Toontrack Alt-Rock EZX recorded by Steve Albini

Discussion in 'Software News' started by blacknblue, Feb 21, 2017.

1. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

You take "alternative" much too literally in this case. Most famous Indie Rock bands aren't independent, either.

I think there are already samples of the Nick Barker drum setup, it's called the Roland TD-20.

2. Death Thash Doom

Death Thash Doom Platinum Record

haha LMFAO, Whilst mincing around in symphonic, pompous and really gay "black" "metal" outfits then yeah I agree/couldn't argue lol. I was more thinking along the lines of the Nick Barker seen, heard and tracked behind a proper kit playing in Lock-Up

I've seen them three times luckily, They're just about to release a new one beginning of March, Although with Tomas exiting due to At The Gates reforming full-time, Kevin Sharpe has stepped up which I won't be complaining about at all, I miss Brutal Truth. It is a band which Barker has managed to keep his lard arse in throughout.
    A grind specific EZX would be great (Not that I'm incapable of whipping one up with somewhat ease already), I'd have Adam Jarvis amongst others over Barker though (if it came down to a choice and for some not likely case I had a say in the matter haha). I reckon big Nick gets bullied into playing properly in Lock Up, Like Leonard Lawrence aka Private Pyle style from Full Metal Jacket.

I've gone way off topic, it really wasn't intentional and that one made me crack up, I can picture him with zero sensitivity dialled in so it takes no effort nor application of great technique weighting and striking wise, Just sat behind an ekit, Dwarfing it, Almost breaking a cheap throne it ships with just blasting away in corpse paint and I needed a good laugh, Cheers

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  3. PopstarKiller

You may laugh, but I actually researched this and got the samples he used, when I was mixing a Dimmu Borgir style song. Those samples really fit well with dense orchestration.

4. Death Thash Doom

Death Thash Doom Platinum Record

Oh I was not laughing at what you said regarding the sounds inside the Roland brain, I often use my Alesis SR-16 and DM5 with triggers on a kit, I do not doubt that such would work really well. It simply just gets untenable to use a "pure" mic'd kick when tempo's and blasts or it just sounds like mush, Live it is essential I find and I do spend time in studio building a kick (Axis longboards with their own trigger I like to work with whenever possible) that works will heavily down tuned guitars and a bass guitar also (which tends to have to lose out on the kind of low-end it is afforded in a doom/sludge workout, Where sonic excess can be exploited). I'll try to find the type of player that I was referring to that can't play properly unless they are using an ekit with zero sensitivity and then all of sudden blast away dropping hiroshimas/gravity blasts for hours...You put them on a real kit and well, I'm certain you know exactly what it is like/the "results", I just merged the two into one image which set me off laughing PopstarKiller, I should of probably made it more clear that I was laughing not at what you said but the conflation of two things which happened in my mind whilst thinking of Barker playing for Cradle of Filth and then arch enemies Dimmu (I prefer Old Man's Child personally), Anyway the type of "drummer" I mean:
    <in all fairness though, He is a very decent player nowadays, This was a piss-take too so bear that in mind, It was the first example of what I mean>. It is the best way I can explain what set me off laughing anyway. All the best man

5. PopstarKiller

No worries, I wasn't insulted or anything. Btw Barker also played for OMC, really like his work on In Defiance of Existence.