To all (current and former) owners of EMU 1616m (or 1212m)

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by gkarpa, Jul 27, 2020.

Tags:
  1. gkarpa

gkarpa Member

Hi everyone,

This goes for all -current and former- owners of EMU 1616m (or 1212m, 1820 etc).

I have an EMU 1616m since 2007 and I think that, apart from the stock preamps that I don't use anymore, it stills serves me fine (Win7 64bit / Cubase 10). But from time to time, I'm thinking about upgrading for more I/O and hopefully for better RTL performance. And, of course, if I want to go for Win10, I'll have to leave the EMU behind.

So I wonder if getting an RME will be an improvement regarding conversion.
    (I choose RME due to its low RTL, the rock solid drivers and being future-proof).

All these years I run into posts/reviews/opinions that praise the audio quality of the EMU. Many people who had to replace it, due to driver problems, didn't notice any sonic improvement -others felt it was a step-down.
    And I think that it's pretty weird that an old -and rather low budget- interface still competes with newer and pricier interfaces.

So I'd like to hear about your experience:

- If you swapped it for a newer interface, have you noticed any improvement regarding conversion?

- If you still use it, did you have the chance to compare it with other interfaces (again regarding the sound quality).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  3. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

You can't go wrong with RME. Anything with lower latency will cost 3 times as much. Therefore, unless you want to spend $2,500 and up, RME is the way to go. Excellent drivers, and tech support.

4. gkarpa

gkarpa Member

Yes, I know that.
    What mainly concerns me is whether RME will be better than EMU soundwise.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Tob

Tob Platinum Record

Depends to what RME interface/card you want to switch.
    A modern RME has better converters. A let's say 9632 is probably not a step up but on par and definitely usable in a professional way.

6. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

YES! I will take the RME converters over the ones in the EMU any day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. The Pirate

The Pirate Audiosexual

With respect to SNR there is a difference +4db in Mic inputs, and +10 db in TRS Line input in favor of the Baby Face Pro FS over the EMU. Even the old Baby Face was superior.

8. WizzDome71

WizzDome71 Producer

I have the 1616M (absolutely satisfied with it except for its pretty high latency) and I thought about buying a Focusrite (I heard the converters were good). What do you think of that?

9. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Merging Anibus with 139dB or so.... Look through the specifications...

10. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Hopefully the RME will be technically superior to the E-MU because it's much newer and its drivers are still supported by the manufacturer which is no longer the case with E-MU unfortunately.

That being said, E-MU got everything right 15 years ago when they released the 1212m and even if it can't compare to RME, their cards are still relevant by today's standards.

I would be more than willing to bring back my 1212m in my computer if only there was some Win 10 drivers... which sadly will most likely never happen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Aside from RME audio interfaces which are an easy and sure pick, I would definitely check Audient ones, too. Especially ID22 and ID44 gives you a lot for the money and the drivers are as good and as stable as RME's.

E-MU interfaces have always had a bit problematic drivers, so I suppose the latency isn't that great, but the whole idea and giving away a software Emulator VSTi sampler and a pile of sample banks with it was great. The converters in E-MU cards are still excellent, too. Thus, I wouldn't throw it away... I would place it in another computer and use both. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  12. Tob

Tob Platinum Record

that is for me already a modern RME interface compared to a emu 1616m/1212m :winker:.

That`s why I asked what interface he is interested in. Everything newer as the 9632 or a Multiface for example from RME will be better than the emu.

13. WizzDome71

WizzDome71 Producer

You guys must be kidding with your ads for RME. you say its better than a 15 year old EMU (isnt it easy??) but you forget to say that its 5 to 15 times more expensive (except for the ARC).

If I multiply my budget by 10, guess what? i'm gonna have a better sound card. Useless info for me. thanks anyway.
    Compare what is comparable. and why not go for UAD then?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

dude. normally i would agree with you, but the op specifically asked about the rme interface.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  15. gkarpa

gkarpa Member

Hey, first of all let me thank all of you for the answers :)

I've already checked the Audient stuff. Everybody is praising the conversion and preamps. In fact, I was thinking about getting the ASP800 and connect it with ADAT to the 1616m, but Audient seems to have many reliability issues, at least judging from what I'm reading in several forums and FB groups. Now, about their drivers, latency is higher than the 1616m.

Yeah, I've done my reading for months regarding audio interfaces. There are many mid-priced that have great converters (Audient stuff, Tascam UH7000, Presonus Quantum etc), but I don't want to find myself in the same place as today in a few years, when the manufacturer ends the driver support. Regarding that matter, RME seems to be nearly the only company that keeps supporting their old stuff.

I say "nearly" because I'm thinking Metric Halo, but they don't support Windows yet (and, of course their interfaces are way more expensive).

I'm thinking about the UFX II. It will be a big step for me regarding price (in fact I haven't ever spent so much for just one gear piece).
    I've already compared the specs with my 1616m, but I guess that numbers don't always say the truth.
    That's why I'm asking for hand-on experience.

16. GianaSister

GianaSister Producer

Hello gekarpa.
    i started my setup with E-MU 1212m PCI and Switch to E-Mu PCie 1212m .And i Tested the E-MU 1820m . The Mic preamps (1820m) and the A/D D/A Converters gives very good Soundding. I working 5 jears with E-mu . Ican say : Converter-sounding is a litle bit Better Then RME 9632 But laatency from E-Mu card and The driver are Shity . since 2 years I Working With RME 9632 I by it on Ebay for 70 Euros. RME 9632 Latency i can Say : Its an " WOW " Effect .The Main reason to switch from E-MU to RME is : E-MU Card have the Problem When u switch from 48KHZ to 44.1 KHZ on Win 7 .
    And Now i use on a 2nd Maschine E-MU Mic peamps Only for recording Vocals and other Instruments. And my Main PC/Hacktosh its an RME 9632 PCi RME with BEHRINGER ULTRAGAIN for more Inputs via ADAT .
    In sumary i prefer RME 9632 or Higher . or u combine The 2 Cards with 2 Maschines .
    Sorry audiolovers for my broken bad awful English words.
    our GIANASISTER .

17. gkarpa

gkarpa Member

I remember having that problem too, about 10 year ago, but it had to do with some early drivers. The latest ones fixed that problem. I've never had issues since then, never a hiccup, never a BSOD.

18. GammaStar

GammaStar Platinum Record

Fix for E-mu 1010/1212/0404/1820 etc Win 10 drivers PCI-PCIe:
    https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=371831&start=180

I'm using these as i type works flawlessly.. just follow instructions :wink:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  19. gkarpa

gkarpa Member

Yep, that's a great thread. These guys there have done some serious work, hands down. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a newer WIn 10 update screwed the EMU installation (again). I don't remember if they fixed that too. Also, I think that they have managed to make EMU work, but again not all functions are working 100%. Nevertheless, I respect those guys massively. They have saved the day for many users.

20. Tob

Tob Platinum Record

UFX is big step up in every regards. The only reason that maybe should make you think about that purchase has nothing to do with RME but with the connection. USB 4 is on the doorstep. And this might change prices and the market a lot.

21. gkarpa

gkarpa Member

You have a point, but if we're talking about RME only, I doubt they'll change the prices, since the latency they've achieved is the lowest they can get and it's the same no matter the type of connection (same on USB 2, USB 3 and on TB).
    But, yeah, it will be a big change for the other companies.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List