Traditional music theory works fine just in slow tempos. In faster tempos, groove dominates.

Discussion in 'Education' started by foster911, Jun 24, 2017.

1. C7

C7 Member

@foster911 You should listen to the Etudes by Frederic Chopin for solo piano, or really any concert level etudes by famous composers and analyze the sheet music. It is definitely a different sort of thinking as opposed to writing slower parts which you could sing. You are almost thinking in a bigger context, almost in groups of measures or phrases as opposed to individual notes as you would writing slower pieces.

For most popular music you will not need the PhD level of theory classical composers use though. And in a sense I can sort of agree with you that you almost want to simplify things at higher speeds. You probably only want to use basic scalar passages and arpeggios or basic repeating figures of those. Likewise you probably won't use counterpoint, and if you are playing intervals with one hand or instrument they will probably simple consonant intervals. The bass will be rather simple as well to avoid making everything muddy. All in all you will likely have a lighter arrangement of instruments.

I have also noticed though that most of the stuff that sound really good at high speeds sounds equally good if not better at slow tempos. So don't write something that sounds like shit at a slow tempo and expect it to somehow sound better played fast.

Also foster911, even though you seem to gravitate more towards electronic music I would check out Mike Verta's (a film composer) lectures on the sister website. He rips at the whole academic school of thought in many of his lectures and I feel you would gain a lot of insight from him.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

THIS^^
    Finally..! Foster911 BUSTED!!! ..good thinking, Herr Durr - I'd like to have him as PR tho! :hahaha:

3. BudSpencer

BudSpencer Producer

I used to make the same kind of bombastic statement you made in your first post. I felt the same way when I started, some 17 years ago. Nowadays, I feel studying just a little bit of music theory really helps to improve my vision and understanding of what I'm doing.

But, of course, MAKING music is always better than ONLY studying. Or engaging in fruitless discussions online.

4. foster911

foster911 Guest

You know, on AS, 99% of people just talk and such as cowards hide their so called talents behind their talks. At least I'm truthful about my thoughts and share them with you. Instead of mocking me, share your shit to be judged if you have any. I'm sure you're so chicken-hearted that never gonna do it. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Matt777

Matt777 Rock Star

And of all ppl that tell you you are a piece of shit and so on you find me to trash???!!! To bad for you ..I mean, you probably don't care. But what I said last time AND this time are my thoughts, 100% genuine - that I can assure you. I'm the one who agrees with you on putting much more time and effort in to making something than theoretizing (you can read that on my comment that I put under one of your previous posts). I don't agree with you all the time, all the way.. why should I? I hate the guy (well, not him, just his way..) that always over-theoretize on every subjet (IMO, by spamming every second thread) and I really like your presence here to counterpoint that shit!

You got it all wrong. I wouldn't dare mocking you. I REALLY THINK - There's No Such Thing as Bad Publicity. (ESPECIALLY in art). Was trying to be a bit funny in pointing that out - NOT offensive. I guess I shouldn't do that.. maybe is just a language barrier. I'm half of European continent away from the first English native speaker.. don't know. If you'd prefer I don't comment any of your posts or anything else just say so. I'll surely respect your wishes.

As far as music posting goes - unfortunately can't post my work here (for obvious reasons - it was done for someone else). So I have to do something AS exclusive. And you know what, I'll do it! Any special wishes (genre..? An original, a cover, a remix of something of yours..?) Just give me some time (not much). I have a real job (well, sort of..), always behind with my work ..and I am lazy by nature.

I am sorry you took it the wrong way. I think in art there can not be enough diversity and I hope we go over this. If my behavior resulted offensive to you, I apologize (but I never even criticized your production :dunno:, and I would If I had a reason..). If you still think I am just a bitch trolling..... I'd be sad but eventually go my way..

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  6. almightyshux

almightyshux Ultrasonic

Possibly look into the difference between production and composition. Since in this day and age we do everything from composition all the way up to mastering you should start to approach your "production" with composition first. Only then shall you follow with your production hat.

DAW and Software does not a composer make. Composition/Song writing does not a producer make. But one who wields both, does a powerful musical warrior make! See my hero David Axelrod. ("If I put a gun to your head and told you to point out middle C, could you do it?" - D.A. to an incoming new "producer" at Capital.

7. foster911

foster911 Guest

My buddy, I'm the one that must apologize. please forgive me!:bow:
    TBH, our music section is quiescent and by my previous sentence I just intended to encourage people to cram it with their noises rather than my over-the-top and ludicrous snippets.
    Once again, I apologize. Please don't deem it as an ill will.:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. foster911

foster911 Guest

These propositions are true for ProTools down-the-heel users or aging people fond of instruments thinking linearly through the composition to the mastering processes. Modern ways of production are chaotic and in those processes you don't need anything other than DAWs.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

Sure, until the power goes out. Or you don't have money for your electric bill.

10. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Music is a language. You might not need music theory in every instance of modern music production but it is sure nice to be able to:
    - write a bridge/ending to finish a song
    - create tension with one note or chord
    - keep a song interesting by changing bass notes
    - hear that 'one' chord which will connect various parts of songs
    etc

We don't use every DAW efx trick on every song? Same deal here.

11. foster911

foster911 Guest

The problem is: "SONG" has become clinically dead and gone for me. I usually don't listen to songs. I just listen to music.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2017
  12. foster911

foster911 Guest

The same for trees, natural resources, etc. that instruments are being made of.:bleh:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2017
  13. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

Except nature is infinite and so are it's resources. When used correctly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Funk U

Funk U Platinum Record

After statements likes the one above, I've drawn the conclusion that what you can't grasp in the music language is the same level of fundamental intelligence you are lacking in the language you type in. All songs are music! No one has ever said, " Play me a music on piano." or, "Let's listen to a music when we get in the car." Because music is a general term, when you want to talk about a specific body of music with a beginning and ending you have to call it a "Song."

And anyone who would make such retarded statements in the first place is not worth talking to directly anymore. So I won't anymore.
    Peace...

15. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

I'm wasting my time.....................

16. foster911

foster911 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2017
  17. foster911

foster911 Guest

The conclusion of this thread:

Song theory works.:bleh:

18. krakenfart

krakenfart Ultrasonic

My conclusion...

You are a cock!

19. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

[​IMG]

20. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Bullshit... wait I take that back. If you or a machine were quick enough to produce sound with just the action in and of itself by playing an instrument to move at audio rate, then and only then would your opinion matter. But even if this feat were possible by a physical being - wait I take this back too - insects body parts like wings of a moscuito's move at nearly 2kHz, which was audible - would your opinion even come into play. But even then, if your arms were let's say playing drums at audio rate, common traditional theory would still come into play. Otherwise it would be considered noise. And noise is just that... Music is intentionally made, and cannot be unintentional. There are many opinions about "what is music" but that definition has already been settled by the vast majority of musicians and professors. If want to argue about what is music that's a whole other can of worms....

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017