Trying something new.. (for me)

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Vaijj, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

Dont know how to say but im kind of interested to hear some opinions on this.. On the other hand maybe its time for a change. After 35 years of playing the guitar and bass i have fallen more and more into exploring synths etc. Even if my roots are still in it and ill write as i normally would i more and more go to my beloved Omnisphere. Reason i post this is i have been searching for a sound i like. Wet, large and in the direction of "synthwave" as its called. But having big trouble liking the drum sound in that genre. Not saying my is good or better but to me this is more in the direction i wanna go.

With that said, please feel free to come with any kind of input.. And yes the title is to honor my Thai wife's king that passed away about a year ago..

• Like x 3
    • Love it! x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Well done, respect, though I would prefer less produced drums in this context.
    I noticed flames on the bd at 2:44. On purpose?

4. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

Thanks for your input.. and no it wasnt intended.. But i havnt got the hang on SD3 and layering drums yet. So at this stage i havnt gone over all hits yet so it can be a midi note that sneaked in there.. And i think you are right that the drums are a little over produced. Having a real hard time to get the sound i want on the drums.

I dont wanna end up working with samples but kind love the reverb that is used on alot of Synthwave drums. I may have to use other snares to get there, that sound bigger from the start. Said it in a earlier post about drums that i dont have a problem when it comes to mixing metal or hard rock. But in this kind of music "real" drums just dont sit right to me.. but maybe some input from guys wo knows can help me out on that..

Im pretty sure that once AlyJames is done with porting his VSDSX i can layer thoose lovely sounding Simmons drums SD3 or BFD and be very close to what i think will sound right..

Once again No Avenger, thanks for your input and a chance to get some of my thoughts out..

5. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

seems pretty good. i think big and fat electro drums and zero octave 808s might give you better results for the drums good luck!

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

Do you have any tip on what plugin to use for that MMJ2017? Its seriously new territories for me.. and reading up on it is a jungle..

7. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

On the bd I would try less kicky and less bassy treatment.
    On the sn I would use longer predelay and less grainy (maybe due to snare wires) and maybe shorter reverb and hear if that works better.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  8. black bounty

black bounty Platinum Record

nice job

what synths did you use ?

+1
    to me, the reverb is ok.
    80's (that's what synthwave is, actually, some 80's pop-rock revival) drums had often a lot of reverbs on snares
    I think toontrack SD has a pop drumkit that could fit your needs, otherwise, there's a few samplepacks / kontakt drumkit out there.

drums are indeed the hardest to find when it comes to this genre

but great job. totally in the spirit (soundwise)
    :bow:

9. Vaijj

Vaijj Platinum Record

Thanks for the tips.. i will try to find away around the wires..

For the synths.. Well its only Omnisphere and one instance of Uvi Falcon (using vintage vault2). There are actually some vintage drum modules in VV2 that i may try to blend with BDF or SD3. Maybe i can find some wet simmons in there. Kontakt you say.. mm.. should look into that..