Transposing upwards within the same scale, or just transpose everything up 1 semitone

Discussion in 'Education' started by stav, May 30, 2024.

1. stav

stav Noisemaker

I will experiment more on this later but i thought i'd ask to see if i can get some comments on this

When i transpose i can do it in 2 ways (lets assume transposing upwards)

1) go up 1 semitone on every current note in my midi

2) lock in the current scale and move 1 step up according to the current scale (thus moving through the modes of the scale)

what is the difference between these two options? which would give me more reliable results to sound like my current melody

3. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Best Answer
    a) If you move your melody by one semitone without locking to scale, your melody remains exactly the same; it just plays one ST higher or lower. This effectively changes the key (the base pitch) of your melody and you should adjust the rest of your pitched instruments' MIDI accordingly for them to fit together.

b) If you move your melody by one semitone while locked to scale, it'll very likely change the quality of it in many places, as minor thirds may become major thirds, fourths turn into into fifths, stepwise movement turns into repeating pitches and so on.

You're not going to get a progressive metal melody out of a happy melody by locking from Major to Phrygian and moving up or down a ST. You'll have to write a dedicated melody for your key/scale/mode.

4. triggerflipper

triggerflipper Audiosexual

Used diminished scales so you can move them up or down as many semitones as you'd like and sound like a jazz imposter :bleh: