TrueCrypt encryption data ...

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by mrrnr, Sep 10, 2012.

1. mrrnr

mrrnr Kapellmeister

Hey AudioZ posters need help.

Hope this is the Right section to post..

One of my 3rd External HD (Small 75 Gig) was encrypted with TrueCrypt that was packed away in storage for some time do to that fact we move into a new house... I just got it back and forgot that I had encrypted the HD and now I cant remember the Password..
    (Damn It)

I'm looking to Brute Force the PW but having a hard time understanding this Bumble Jumbo stuff that I'm getting from with when I do a Google search on how to get your Loss PW back..

This HD is not my Main and at this point I'm thinking its not a Big Deal and I'm getting close of formatting the HD..

But before I do that I wanted to take one last stab at it here from your help if there is someone with a better Idea to get back the Loss PW..

Thx for your Input

Rob

3. exodus

exodus Newbie

Simply put, you have no chance. The FBI has tried without success, because the encryption algorithms and the program itself have no backdoors, no password recovery system. Otherwise, it would defeat the purpose of encryption. But read the rest of my post for some hope.

If you remember bits of the password or you use some password on multiple places, try these. In this case, a dictionary attack might save a few seconds if you give it the words or symbols you think you could've used, because it will then try combinations of them or mixing them, etc. It basically tries to do what you would do and won't save you time if you have to learn how to use such a program. You might as well do it by hand, it'll be easier and you might even remember it in the process.

Last but not least, if you have some extremely important stuff on it(which you don't seem to), keep it for the years to come and keep an eye on quantum computing technology because of this. If Moore's law applies on quantum computers, in a few years you might be able to find a quantum computer that can crack it in a matter of seconds. Of course, the waiting might be overkill, but if the data is that important, it's worth it.

4. mrrnr

mrrnr Kapellmeister

Thx for that..I'm just glad I dint encrypted my mains Ex HD's..
    Not all is loss..

Rob

5. mrrnr

mrrnr Kapellmeister

Anybody else !! Want To Chime In?