Trying sendig music to radio stations

Discussion in 'Internet for Musician' started by Triple, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Triple

Triple Member

Hi!
    A radio station in my country (of national reach) has on its web emails to presenters/DJs who host various broadcasts on this station. Out of curiosity, I'm gonna send them my song and ask if they could play it on air:) (maybe I'm too naive thinking that they'd care... :) But I'll see if they reply to me at all:)

However, I'm a no-name artist. Haven't released any songs yet.

(Assuming that the radio station would like my song) :
    1) Do you know if a radio station could be willing to air a song that has no ISRC code and no barcode? (as my song hasn't been released yet)

2) If they search for me e.g. on facebook they'll probably see my fanpage (which I created yesterday) which has 0 fans. Would this factor discourage them from playing the song on air? (we still assume they like the song and they're open to promote young artists).
    Would it be better to buy e.g. a 1000 fake fans for my facebook fanpage (before I send them the song)?

cheers:)

3. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

1) Check the laws or standards for your country, for the answer to this.

2) It's a sad state of affairs, when people make a binding pre-estimation of the quality of an artist's work, or of its commercial viability, based upon the number of Fecebook "likes" or fans/followers. "100,000 idiots like this" - so it must be good.

Radio stations probably get a bazillion submissions meeting such requirements, so the question might be, how or by whom are they vetted?

4. Triple

Triple Member

Yeah, that's sad...

But would you advise me to buy the first 1000 facebook fans so that the radio guy didn't think "oh this artist doesn't deserve to be promoted on our radio because he didn't even gained any fanbase yet" ?

5. boogiewoogie

boogiewoogie Platinum Record

I would not buy likes. if they are smart they might even figure out you bought fake likes (so many likes so fast) and they would see you as a big fraud

6. UV19

UV19 Member

Depending on your market and country, there may be more efficient steps to take rather than getting your song on the radio. Most radio stations (here in the US at least) have a set limitation of songs that they have licensed and those songs have been marketed/payola'd to get on the air and stay on the air. Unless your music is undeniably and universally a hit, more likely or not artists/bands who have been in the game and doing the work to SHOW that they are a minimal risk and maximum reward to the radio station, then the chances of your song being played are pretty low.

That being said, college radio, "local music" night type shows, and late night DJ's are probably your best target. Usually what is being played on the radio is already popular in other circles -- radio is not really the venue of "breaking music" that it used to be -- thats now y0utube! I have worked in Post-Production companies in the past and that is where you should be sending your music. They don't care about "Likes" as much if the song is good for the project they are working on whether it is a commercial, a tv show, movie, internet spot, etc. Often times they prefer to go with a no-name artist because it will be a lot easier on the budget that they have to pass along to their clients. For Radio they are looking to expand their listeners and if you can't help them do that, then they are taking a huge chance and financial risk on someone who is unproven and so far thinking of trying to trick them rather than do the work.

The biggest load of bullshit comes from this debunked mantra that you have to "fake it until you make it". THe fact is that no one is that stupid anymore and if you do trick a lot of people they will definitely find out as soon as your music/performance can't keep up with your "reputation". The best thing to do is to actually take your song(s) and go out and play them for people, make friends with them and ask them to subscribe to your fecebook or youtube if they like you. If they don't like your music (or you) try to find out what details they mean and don't take it personally (though you will). Do shows with other bands or artists so you can share fans!

7. capt_cindy

capt_cindy Member

AND once you submit it,it gets played,liked and wanted, is there a place for your fans to purchase it? or even better, is there a album or ep available?
    why only sell one track when you could sell them your entire album. i learned this looong time ago.

rezz

8. Triple

Triple Member

Thank you guys for your posts!

Is it a must to have my music available on iTunes etc, when I'm trying to get played on the radio?

Do you have some advice on what to do or not to do when trying to promote my music?

9. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Well, depends, if getting airtime is your ultimate goal, then no.
    If you want people to buy your stuff, or to book you as an artist, then yes.
    Is it only radio you want? The days when radio was the most influential means of promotion are long gone...

10. peterA

peterA Platinum Record

In the 'old' days when vinyl was the only option it still took experienced pluggers to get a record played on radio and even that usually relied on them having a personal relationship with the DJ or producer (or plain bribery). These days when everyone and their cat seems to be churning out music your chances of getting a DJ to even listen to your track from the mountain of submissions is virtually nil.

Have you thought about approaching a local internet station? They usually play mainstream music so maybe contacting them and suggesting they feature local musicians might be a start. I get my tracks played this way by engaging with the DJ either through their online chat room if they have one or via their Facebook page.

I know local internet radio stations usually have only a handful of listeners so you won't become famous this way but it's a starting point to get yourself noticed and you never know who might be listening.

11. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Radio stations make money from advertising, so they play specific music that maximises the revenue potential.

12. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Better chance with sending the entire EP to a label that deals the music style you are making.

13. playtime

playtime Rock Star

Just registered after long time from the sister site :)

Okay, since I'm coming from radio business and was managing several stations I can tell you this: I don't think they will play it, especially if this station has national reach.
    No matter what - it's all about programming director who's giving green light for everything that goes on air. And first thing they care about is how it will reflect on advertising, or revenues as mentioned in comment above.

Sad but true. It's just how it works. Proven commercial artists/songs and deals with advertising clients & record companies are what they want. Playlist are carefully created to bring maximum reach over competition.

On the other hand - someone mentioned college radio...yes, also local independent stations, podcast shows and Internet radios are the ones you should try with. They are more open and not so limited by these things.

Anyway I wish you good luck and continue making good music! :wink: