Touchy subject

Discussion in 'PC' started by jefft, May 21, 2022.

1. jefft

jefft Producer

When I turn the electricity/mains on to my home studio with my Machine Mikro MK3 connected, and before I power up my my PC. The hardware screen shows ' TOUCH ERROR' and locks up the Maschine hardware. I then have to disconnect the USB cable and reconnect it, the hardware then launches and I then switch the PC on and it works fine. I have tried numerous usb ports, some on the motherboard and some on a powered hub. this is really irritating so any help or ideas would be appreciate, im running an Asus P81 mb with win 11

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

Did you already try a different cable and just forget to mention it?

4. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

1.) USB Suspend

Almost every computer used for music performance is going to be using USB devices. Whether that’s music related devices like audio devices, USB/MIDI keyboards or typical PC devices like a keyboard or mouse you really don’t want these devices to be suspended while you’re playing. Even if you’re not using USB devices, you still should make this change.

In fact it’s probably even more important– if you’re not using USB it’s more likely to be suspended and giving the device driver the opportunity to shut down could cause an undesirable stall.

In “USB Settings” -> “USB select suspend setting”, change the setting to “Disabled”.

2.) USB Hub Power

The USB Hub and USB Root Hub devices have a setting that determines if Windows will power them off to save power.
    The reasons for disabling this are essentially the same as for the “USB Suspend” setting in Power Options.

1. Open the Device Manager, by clicking the Windows Start button, typing “device manager” and pressing Enter.
    2. Scroll to the bottom of the list and expand the entry “Universal Serial Bus controllers”.
    3. Go through the list and right click on all devices including the words “USB Hub” or “USB Root Hub”.
    4. Choose “Properties” from the popup menu.
    5. Switch to the “Power Management” tab
    6. Uncheck the option “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”
    7. Repeat from step 3 for all hub devices.

Source: Windows PC for digital audio processing www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/

Last edited: May 21, 2022

Attached Files:

5. jefft

jefft Producer

Clone
    Yup, several cables.

6. jefft

jefft Producer

Beat16
    Thanks for that very useful. I've just been through the settings you advised, and mine are all set as you say. But the problem still remains. Thanks for trying

7. jefft

jefft Producer

Thanks for that very useful. I've just been through the settings you advised, and mine are all set as you say. But the problem still remains. Thanks for trying

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I get a similar thing, fairly rarely though, that my Mikro MK3 (latest firmware and other updates up to date) just shows "MASCHINE MIKRO" when resuming from suspend. The only way to fix this is to plug/unplug the USB cable, which is hooked to a powered hub.

My Kontrol A61 does the same, but that doesn't happen too often.

So yeah, I'm in a similar boat so if there is a solution, I'd be keen to know, and sorry for not being able to help.

9. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

How To Fix Your NI Maschine (MK1/MK2) USB Port

Are you having problems with your Native Instruments Maschine MK1, MK2 or Mikro powering up or dropping out while you're using it?

The USB port on the NI Maschine has been a point of failure on all of the Maschine units that I've repaired so far. I made this video to help other people who might be having this problem. If your USB port is not supplying enough power or has stopped providing power to your Maschine unit when you connect the USB then this video will walk you through the tools needed and steps for replacing the USB port.

This can void your warranty but if you still have an MK1 it's not likely still under warranty. The repair usually only takes me about 30-45 minutes to complete and I have not had any problems with the units after changing out the USB port on the NI Maschine. It powers up and works just like new.
    You can go to my website for more helpful info like this http://www.jrnoble.co

Native Instruments Maschine | How To Fix Your NI Maschine (MK1/MK2) USB Port

10. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

This is for earlier Maschines, not MK3 Mikro, right? Also that URL is dead, there's no DNS entry for it.

11. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Have you already updated the firmware?
    Please notify NI Support!

12. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

2022-05-21_220909.jpg

What is the current hardware firmware for maschine mikro mk3?

What's This?

The package brings the Mac OS Firmware Updater v 1.2.0 for Maschine Mikro MK3. This is a tool to update the firmware of your Maschine Mikro MK3 controller.

This update is recommended to every user of Maschine Mikro MK3.

Firmware Updater for Maschine MK3 brings Firmware version 0.5.2 for this device.

Changes in Firmware version 0.5.2:

• Improved connectivity & detection on AMD Ryzen-based systems
    • To run the tool, download it and extract the ZIP to any folder on your computer
    • Read the provided Readme.txt file.
    • Install the driver for your device.
    • Connect your device to your computer.
    • Start the Firmware Updater for Maschine Mikro MK3.
    • Device Updater for Maschine Mikro MK3 will guide you through all steps to update the device firmware.
    www.native-instruments.com/?eID=extbase&extensionName=NiServiceCenter&pluginName=niservicecenter&controllerName=Download&actionName=readme&entry=4565

13. jefft

jefft Producer

Thanks guys for all your help, I think ive solved it (fingers crossed) by going into and reseting the bios to its defaults, then load windows 11 and go to Device manager/Universal serial bus controllers and uninstalling everything, then reset the PC, this I'm led to believe resets all the rear USB sockets.... any way i think its solved all my problems.

14. jefft

jefft Producer

Argh I thouht all was well, I tried it yesterday nine times from cold ( no power) and all was well , after leaving it for 24 hours, tried this morning and Im back to "TOUCH ERROR"

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Unfortunately your MK3 machine has no power supply and an on/off switch.
    If you have warranty I would exchange the machine or at least open a ticket with NI.
    I have read that some users with the touch error have exchanged their machine.

16. jefft

jefft Producer

I guess your right regarding a RTM, I do have a warranty and are in the middle of negotiations via a N.I ticket. So fingers crossed, once again thanks for all your help.

17. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Good luck!

18. Aileron

Aileron Audiosexual

:guru:
    Electric wiring may carry "signals" resulting from switching appliances, including fridges and so on, around the house. Spikes/surges from these sources can induce voltages in other conductors in close proximity and affect sensitive equipment.

When appliances request power, they can create a spike in your electrical system. Those “switching surges” aren’t as severe as lightning surges, but they can still mess with other circuits, even causing damage over time. Audio equipment, interfaces, video monitors and the like are all prone to "inadvertent switching" due to domestic power transients.

You may want to try including a "surge suppressor" between the mains outlet and affected equipment. These come in the form of electrically protected power strips, available from home hardware stores like B&Q, Homebase and so forth.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  19. Arabian_jesus

Arabian_jesus Audiosexual

Good advice even if it might not fix this specific problem!