Title track to my E.P. 'Been A While'...is it groovy?

Discussion in 'Music Releases' started by Steve Andrews, Aug 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Steve Andrews

Steve Andrews Member

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Seedz

Seedz Rock Star

It is :grooves:

A bit St Germain :wink:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  4. Steve Andrews

Steve Andrews Member

Seedz! To remind you of st germain is one of the highest most compliments...my many thanx!!:bow:

5. famouslut

famouslut Audiosexual

Quality stuff! Sounds like smthn u heard Moroder do sometime, even. I'm usually bothered by one thing in almost every track, but rly nothing here! Has nice cascades and evolution! Great sound/s overall. Difficult to crit, even. I mean, I'd have liked a vocal chorus hook about girls if it was gonna be a "big summer tune" (commercial release loved by millions), but it's fine? Maybe push vibrato further sometimes? Kinda lil unsure about reverse pad swell thing at first, but it all makes sense. Did you use loops, cos intro groove seems bit familiar?

6. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

Good track? Yesolutely. Groovy? Nope, it doesn't achieve groovy status. It relies too much on one type of percussion, beats, and I find that repetitive, tinny hi-hat sound gives me a headache. Groove was last achieved perfectly by the combination of e.g. funky guitar and synths, as in 80s Disco. Listen to a lot of that, and Prince, and also Reggae, and ask yourself what is it that's making you move - it comes down to one thing, Clever combination of non-beat instruments with the percussion and drums stepping into the background a bit. Listen to Latino Salsa and tell me what's creating that infectious groove.

7. BudSpencer

BudSpencer Producer

Awesome song! I can easily picture me moving to this in a club (or banging my head while driving). Infectious groove, brother! Thanks for Sharing and keep on grooving!

8. Steve Andrews

Steve Andrews Member

Yea you know that's a great idea of a vocal hook and I had thought about it but just couldn't put my finger on one so I did what I normally do and create a 'tool' if you will for a dj or anyone who where to play this. Maybe a vocal remix?? You've got me thinkin now. Mostly loops and samples so good ear for recognizing. Prob a hat or perc loop of some kind. I usually try to chop stuff like that but when good clean samples are good and clean, they work! Hey thanx for taking your time to reply, most appreciated!

9. Steve Andrews

Steve Andrews Member

Yea it's pretty much a deep house repetitive percussion track and your right in saying it doesn't meet the groovy bar in the mentioned senses you spoke about. Maybe I'll throw my hamer and a wah through my next joint like this a do as you say and inject some true funk! Thanks Thankful!

10. Steve Andrews

Steve Andrews Member

Bud, thanks my dude! Will keep grooving as you said. Hey your youtube link doesn't work for your last song. Got a working link?

11. BudSpencer

BudSpencer Producer

Unfortunately, I just deleted my YouTube channel. I'm in between phases, but you can still check some of my previous work at Soundcloud. The dead link was for this song here:

Thanks for the interest! :mates:
    PS: Sorry for hi-jacking your post!!!

12. tooloud

tooloud Guest

Love this one. I wouldn't be making a trip to the bar or the bathroom, I'd be in front of the decks with my fist pumping the air. It's just what I always wanted to hear at 3am.... Peak Hour, if you know what I mean.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Steve Andrews

Steve Andrews Member

Thanx mate! Come to think of it, I would assume you would prefer a track like this over something like Anti-Bomb. My worry with this one was whether or not the building synth line kept it interesting and appealing throughout the track?

14. tooloud

tooloud Guest

You've nothing to worry about. The synths keep changing tone and dynamics and hold your interest throughout. You've inspired me. I've just been down in the studio trying to do what you do.