Tone Matching IR software

Discussion in 'Software' started by julianbre, Nov 10, 2022.

1. julianbre

julianbre Producer

Just came across a video showing React:IR software in action. You can import a wav file of your DI amp, then import a wave file of your miced amp and it will create an impulse response of your cabinet. Can also be used for tone matching your amp to another guitar track. Then export your IR. Really looks great and is optimized for guitar.

[​IMG]

You can download the software on their site (https://www.st-rock.com/reactir/). The only problem, it's the remote interface software for the React IR. When you start it, it looks to connect to it. The tone matching section doesn't even need to use the load box. If they sold the software separately, I would buy it today. Just don't need another load box.

Is anybody else making software like this?

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. typical-love

typical-love Producer

Guy I follow just posted this video, you might be interested!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. julianbre

julianbre Producer

Thanks for posting the video. I tried using Mfreeformeq before and didn't get very good results. Will try it again with the new settings from the video.

5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

The best hands down for my taste.

6. typical-love

typical-love Producer

That guy is from my city, he's very cool, very knowledgeable. His material may or may not be similar to what you're doing but he's definitely got some truly great videos in there! Check him out.

He definitely deserves more attention on his YouTube

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. nctechno

nctechno Kapellmeister

You can do all of this (and more / better as the response tabs are quite limited there) easily without any specialized software for example in REW (room eq wizard)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2022
  8. julianbre

julianbre Producer

Hello nctechno, would you mind explaining using it a little?

9. Poiuy

Poiuy Member

There's a free command line version of this very soft caller MatcherCL, you can google it.

10. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I checked out this app and it looks nice and super-powerful. And super expensive. But if it does what it says, emulating an amphead poweramp tonestack with IRs, among other things...

But if you only want to do this:
    There's quite a few plugins/apps that can do that. The Melda MFreeFormEQ, Fabfilter ProQ and so on

11. julianbre

julianbre Producer

Thanks for all the replies so far. I've never had very good results with Fabfilter ProQ. Better with MFreeformEQ and Ozone Match EQ but not great.

MatcherCL looks like it will do what I need it to. Let me get some coffee and I'll get to work with it. Would like to try out Room Eq Wizard if nctechno could explain how to use it.

Anything else out there that I might not have haven't heard of?

12. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Can you upload some example of yours? DI amphead+cabinet and DI only amphead.

13. typical-love

typical-love Producer

One main technique that the video I posted highlights is first of all using an amp sim that's within the realm of the desired tone, but also playing the part as close as you possibly can to the part in the tone that you're wanting to emulate. Since we're just matching waves here that makes sense since that's all any program is going to have to go off to compare the difference between the two... are you doing it that way when you've used any EQ matching software?

14. izn444nz

izn444nz Platinum Record

I use MatcherCL as a deconvolver, instead of voxengo, to create IRs. It also works as offline convolver (apply an IR to an amp DI).

To create an IR, i use it like this (simplified names):
    Code:
    MatcherCL.exe -cl sweep.wav sweep-through-cab.wav IR.wav
    There are parameters like -24 -mpt and -l to set the IR length:
    Code:
    MatcherCL.exe -24 -mpt -l 0.2 -cl sweep.wav sweep-through-cab.wav IR.wav
    If you think about it, what it does is "Take the second signal, removes what's in the first signal and creates an IR out of it". So basically, if you use a DI as first param and recorded sound as second you *should* be able to get the difference as an IR file.

Never tried to create matched IRs with this, but can be possible. Let me know what you think, maybe I can help with that.

15. nctechno

nctechno Kapellmeister

for example to achieve to result you described in your first post (matching your track to another) you would measure your cabinet in rew, then measure the other cabinet in rew or import the impulse response of the other amp, then go to all spl, click the gearwheel in the top right, then trace arithmetic, devide your amp by the desired amp, export the new IR and load it in a convolver of your choice

generally i would think that it's more convenient to just use the DI signal as you just need to use the desired IR then without removing your cabinet first

you could also invert your measured response (1/A) and then use the result first in a plugin, after that use the target ir in another instance

Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
  16. julianbre

julianbre Producer

Really, thanks for all the help everybody. I really appreciate your insight!

Went back today to Ozone match eq. What I did was level match the DI to the recorded track. Made all the difference in the world. Was able to pretty much nail the tone with a little extra eqing. Then used Deconvolver to make the ir.

For me, its actually more trouble than it's worth but this was just a certain tone I was trying to get.

17. JTlawns

JTlawns Member

When you actually make these IRs, can you make them so they don't have much latency? I am getting .3 second IRs

18. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

When using a plugin EQ Matching you have to enable minimum phase before exporting to IR.
    If you're using the Voxengo deconvolver later I think there's also an option for minimum phase but not sure.
    That seems a neat tool.

19. nctechno

nctechno Kapellmeister

you will get the same latency as your cabinet, so basically none. if the peak of the IR is at the start, delay is 0 independent of the length of the respnse. if there is silence before the peak you can just cut it.

20. nctechno

nctechno Kapellmeister

if you just want to export an IR from a eq or sth you can just play / export dirac delta through that eq and voila there is your response

Attached Files:

21. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Yep, but the beauty of some EQ matching plugins like Melda's is that you don't need that. You can directly export the IR in wav format with a click.