Tips on Ambient/Electronic Style

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Oxyuranus, May 23, 2017.

1. Oxyuranus

Oxyuranus Member

Hello guys!
    Does anyone know if there are tutorials on Ambient/Electronic music? Or maybe someone familiar with this kind has some useful advice on basics? There are tutorials around most of the genres, but lacking in ambient music or perhaps I'm unable to find anything.

Here are some example of the kind of Ambient/Electronics I refer to.

Sorry for my Eng and thanks in advance.

3. ia

ia Producer

I love ambient and atmosphere, so I'm very interested in ambient too! Try to look at granular synths, lots amounts of reverbs and delays, pads, drones, textures, atmospheres

4. ed-enam

ed-enam Rock Star

Not exactly electronic but to get some idea, I like this channel. It's of ambient guitars basically. He has some tutorials as well.

https://www.youtube.com/user/chordsoforion/videos

Apart from what is already stated, keep white noise handy. If you have some of your own tracks, choose one and put lots of reverb on it. Render it and select some parts of your liking, chop them. For each part, create a new track and loop it with multiple chops (crossfade them). Automate volume with creativity. This way you will have a background ambient pad which you can use it in your next production. Have a look at synths like Zebra, Dune or Arturia collection. Any would do actually.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Oxyuranus

Oxyuranus Member

Yes, Zebra is absolutely one of my favorite synths, along with Bazille and Omnisphere2.
    They seem to be suitable for this kind of thing, combined with reverbs like 2CAudio and Valhalla and delay like DubMachines (M4L Device) and things like that.
    Finding tutorials on this kind of music is like looking for a virgin in a hard movie set. It really seems that those who produce such music keep all the secrets hidden.
    Thank you so much for your tips, they are very appreciated. :bow:

6. notremid

notremid Producer

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Oxyuranus

Oxyuranus Member

The MusicRadar post is great, very useful. :yes:
    I'll go and take a look at the Sonic Academy tutorial, it looks interesting and I really think it will help me.
    Thank you so much, notremid.

8. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Play a lot with automating filters, effects, amounts, resonances, volumes, everything. That keeps the sounds interesting and it's a good basis. Most of the time you would want to have beds for the piece, drones, pads, whatever. You could take any records you made or really any samples, get creative with effects, slap some reverb on it of course, and start tweaking stuff and record the results.
    Most of the time it's all about keeping the music and the atmosphere interesting while it evolves, changes, or shows hypnothic loops and patterns.

Crystallizer from Sound Toys is a neat tool

9. Oxyuranus

Oxyuranus Member

All these good tips are more than a good starting point.
    I'm really grateful to everyone :bow: