Toneboosters Morphit Headphone Correction Question

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Retrolize77, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Although I don’t really dare to ask, I gotta know now:

Is it correct to disable the plugin formerly on masterbus to mix before complete mixdown?

Please help out, nearly got a headache from thinking about that

3. Satai

Satai Rock Star

Yes for sure you want that stuff off there once you're printing your mixdown. Try to not forget it and leave it in accidentally!

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Thx for clearing that up, my mind was twisted for a minute

5. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Better still if you can have the plugin on a monitoring only output, and use another output for printing.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

THx for the quick replies & advices, appreciated!

Is there a big difference in Morphit version?
    I think I got v1.2 , and on sistersite the latest version link is 1.4? Should I upgrade, or not necessary?

The purpose of Morphit is about a good mixing translation if I get it right, do i?
    Anything else I should try in adition?
    Heard of Waves NX, but Installation of waves bundle didn’t worked last time, not sure why.
    A good alternative or adition one can suggest?
    Greetings to every1 reading this

7. m9cao

m9cao Producer

all of those soft just used to cheating on your mind(if you are completely stupid),
    change any digital curves or parameters in digital domains cant affecting properties of hardware acoustic output devices,
    but if your consumer are stupid i cant say anything

8. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

9. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

If you take measurements of the room or cans before compensation, it is absolutely possible for software to correct for hardware. But hey, we're all just stupid consumers...

10. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

Thx for the input, I gotta see with which prog I get the best results!

11. Blorg

Blorg Producer

Sorta. Otherwise, why blow money on fancy monitors & room treatment? Just do it all in the box & profit.

12. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

Well, its also a matter of comfort. many musicians are not comfortable wearing headphones all the time. some may not trust correction softwares or they mixed with a set of monitors for so long, they know the flaws already..

13. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

For me, it’s all about no-choice-situation.
    I would prefer to use my old monitors, but no opportunity here unfortunatly, so...

14. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

I'm still asking myself why there's so much difference between Morphit and Sonarworks for some models. I mean in generic profiles not custom ones.
    they probably never publish how exact are these relative measurements or what sort of scientific approaches are taken.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  15. Blorg

Blorg Producer

So buy the cheapest/most comfortable headphones or computer speakers, and correct in software? I've been doing it wrong all along?
    Superstitious?
    Yeah, you get used to your monitors, you know exactly what they sound like, they're the standard you know, your brain already compensates. Adding software to compensate for familiar response curves is just weird -- why not try to compensate for Fletcher-Munson curves while we're at it?

16. Retrolize77

Retrolize77 Audiosexual

As I’m only capable of trying Morphit actually, it’s allright for me.
    Still gotta mix a track thru it to try how it translates to car/earpods n so on.

17. Amirious

Amirious Platinum Record

@Retrolize77 you can try Sonarworks Reference too! trial is valid for 21 days. moreover they have a similar consumer targeted product, TrueFi, which has more budget headphone profiles (earpod included).

Yes and no.
    If youre planning to use headphones for a long time, you need a comfortable headphone but if you want to mix with it too, you need it to be as flat as possible. you might buy a cheap headphone from Philips which is super comfortable but lacks everything. actually they sound horrible.
    Buy a $200 model like KRK 8400 or ATH M50x, correct it with the help of such software and you'll be fine.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  18. Satai

Satai Rock Star

Might as well relax, take some of the pressure off yourself. You're using Morphit, fine. Know in the back of your mind that it's not that important, since your task as a producer is like building a house and the Morphit stage is like worrying what color to paint the roof, because somebody could see it from space on google and not be pleased. You don't have to worry about the roof paintjob if the foundation hasn't been laid yet, it's simply other people's problems at this point. You do your thing, make the "house" liveable, then you'll solve the paintjobs later.

19. Blorg

Blorg Producer

Either software like Morphit can compensate for nonlinear response, or it can't.
    If it can, buying the cheapest comfy set and correcting it with software is the only thing that makes sense (unless spending too much is your goal). If, after applying software correction, you can hear the difference between your $$$ reference set and the cheapies, the software can't compensate. Seems logical, no?

As @Satai said, I wouldn't worry too much about it -- most people will hear your music through gear that's anything but flat.

20. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Dude. It compensates but it can't make a speaker produce a frequency it physically can't produce. That's why you need good frequency response. This makes that response flatter. It isn't that hard of a concept.

21. TW

TW Guest

Just use your headphones a week and listen to your favourite songs. All you need to do is getting used to the headphones with or without a corection software. You dont even need a correction software you just need to know your headphones.
    I use morphit a lot. But i dont use the 100% preset for my headphones. I "morph" them more flat to a percentage i like. That`s it.
    I ll switch between corrected and uncorrected headphones just how i like it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List