFS Client feature to access the Windows 98 share. Look for it by searching for windows feature in the Kortana bar.

7. marthapstevens

marthapstevens Newbie

I think that nowadays it is better to use cloud storages for such things. You can download Dropbox, for example, https://freewindows10.download/soft/dropbox/ and upload all files to a folder on this online storage and just share it. You will be able to use this data everywhere. I have even forgotten how to share the folder with other PCs that are in your LAN.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  8. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Good suggestion when internet is always available to every device you have.
    Not sure how I'd feel about connecting a Windows 98 machine to the internet.
    In my case there's no internet at home, so cloud storage wouldn't be an option.