Triton/Extreme VST & Standalone: GUI elements straining CPU (Mac)

Discussion in 'Software' started by MokuseiFolf13, Nov 9, 2023.

1. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

While I've made a similar post to this issue back in March this year, I took a little more time to see if there were any particular hurdles or patterns that would attain to the ever persistent GUI lagging in both the regular KORG Triton and KORG Triton Extreme plugins/standalone applications. I'll do my best to explain my discoveries without it being redundant.

My computer may be a couple years old but for the most part from consulting KORG's given recommended specs for any of the KORG Collection 4, I can safely say that my machine in its current state does indeed fit the minimum requirements and then some (16GB RAM, i5 Core, etc). Though that is not to say that performance is par with any other more well-optimized soft synths. I wouldn't even say my machine isn't capable of doing a lot of hefty tasks.

Long story short, from small tests, I noticed that the CPU spikes are horrendously high whenever the GUI is displaying the animated volume levels of the output, menu navigation and animations-- generally all eye candy that moves around holds my CPU hostage, even when minimizing the window as well as lowering the max. voice count. However if I were to enter the global menu and navigate the interface, the CPU usage at worst would state that 15% to 25% of it is being occupied by TRITON; even swiping left to right on the in-app keyboard with the mouse doesn't impact CPU usage.

Though it does sound like a daunting and almost hopeless question, but does anybody by any chance have some kind of solution to this? While having the window closed and go about with playing music might sound find, I find it very tedious in having to reopen the plugin/standalone window whenever I'd like to switch to a different patch, so any and all suggestions without drastic measures is greatly appreciated.

Thank you~!

3. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

I have both of these plugins running in Logic on my 2018 MBP (i7, 32GB, Ventura). I tried, but haven't been able to replicate your problem on my end.

4. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

I have a slightly older machine, 2017 21.5" 4K Retina iMac. I'm not too sure if it's a system issue or optimization.

5. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

Well, I think your 2017 iMac with similar specs would easily outrun my 2018 MacBook Pro without breaking a sweat. Desktop processors are inherently faster, etc. than mobile versions. The difference could be in RAM, of which I have 32GB of.

I'm using an app called iStat Menus to tell me how much CPU, memory, GPU, etc. is being used. It will show which application is using the most at any given time, but I can't see which plugin within Logic is using resources.

6. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

Strange... I do know that my browser tends to leave only 5-7GB left of RAM, though I can say, according to Activity Monitor, the range in RAM reserved for Triton ranges from 500MB to slightly over 600MB-- of course that wouldn't be the only process involved that has the potential of adding more RAM usage (coreaudio and the like), but for the most part Triton doesn't seem to have much of an effect on RAM bandwidth.

I did hear from another form explaining a similar issue with regards to CPU spikes that their 2019 MBP had little to no issues with CPU usage compared to their desktop iMac which were suffering these issues. Both Triton and Triton Extreme seem to be the only plugins out of the whole collection as well as the lot of my other plugins that are behaving this weirdly. Even watching a video from 2019 demonstrating the plugin on what seems to be a portable Windows machine seemed to have that jerkiness too.

Rest assured, the spikes don't seem to be interfering with how it outputs sound (no crackles, hardly any dropouts, general overload hiccups).

7. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

I'm using the recent R2R release of Triton and Triton Extreme from the sister site. It is 1.4.1 of the regular Triton and 1.1.1 of the Extreme.

On another similar topic, what about the Triton/Extreme are you most interested in? I bought a 61-key regular Triton new and added MOSS and SCSI back in 2001 or so. I maxed the RAM to 64 MB. All in, it cost me a couple thou$and US at least. There were a few factory patches that I really liked, but I ended up using the sampling a lot. I'd like to use more of the Triton in this plugin.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  8. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

I'm glad you asked! For me it's that bread, butter and jam kind of versatility in the lot of ROMplers of the time often offered. In the case of Triton, it's how clean and nostalgic it is-- it's a little bit hard to articulate. To say the least, it's one of those many ROMplers that each to their own bare a signature character, in the same vain as distinctions between different brands of electric guitars.

To say the least, I'd say it's more so the sound of it.

9. clone

clone Audiosexual

i'm not volunteering for any sorts of extensive testing. that said, i just installed both on 5.1 Mac Pro late 2010, 64gb RAM. High Sierra. Non-Metal GPU. Both are perfect. Running no different than any other plugin I use. Korg Software Pass version is 1.2.4 r2r.

I had previously installed them from Moria, and I just uninstalled them because I wasn't really using them at all. But no technical problem caused that. I have the Korg M1 installed also. No other Korg software.

So these were installed cleanly, not over some prior release. Somehow the problem is on your end.

10. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

You're right. Everyone that has mentioned their ownership of the plugin(s) hasn't ever mentioned having Monterey installed. I'm biting the bullet and am now installing Ventura. Last I tried it was when it was in beta, it couldn't hurt to update my little Mac.

11. clone

clone Audiosexual

I checked them Standalone also. Both show under 3%.

If you had a lot of those Collection plugins installed, I guess it could be remnants but I doubt it. R2R suggest clean install often, so i'm not sure if that is just "standard language" they include with stuff or if they really mean it from results testing. It never hurts.

12. MokuseiFolf13

MokuseiFolf13 Ultrasonic

Very well. I'll look into that as well as upgrading. Monterrey has stood around for long enough, and LP 10.8 is quite enticing.

13. SepticUnderground

SepticUnderground Noisemaker

not cpu heavy, but volumemeters are very sloppy and laggy.

M2ultrastudio with 128GB ram, 60 core GPU, Sonoma, logic pro 10.8

Legit versions