Too "organic" for electronica?

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by lexeed, Jun 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

I didn't mix this quite like most would normally would mix the genre. Nothing's slammed or overlimited, so I'm wondering is this actually too 'organic' for the style. I really would like to know to see whether I should abandon what I did and go more towards "smash." I mean I'm seriously wondering.

https://app.box.com/s/f51jnoh3z09pzm528s8nbrhxf479jb27

A Reaper forum buddy who goes by OPI wrote it. I only mixed it.

3. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

I think you can be proud of the pristine feel of your mix. It's clean and well balanced. If I were to suggest some modification, I should like to hear a little more depth. Not smashing but something more than a sterile panning of the ensemble that, at the moment has a hole in the stereo mix between dead centre and half-right, and half-left. Those dead spots make listening uncomfortable after a while.

Difficult to put into words but... what you have here is the equivalent of a photograph rather than a holograph. There could be a benefit gained from playing with early reflections, a little ambient reverb and so forth in order to push some of the instruments further away from the listener's "viewpoint". Also, pan something into the bald spots between centre and 3/4 left and 3/4 right.

You fear the sound may be too organic for the style. IMO it's not organic enough. Continue with the ethos that you have created for yourself here - it really is a beautifully refreshing mix - and push (don't slam) some forwards & backwards feel into the piece.

Having said all of that, which is nothing more than my personal thoughts, bravo! It's so nice to have some actual dynamic range in my ears. I like it. :thumbsup:

4. Elisea

Elisea Guest

I agree, it seems a bit to dry in relation of 3d depth, but that also makes it unique and very clear sounding. On the other hand I really can't be helpful because i have no clue what kind of genre it is. It sounds easy and fluffy, and I wouldn't turn it off while eating my breakfast on a sunny morning. Feels good. :wink:

5. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

Thanks a lot DF! Odd to hear some of that because depth is one of the things I liked about about it and thought might not "fit" the genre. And you're right, I hardly did any panning because each stem track was a true stereo file and I didn't want things to sound skewed. Since this was OPI's song and track stems, I tried to respect what he had and not change much except for actual mixing.

With my own songs and tracks, I'm the opposite: I mostly make them mono so I can pan as I please and mostly for the reasons you stated. The exceptions being--drum rooms, overheads and tracks I specifically want stereo--usually keys or pads. Also, this is the first and only 'electronic' tune I ever mixed (I usu write more on the alternative or rock side myself), so I'm used to real instruments and vocals as opposed to just about all synths. I'm a pretty open-minded guy, so I wanted to give this style a try, which is why I was so unsure of how it sounded to people who usually listen to this genre. Very 'eye opening.'

If I do another mix for someone else who has all stereo stems (that is, stems that are actually stereo and not dual mono), I'm gonna ask them if it's okay to mix as I usually do and incorporate your suggestions. Thanks again for the keen ears man.

6. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

I think I'm obviously biased because I simply don't hear a lack of depth. I don't feel this sounds flat at all and that was one of my concerns. Maybe more verb? What would you suggest? As I said above, I'm new to mixing this style and want to learn as much as I can. I appreciate you listening.

7. ...and a new genre was born, an orphan to the loudness wars, a new and welcomed soul unto this world that shall be forever named...Organica!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  8. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

Totally LOVE that term. Thanks man!

9. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

I think it's fine as far as depth goes, it could take a bit more space, but that is a matter of choice.

The only issues I hear are a that the percussion can be a bit percussive, some of those peaks need a little taming, not much but they do need a little shave for the sake of listener comfort. Some slight EQ to re-balance the brightness, sounds like you've put a bit too much of the smiley face on it, bumping up the bass and the highs. A bit more balance might also cure the issue with the percussion, not sure.

Everything I gather would be a matter of taste.

Sounds nice - loudness is not an issue anymore, to my old man ears sounds like it is somewhere between -15LU and -13 LU on the loud passages and that is fine with me. Fix the balance or have someone else do the final pass and master it for you to re-balance it and fix some of that cutting, I think it could sound fine in the end.

10. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

Sounds good mozee. I'll give those ideas a try. Extra sets of ears always help me.

11. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

Any others that are into this style?

12. Bill Vkerchi?

Bill Vkerchi? Kapellmeister

I think you are mistaking width for depth.
    As for the main question, i personally, would go for more mixbus compression (not limiting) to get that sort of song moving with the groove feeling, and yeah more depth.

13. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

No mistake, I understand the difference. It just seems I'm wrong. I'll try hitting harder on the mixbus and stop being so cautious. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017