Trends that physically upset you.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Enoch007, Sep 26, 2011.

?

MIDI PACKS

1. Tool.

52.2%
  2. Crutch.

17.4%
  3. A crutch for tools.

26.1%
  4. I want bash in & collapse the throat of any m@therf%cker who posts a MIDI pack with an aluminum

21.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Enoch007

Enoch007 Kapellmeister

Made a poll.... Vote b!tches!!!!

3. FutureFame

FutureFame Newbie

MIDI packs are a tool. It allows the beat maker to see the melody and makes it easier to make changes or emulate the style.

4. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Crutch. Enables folks to be lazy and not do their own composing, stifles creativity and originality.

5. mrmuck

mrmuck Newbie

:rofl:

6. Enoch007

Enoch007 Kapellmeister

To the tools who voted tool.

Fleshlights are tools.... But you're only pleasing oneself & your definitely not f#ckin'.

7. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Isn't it both?

8. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

in response to the title of this post, I'm going to say skinny jeans.... as to midi packs, I have no feelings, don't use them. Seriously? Physically ill? Like when I hear country music on the radio?

9. bbater

bbater Newbie

MIDI packs are like most anything else- they have a function, and can be helpful if properly used. If misused, they can certainly be a crutch. I'm not impressed by people who cut-and-paste songs together using MIDI patterns, but I'm also not impressed by DJs and electronic musicians who rely heavily on samples and loops to build songs... neither am I impressed by artists who record and promote songs that are just covers of other songs (especially when they're straight covers, with little or no attempt to add any new ideas or innovations to the original songs). However, as someone else pointed out, MIDI files can be useful for analyzing progressions or melodies/harmonies.

Sorry this comment is long... I guess I stumbled onto my soapbox a bit.

10. ghost47

ghost47 Noisemaker

I'm not gonna lie it's made me lazy as sh!@# , But I :dont: use publicly!

11. Davey Jones

Davey Jones Producer

Total crutch. Very lazy.

12. PYRUS MALUS

PYRUS MALUS Noisemaker

You could prolly say the same for Samples -- tool or crutch
    The cool part about the MIDI files is that they can be applied to any VST, once laid in the track the MIDI notes can be moved around, deleted, and tweaked to flave it up and personalize it. I suppose if you used the MIDI file straight out the box as delivered or intended, then yes -- crutch. But as with samples, if you use em' in a project straight out of the box as intended -- crutch -- same shit applies here. I assume most of yall are chopping up these samples and making them your own, rather that using them as is. (I am always a bit shocked when I hear music that can be identified because folks use shit straight out the box -- 'especially Reason Factory Sounds) All this digital shit is crutch anyway -- I imagine most of us would go broke try'n to replace the digital studio (DAW, VST, EFX) with a hardware setup. These are all tools, just like the computer -- But, just cause somebody has a hammer don't make em' a carpenter, gotta work that shit -- same shit applies here. I applaud everyone for trying -- for being creative -- for stickin widit and not giving up on the dream -- 'cause there are a lot worse shit you could be doing in this world. Stay creative, stop the negative vibe -- and inspire others to do the same

13. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Yes, I'm so glad I stopped beating up old ladies.. :rofl:

14. PYRUS MALUS

PYRUS MALUS Noisemaker

Hehehe ! Word !

15. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

okay. i once took a piano sample from an arethra franklin song. extracted the midi in melodyne. Then changed the key of it. next i made inversions out of most of the chords so they would stay in the same freq range for the part, as not to step on my other parts. then to mix it up some more i re-sequenced the midi into like a 16th note shuffle. totally changed it, but it still had the familiarity of a classic soul piano riff. just enough to draw the listener in. like "hmmmmm, that sound like somthing i know, but dont know what"

Tool, cruch, whatever. i will use all the tools at my disposal. just like i will use different plugs and hosts to shape and mold my sounds to get the desired results.

I use to say, dont use samples, roll your own. dont use midi make your own, but hey. Thats stupid. USE EVERYTHING :wink: JUST PUT YOUR SPIN ON IT AND MAKE IT YOUR OWN. *yes*
    --
    sG

16. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Audiosexual

hmm i never use midi packs - its killing the original of ur sound and progression. and it will let u try to spend less time in ur daw.
    and u are not able to learn the midi tools in ur daw in a proper way.
    stay 5 hours longer in your daw and come up with a really good progression - instead of an old 1 which maybe ur producer buddy has used for his new track ...

i voted it a crutch and also the last answer ...
    i downloaded tones of midi packs and always deleted them again, 'cos yh they never fits into ... and i feel to use something which is all over the place ...

17. tnc

tnc Producer

I have yet to hear a good track made only from ripped samples and MIDI packs.

Ofcourse, you can get inspiration from samples and midi (or other songs). And totally re-work the samples and the midi. But then you are creating your own thing...and it would be easier
    to make from scratch.

I think samples+midi can be used for learning. But don't expect to get any respect from other producers, or even release it on some shitty label.

Although, many good tracks have elements of sampling and ripped off melodies in them. But those made it into something new, something that is "their sound".
    It can take years and years to develope your own sound. So skip the midi packs and samples cd's. Instead, start to experiment with all types of synths and effects to get YOUR OWN SOUND.

18. PYRUS MALUS

PYRUS MALUS Noisemaker

:grooves:

:grooves:

19. Enoch007

Enoch007 Kapellmeister

Now find a song made entirely from samples & MIDI packs, like he really meant...

20. gowers

gowers Newbie

it's a tool obviously.

Hell it's like saying you can't learn my guitar chords or melodies just start playing guitar!!!!

It's a tool and an important part of learning. I don't know of any successful musicians who hasn't at some point used someone else's song entirely or in part to create their own.

The way i and many people think is that 99% of people have no creativity or original thought. The majority rely on regurgitating what they learn else where and pass it off as their own. Midi is like reading a score to a song and learning that musical language.