Trevor Gordon - It Was Like...(Deep House)

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by Trevor Gordon, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Trevor Gordon

Trevor Gordon Platinum Record

Hey yall! New release. Kind of rushed the mix and master a little, haven't even checked the master on my monitor speakers yet! ha! The wonders of headphones.....Since it's the middle of the night, I can't turn them on. Oh well....this track had to be finished. I will do touch ups tomorrow. Cheers!

EDIT: OK....final copy finished and replaced. Mastering complete.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  3. flstudioer

flstudioer Kapellmeister

Nicely done
    I think that the "click" on your kick is a little bit loud

4. LV4-26

LV4-26 Guest

I think at a certain time, you should change tone. Because all along your track, the bass plays D. Or to stay on that note (D), you can change the bass movement. Otherwise, great track and what progress in the quality of sound. Better than Daft Punk. Besides, you wear also as a mask?

[​IMG] :hahaha:

5. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Kicks' fine.
    Very nice track Trev. This one's coming with me tonite.
    :wink: x3

6. Trevor Gordon

Hmm...not sure what you mean, I don't think I added a click to this kick. ALthough, when I do, it's usually hard to distinguish.

7. Trevor Gordon

I hear ya. I really didn't want to change the bass up. It was more of a flowing groove for the dance floor than something to be diverse. I did have that thought though, and it ended up not suiting the composition in the end (for me anyhow). Valid point non the less. Thanks! :like::)

8. Trevor Gordon

Cool..glad you dig man!:wink:

9. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Played it in the second segment of my set last nite. Sounded great!
    Thanx!

10. Trevor Gordon

Did you play it live? On a PA system? If so....Just curious how it sounded....I'm getting mixed messages about the sub bass

11. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Yep big system. Sounded solid. No sub issues here. Nice & tight, the track stood up to the rest of 'm. Hands down. :)

12. Trevor Gordon

Awesome.....God...I just don't know what to believe anymore for opinions! I guess I should just go with what sounds right to my ears. I didn't want to over kill it, so I gave it lots of room for DJ's to tweak. I used to DJ and I know it's always good to have some room so they can tweak their eq.

13. kjfarrell

kjfarrell Platinum Record

Nice mixdown mate, really like it.

14. Trevor Gordon

Thanks, I'm doing some finishing touches now, trying to gain a little sub, since that seems to be the one criticism I'm receiving.

15. kjfarrell

kjfarrell Platinum Record

Same, I played it at last night's gig. Stood up really well. Trust your ears mate, you have a good palette.

16. LV4-26

LV4-26 Guest

Hi Trevor,

It is a fact, your composition is impressive for its quality and the ideas that have been taken. It would be useful for some young composers, if you can explain what process did you manage to achieve this track. Where did the idea? Where is provide good samples like the ones you used (I presume of course) for voice. And how and with what to use for mix the track?

Thank you to you Trevor.

Edit: I always think that something is missing in your track for recognized immediately as that of Trevor Gordon. Just 5 seconds more or less into track start. and... Oh yeah! It's Trevor i'm for sure. Now to prove that you are capable of doing, you should probably try to do a remix of It Was Like. A good experience believe me ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2016
  17. Trevor Gordon

Cool! I gotta get some video footage on that! I haven't played out since 2003ish. Haven't been at a party since then either.....man, kind of miss it. Need to find a DJ locally so I can hear my stuff on a live PA.

18. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Sounds good, could use some interest in the bass, but if that's your style so bit.

It's a bit sparkly and bright in places, but it works for it.

19. Trevor Gordon

Hey, what kind of crowd response did you get when you played it? Well received?

20. Trevor Gordon

That's exactly the issue. Perfect analysis.....I need to do an overall roll off on the highs....It seems to be doing the trick.

21. Trevor Gordon

Appreciate the generous compliments. I would like to do a "how it was made" video to give people an idea how bloody long it takes and difficult it can be, to produce a track. This one in particular took a very long time, since I don't like to just throw something together. I go through a ton of trials and errors until I can get the sound and groove I want. Sometimes (literally) I spend like 3 hours on a sound and then I decide "this doesn't suit the track, I'm scraping it". It can be punishing at time, but it's also a good learning curve to perfection. I'll be honest with you-the modern productions I find to be so simple and there (seems to me) less time spent on making them. This doesn't account for everything of coarse, but just yesterday I spent some time trying to find labels that would suit my sound on Beatport, and I gotta tell ya, about 85% of the productions I heard, I was unimpressed with. I don't know if it's me, or if this is just the new sound, but I felt they didn't have depth and soul.

Right now I'm trying to get that feeling of Daft Punk Homework in my productions. There was a lot of love and work put into that album and it still intrigues me today. "around the world" and "909" still amaze me 20 years later.

EDIT: By the way, the vocal came from a Sample Magic CD. I took one little cut that I liked from one of the vox.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016