ToNYG: My decision to leave AS(better to hear it from the horse's mouth)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by TonyG, Sep 28, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luka

Luka Platinum Record

Very creative on @superliquidsunshine part Now guys, you need to stop criticizing my boss.:rofl:

2. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Triggered by this thread I asked Andrew on his profile page about this matter, because the rules just say
    "All your ratings (especially negative or neutral) should be meaningful - so when you're asked to provide reasons for such rating, you should have one."
    They don't specify, asked by whom?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. No Avenger

He's still here, not even 'Pending Deletion'.

• List
  4. Luka

Luka Platinum Record

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Hell if I know :dunno: Seemed like the most rational thing : User 2 disagrees withs user 1 post, user 1 reports to b**ch about it, moderator asks through pm to user 2 why the disagreement in order to not derail original topic with bickering, user 2 responds "I disagree with user 1 because he is wrong"....And there we go. No more trouble in paradise. :dunno:. Probably being an utopist...

6. No Avenger

Well, I wouldn't consider this a meaningful reason/sufficient explanation.
    Also I think this should only go for negative ratings, not for neutral.

7. No Avenger

Yes, sadly. I'll miss her great contributions to the AS albums, amongst other things.

8. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Lol it's not an explanation, it's a boggus example. But btw disagreement isn't necessarly something that gets to be explained on two pages. It just happens and I doubt a lot of explanation is ever required by mods for that rating, despite the rule.

Seems more logic for negative ratings to ask for motives but again I don't se how it's difficult to come up with a reason for disliking. You can't get more subjective than regarding taste. Say I dislike one of your comment regarding eq correction you advise for a mix, after someone submitted a beat for mix advices. "Too much low end, it's muddy you need a HP at 60hz". I dislike this comment. You're surprised so you ring Oly. Oly asks for a reason. "I don't like his tone. This is a newbie asking an advice, he shouldn't be so abruptely negative". Or "Oly, his advice is completely boggus, he wants to mess with his mix !".

You get what I'm saying ? Not very hard to have a reason for any taste really.

9. electriclash

electriclash Guest

I didn't realize that was a permanent leave .. a strong writer and a hard-working, consummate professional. this is indeed another considerable loss

10. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Yeah and @Spyfxmk2 left today because of Judge Dredd little adieu letter. So this crap goes both ways, it's easy to point fingers(never mind about that one, I just saw his pending deletion isn't there anymore, fortunately). And Spy already left once because of Judge resentment towards him. Spy is a very valued member you know whom shines with his musical ventures and not endless pointless polemics.
    @Beth left without saying much weeks back, you didn't mention it then. :dunno:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  11. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

[​IMG]

got the feeling this is the vast sensible majority watching these totally meaningless threads..

12. electriclash

electriclash Guest

...more like a collective

[​IMG]
    {:flies away}

13. EddieXx

EddieXx Audiosexual

no,

that would be to take this infantile idiotic ridiculous jersey shore charade seriously. who would

lol. :)

14. electriclash

electriclash Guest

duuuddde its just so ..noisy

As artists, each and every one of us, we have SENSITIVE EARS

(take your point though; this too shall pass}

15. G String

G String Rock Star

All this kerfuffle but nobody is surprised that TonyG turns out to be a horse?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  16. electriclash

electriclash Guest

+1

17. G String

G String Rock Star

Nah, there's only 7 people in that pic. World population is about 8 billion.

18. No Avenger

I get what you're meaning, but, according to the rules, the reason has to be meaningful and of course this is also a question of interpretation which the mods have to decide on.

19. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

There will always be a meaningfullness for the author of the downvote. It's always subjective and meaningfull for the author of it, since it's his own judgement (which you can find ridiculous, but it still will be as relevant for the one that carries it)

Case and point
    The whole debacle started with the thread "rap is crimogenic" a relatively (apparently) harmless video about a young black rappers being trialed for wrtting lyrics for a song that were in appearance threats (but it's a song argued the lawyer, it's not real threats, etc) but in fact maybe weren't, thus the question "Is it a crime to write rap (if it includes threatening lyrics)". Also the rapper had a gun, with no license to carry.

User 1 thought this was troll food and said so (and probably also didn't like the thesis defended by the lawyer). It's a defendable pov, but maybe the way it was said wasn't the most appropriate ? That's also defendable. At least that's what thought user 2 who downvoted user 1 comment cause he thought it was uncalled for. Now in my opinion here someone is right and someone is wrong, but each pov is defendable and is meaningfull for its author without me being able to say anything against even if I'm in disagreement with one of the pov which isn't mine, certainly, but still it doesn't become meaningless for its author.

But the whole thing lead to reactions from users 3 and 4, who agree with user 1 regarding not the content of his comment (they think the thread is interesting and participate) but still they didn't like that user 2 used the naughty rating to express his legitimate (relatively to its own pov) anger regarding user 1 comment.
    So, ironicaly, users 3 and 4 - in all legitimacy according to their views - start downvoting user 2 posts since they are now convinced that user 2 has it in for user 1, which is the real reason for the original downvote. Impeccable thinking, irrefutable....if you believe in its premises (which is not my case)....

Now you see....That's how it goes with judgements and the fact that people can always own them and justify them relatively to their pov....Endless circle.

20. Kinghtsurfer

Kinghtsurfer Audiosexual

Hey TonyG... I hope you reconsider... Of course, your decision must be respected... But I hope you choose to stay... Others (myself included) would be much better off with you here...

Besides, disagreements on a public forum on the internet? Its like salt in seawater... Shouldnt get to you...

Hope we see you around... Wish you much success and good health in any case...