Tracktion 7 - First impressions

Discussion in 'DAW' started by jayhind, Apr 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

I am impressed by the small size and gorgeous interface of T7. The Clip FX feature is really neat and something that caught my attention. Having full and easy control of gating and tapestop effects at clip level in a DAW is superb idea.

Interested to hear about what others think of the program. I have been a long time Reaper user and wanted to try a new DAW for a change. T7 has a light memory footprint and frankly the GUI is really easy on the eyes.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  3. haha

haha Ultrasonic

The only thing that I think is missing is the lack of aux/sends. I don't know what kind of computers others have, but I can't insert reverbs on every track that needs it. It's cumbersome and will overload the CPU pretty soon. Or maybe the function is there and I missed it...

4. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

You need to insert "Aux Send" plugin on tracks that you want to send and on the reverb track insert the "Aux Return" plugin.

5. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

I've tried traction in the past. Really, the only major thing in terms of routing that T beats REAPER in is native parallell FX chaining (R has serial). Apart from that, you can skin R.

R uses 60MB of RAM for a blank project. How does T compare?

Also, if you're not using any R-specific features, fine. If you do (like me), T is a no-go.

6. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

There's no doubt that Reaper is a functionality powerhouse, usable enough once you have spent your time with it.
    But when I wanted to focus on the music and get quick results in the first stages of composition or recording, Tracktion has always been faster and less distracting that most other DAWs - for me, at least.
    One of the reason for DAW wars is probably that there is always a conflict between foolproof workflow, deep functionality and personal taste.
    I hate it when I have to take care about the DAW when all I want is record, but I hate it just as much when later in the process I can't find a way to do X or Y - and who knows, you might end up using both :yes:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

Hard to get less distracting than Live.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. notremid

notremid Producer

Very true indeed.

9. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Yes, use both. Ableton is where I get the ideas and tracks laid out. Reaper is where I do all the real recording and mixing. This has been my workflow for years.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Wow, it's exactly what I'm changing to after several years using only Studio One.

11. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

Both the latest Reaper and T7 are taking up about 40mb of RAM on my machine, I am using an old theme for Reaper so maybe thats the reason for lower memory usage.

12. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I'm considering using Tracktion instead of Reaper for mixing. But I can't find Tracktion user manual, WTF? There are nice videos but no user manual. It has a nice on screen popup help, but still...

13. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

There is no manual. One of the unique aspects of this program :)
    No, there is a book by some guy that you have to buy which is kind of promoted as the manual. I found this video to be very helpful:

14. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Quality advise man! Thanks a lot. At first sight best than half of the commercial Tracktion Video Tutorials. :beg:

Still, it's always good a manual because I want to know important specific details like, say, can the plugin racks host vst3 plugins?

15. jayhind

jayhind Ultrasonic

You can check out the official Tracktion forums at KVR. Upon googling, it appears that since Vst3 support has been there since version 5.

16. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Yes, that was easy, but I was talking about hosting VST3 inside plugin racks, the fancy modular building plugin of Tracktion, ala Bidule/Fl Studio Patcher, etc. Thanks anyway for helping me.

17. Antikythera Mechanism

Antikythera Mechanism Ultrasonic

Hi, everyone, I have a little question, maybe you could help me:

Using the Virtual MIDI Keyboard (qwerty keyboard), is there any way to change octave? If there is, I can not find it.

Thanks.

18. filtersweep

filtersweep Platinum Record

there are no built in tools or options for slicing loops in tracktion me, it's a bit of a bore slicing regions by hand. otherwise it is a nice and compact interface... they have done a great job updating it, graphically at least. so kudos for that..

19. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

The adjectival form is "distractive," not distracting."

20. tommyzai

tommyzai Platinum Record