total noob 0 music theory knowledge tries to make a love/heartbreak song

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by KUSHSMOKERLIT, Dec 2, 2023.

Tags:
  1. KUSHSMOKERLIT

KUSHSMOKERLIT Producer

i just made this i know the vocals don't shine for being specially good lmao but what about the production tho? is it any good? i promise this is the last time i post so you guys don't have to suffer hearing my stuff thanks to anyone that comments p.s i'm drunk

3. evolasme

evolasme Producer

heres your
    love/heartbreak song......

4. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

well , you have a pretty nice chorus right there i would say. its a demo obviously so whatever you are saying is of no relevance.

Its all musically coherent and works very nicely. Now, you need a verse and done deal. Then maybe a slightly better mix but it is what it is and its pretty good. Keep it up and get upon next.

5. tylerv

tylerv Platinum Record

did you make the beat? or download it and record vocals over it? just curious. vocals are really loud and out of balance w/ the rest of the track volume wise. and need eq. definitely a highpass at least. there's a lot of lowend muddiness in the vox. and it may just be the way they're eq'd but they're pretty much impossible to discern what you're saying. almost just sounds like ur ad libbing kindof a vocal melody rather than actually saying words. i dunno, that may be what ur going for tho. so if that's the case do ur thing. as far as the beat itself, it's fine. seems balanced enough production wise.

no hate, and not being negative at all, just giving u honest feedback (trust me i've gotten plenty over my time sharing my stuff on here). being completely real w/ u dude it's not really a song yet. it's a beginning of an idea for one though. which is how all of the ones that turn into fullon songs start out for me. usually a basic instrumental idea with some rough vox to get a vibe goin and if it's really doing something for me i just keep going, and going, and going. until it becomes a song and it usually takes me weeks from start to finish if not more. which is exactly what i would tell u to do with this. seriously. sit down and decide what part u want to use this clip for (verse/chorus/intro/whatever) and then write the other parts and build on it. try to build TOWARD something dynamically from start to finish. write a hook and use it as a chorus, preferably one that people can sing along to or get stuck in their head which means make it understandable. no one can sing along if they don't know what the words are. even the mumble rappers make the hook teligible bc they understand this.

i know you said ur a noob so i don't know exactly what stage ur at but assuming u are totally new, i would tell you to focus waaaayyyyy less on production right now and waaaayyyy more on the writing and developing an idea from a 30 second vibe session to a fullon finished song with discernable parts and maybe a hook, etc. the production stuff will come with time. getting good at writing a song ppl may want to potentially listen to is priority numero uno. the most perfectly professionally produced sounding 30 sec song fragment is still only that. a fragment. by the time you get to where you can write and record a good SONG you'll probably naturally have developed the production skills just as a side product. that's how it worked for me at least.

sorry for the long one but it's just how i do lol. good start though and good luck bro :cheers:

6. KUSHSMOKERLIT

KUSHSMOKERLIT Producer

thanks man means alot to me im glad someone gives me constructive criticism for once i will try my hardest for the next one

7. KUSHSMOKERLIT

KUSHSMOKERLIT Producer

Thank you for the constructive critic the beat itself is a mix of samples streched and pitched down and a synth also i made the drums so i could say the beat is mine not all of it of course since i used a sample but i made the instrumental if that's what you are refering to i try to make the words as easy to discern as possible but i get that they arent there yet for the adlibing vocals im trying to mimic the style of smokepurpp i dont know if you heard him so that's about it (even tho it doesnt sound alot like him ) again thank you for taking your time to listen to it and give me a good critic

8. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

it’s a perfect intro and hook imo if you let it run as it is right now, and then loop it once after 0:07, then a verse and then the hook again. Simple and effective.

off course you can then choose to decorate it with small details here and there but the core is there, and I can hear you have a musical ear.