Trying out a funk mix.

Discussion in 'Music Releases' started by lexeed, Jan 22, 2023.

Tags:
  1. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

I usually write hard/art rock or experimental stuff, but tried my hand at writing a semi-funk song. I was in a hard rock band in the late 90s and re-united with my old guitarist (virtually--I live in Ga. and he in Fla.) for this song. We're being the Nerk Twins away from the other two guys (whom I've lost touch with). So trying my hand at something different mixwise. How's the result? I'm the singer and bassist in this, and Shawn handles the guitars. Brass/keys are samples.

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • List
  3. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I like it! But for funk (imho) you gotta ditch the room mics on the drums. They need to sound like they were recorded in a 5x5 carpeted room. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

really good i would say, so what i could just comment is the mix is pretty bad. i think the material is good and with a good creative pro mix it would fly a lot higher. cool track though. cheers

5. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

I think it's more too much parallel comp bringing up too much room. Gotta ease up on it. Thx man.

6. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

What specifically is bad about it?

7. Ryck

Ryck Guest

Personally it sounded fantastic, I really loved it. It is true that it has a lot of atmosphere and that gives to understand that it is a "homemade" recording. But if it had less ambience and I listened to it on the radio, I would think it was a song of some famous person.

8. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

Thanks Ryck. I do believe I went a bit wild with the convolution reverb (Reaper's Reaverb+Room/Ambience irs). It was experimental, but turned out not so hot of an idea, really. I appreciate the specifics.

9. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

:blues: :chilling: :metal: :grooves: :hifive:

10. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Dude. That's needlessly harsh and unconstructive. How about some specifics if you're going to come at him like that? I thought the mix was great, apart from my issue with the drums which could entirely be considered a matter of personal taste. And I won't say that about a lot I hear posted here.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

Brought a smile DT.

12. Blickbard

Blickbard Member

I like it ! As mentioned before I think the drums need to be drier and duller .Maybe put on a Sly Stone record to compare

13. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

I switched styles, but I see that rock side of me still slipped through. Thanks guy.

14. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

To me it doenst sound like a cohesive sound. i dont know what you have dont but the voice and instruments feel far away floating around without presence.

The track is really good though. Very musical compared to lot of other examples we here where many struggle with basic composition, key, scales and flow. nice for a change.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

Thanks for clarifying. Could be because it's not limited to death?

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

im not sure but i dont think that would do any good. its hard to reverse ingenier it in my head,
    If you want a more precise opinion you could invoke our dear tiger who could be more precise and even say if im just imagining things