Traditional music theory works fine just in slow tempos. In faster tempos, groove dominates.

Discussion in 'Education' started by foster911, Jun 24, 2017.

1. tooloud

tooloud Guest

The subject of this thread drew my attention. I'm glad everybody clarified the idiocy of the concept that faster music somehow allows groove to dominate and undermines the musicality of all styles of higher tempo music. Many classical compositions are dazzlingly fast. Much modern jazz fusion is astoundingly fast and the instrumentalists are virtuoso players. I can only assume the OP is new to this music thing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. No, not new, only adamant in intellectualizing that which has foundation in the expression of the soul, filtered through emotion, informed by fantasy and guided by the unseen hand of creation itself. What theory has to do with relating emotion is way beyond my ken.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. foster911

foster911 Guest

There are some similarities between song theory and religions. If you allege strongly how thick the religions are and also their followers, at the end some people would rear their ugly heads and eventually will reverse you back to the start point.:facepalm:

4. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

In other words, fast music ain't rocket science?
    Um... okay.

5. foster911

foster911 Guest

Music (no matter fast or slow) is more than that when credulous people's tight regulations don't cramp fresh thinking in it.:yes:

Music doesn't need theory but freedom.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2017
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. BibouLeNoob

BibouLeNoob Kapellmeister

@foster911

Have you ever been right on whatever subject in your whole life ?

7. MrMister

MrMister Ultrasonic

I will open my mouth as I see fit. Enough with the cliche platitudes. Just because I don't post examples of unfinished "works" on this site every day, complaining about the structures of music theory that extremely talented and forward thinking people of antiquity created/realized, doesn't mean my chatter is invalid. Not trying to kill your inspiration, but your head is getting the best of you. If you just throw out everything you think you know, and just take in everything and learn from it, you'll be so much better off, and growth will be exponential. Humble yourself.

8. foster911

foster911 Guest

This down-tempo mix posted by @ned944 into General Chat area. You can fully appreciate the aesthetic splendor of notes.

Suppose dance music producers were obliged to work with slower tempos. In that condition, most of them would be retired from the music world because in slower tempos, imbecility and feebleness of their mind would come into view. Dance music with fast tempos are keeping producers' unskillful and incompetent musicianship under wraps.:dunno:

I had to go for a better title for this thread that embraces all the discussions about tempo. So please instead of condemning me, post you lovely viewpoints about the tempo.:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2017
  9. foster911

foster911 Guest

The same track with different tempos posted to another thread:

Slower ver:
    https://clyp.it/iomqqgfg
    Faster ver:
    https://clyp.it/sfohhi1l

How can you allege that they're emotionally the same? How does you brain interpret them? In slower one you've much more time to think about the correctness of notes. Even if you were intending to work on the slower one from the start point, perhaps you'd decide to change some notes to sound better that in faster one those accuracy being neglected unintentionally.:dunno:

Furthermore, you can add more layers of melodies (ok, counterpoints) to the slower version that if you turn the speed up, those melodies would clutter the whole mix.:dunno: The number of counterpoints and also sound selections depend on the speed of track.

I think a logical way for lengthening my tracks for dodging any criticism is lowering the tempo. The first one is 3:12 but the second one is 1:20. :bleh:

10. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

this song was written in 1945.

it uses every aspect of music theory in full glory
    if you try to play fast music with no comprehension or concept of how music works, then what exactly are you PLAYING fast?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  11. foster911

foster911 Guest

Would you please post anything excluding Jazz? Do you fathom out any jazzy flavor from my works? Unfortunately it has not any place in my domain. Bitterly regretful about that. :dunno:

By electronic, I don't mean any kind of electronic. The inflaming ones that provoke strong feelings of consciousness and power inside you. I have not found these characteristics in other genres even over 90% of electronic music lack this speciality.:no:

12. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Somehow you nailed a nostalgic/sad vibe (whatever, it's clearly not a happy one). And regardless if you admit it or not, unless you grew up in the woods, you will (as me and everyone else) associate happy vibes with fast tempo and nostalgic/sadness with slow tempo - it's how humans are wired. Humans sing sad songs in a slower tempo and happy songs in faster tempo otherwise we'll have all the weddings at 80 BPM and all the funeral songs at 130.

This is the best example of your ignorance in what concerns music knowledge: a nostalgic composition sounds better at a slower tempo, what a surprise :deep_facepalm:

How about more time to listen how the sounds evolve? How many slow tempo staccatos do you remember hearing? (there may be, but it's not typical).

The faster the tempo, long sustains, long releases, aftertouch modulations and general expression are starting to be limited - and transient-rich sounds become more suitable.

Regardless the tempo, the composer must fill the time domain as well as the frequency domain. Also, naturally the tempo reflects the energy of the song - in addition to what I mentioned above (wedding/funeral) you don't write a baby lullaby at 130 BPM.

Remember, in music everything is connected to everything: if you decide you want to write a piece with some long evolving chords, there will be tempo limits given by the ADSR of your synth (or live instrument).

When you are a producer you are composer, instrument player, conductor, arranger and sound designer. Fail at one specialty and you failed completely as a producer.

13. BibouLeNoob

BibouLeNoob Kapellmeister

Sure we don't.
    Yep, not one bit of it.
    What does that even mean ?
    Cory Henry playing fast with his synth on Lingus gives me this kind of thrills but I'm pretty sure you stand idly while listening to it with dead fish eyes.

14. foster911

foster911 Guest

Man, please forgive my inexcusable impoliteness. Please don't give my previous post another thought. I'm dull in understanding Jazz. As tonally inspired person before Jazz emerged, I can not relate my wrong feelings to Jazz. I always think it's for miscarrying your thoughts and at the end you don't know what you want to say.:dunno::sad:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2017
  15. tooloud

tooloud Guest

The slower the tempo the greater the amount of musicality. In an anechoic chamber encased in granite deep below the surface of the earth experiments in near zero bpm music are being attempted. Many brave composers have lost their lives due to the overwhelmingly sheer musicality of the works. Protesters fear that if music can exist at zero bpm a black hole will propel us into another Universe where everybody is a Kardashian.

16. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

sorry to disturb you then fine sir.

17. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

@foster911
    What the hell! :woot: Have you ever listened to metal music? :rofl:
    Sometimes listen to other things instead of pure junk

18. foster911

foster911 Guest

Sometimes I listen to metal junk.

19. Jay Weed