Transition from install discs to digital downloads

Discussion in 'Software' started by aymat, Jul 26, 2016.

1. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

The transition from install discs to digital downloads is something I've been happy to see take over the last couple of years. Personally, I dont miss having a box with a bunch of discs and I hope the trend continues. That being said, it's hard to imagine the volume and strain the servers for some companies will go through with massive library downloads. I keep thinking about Native Instruments in particular. Yes, their service center allows you to download and install individual plugins but thats not the case with Komplete. And now that Komplete 11 is just around the corner, I'm wondering if they'll still go the disc/drive route or if they'll finally go 100% downloads.

Do you prefer one over the other?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  3. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

You lost me with "that being said." Annoys the shit outa me.

4. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

With or without the quotes?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  5. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Some companies have been charging more for the virtual copy lately because of server fees.
    I don't play games anymore but that industry is a prime example.

Digital is convenient but I need to feel the glossy/matte plastic finish of those disc/drives.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. aymat

aymat Audiosexual

I didnt realize they were charging more :/ I usually purchase things on sale or during upgrade promos. I think the only thing good having discs is in the rare case you need to install without internet access or resale, which I think is easier to do when people feel the need to have something tangible.

7. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

That's my gripe with music downloads against shop bought cd's

Music is different to software ( I know you never brought up that particular topic) Whilst listening to music I enjoy reading the info on the disc/ cover. Software once installed the disc merely gathers dust.

Komplete I think if I were to buy that I would like it on a hard drive ( I have a sata 3 external hdd holder0

8. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

@aymat I could follow you all the way through..and it wasn't all that difficult...

I thought they were selling Komplete on a separate drive also?
    I like being able to download stuff sure, disks get damaged, accumulate and take up space.
    This is the future. Just back up your installers in case the net happens to not be available at some point.

Thing that sucks with legit releases are the ones that constantly call home or
    disable themselves to some extent if they can't talk to the mothership?
    Then again, if the internet is down for an extended period... the whole of civilization will have suffered some
    sort of disaster, and music production would be a fading memory, as the need to simply survive kicked in !

@Sylenth.Will.Fall seem to be fewer and fewer outlets selling the CD anymore,
    I would have to go to a pawn shop to buy scratchy old abused and used ones, in that
    regard I'd rather download. Used to be an LP album snob, and CD inserts never compared
    to the experience of holding a gatefold with liner notes, inserts in my hands.

My opinion of music being released currently is so low, that I would be hard pressed to
    care about buying a disk of it, or even bothering to download it !

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2016