Tips for transferring to new PC?

Discussion in 'PC' started by lordradish, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Rudy Manterie

Rudy Manterie Platinum Record

make an image with macrium reflect (free for private use) and deploy that on the new computer

2. Ankit

Ankit Guest

I know it won't help but clean install is best solution.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  3. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I used October 2017 release for mine, but would recommend any of the last 2018 releases for newer computers due to USB3 driver problem when installing W7 with newer chipsets. Their release is not a "lite" release, indeed, but I noticed that I couldn't uninstall some things I wanted gone from the "lite" release I used, so I used a "normal" release [unchanged MS official+all updates] and uninstalled everything I don't need from it later. Yes, it uses much more HD, but once you uninstall MS crap you don't need from it, make audio optimisations, and reduce the services according to BlackViper website, everything works OK, and the memory usage is reduced to just a bit over 500MB. That's alright. :wink:

I still would prefer a proper "W7 audio lite" release, but I haven't found the time to make one. :sad:

4. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

MOVIE MAKER ,media player :how do deinstall ?:dunno:when not in rt seven ..

its worth it...:invision::hillbilly:but i kno why you dont , cause you little to big IT perfectionista and thats why(and thats good so..he he) . you would raise more time than assess'ed for such work...heh heh...

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  5. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

Everything you can uninstall is in "Programs and Features">"Windows Features". If I remember correctly, I uninstalled all of the "Microsoft Multimedia" from there, and like 95% of their stuff, actually. I did leave the Photo Viewer, though. It's fine. Notepad and Paint can come in handy. :rofl:

I absolutely agree about removing Movie Maker, Media Player, and IE - which you can't remove completely, but at least you can tell it to sod off. ;)

6. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

i have feeling IE is the hardest one....i think to remember clearly that i removed it in rt7 but on my lite version is a IE damn...but i can live with it for the first...
    also in the meantime i became pretty fast to custom a full win7 installation...doesnt take long if you kno youre shit well...
    ------------
    i was dreaming bout wrapping vst file system into win lite with rt7 he he...bit utopic i guess..

7. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

leave old drive as backup/restore source,
    do perform clean install,
    if you buy new specs, then don't bother installing Windows 7, because lack of drivers will make everything painful (last time I installed Ryzen rig for a friend, only one combo PS2 port for keyboard and sata optical drive was available for install, quite unpleasant experience involving second PC to swap system drives in order to copy actual drivers!)
    try if all things work, if you loose some presets or custom settings, only then copy those from the old drive

8. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

win7 best audio windows OS after XP .....win10...is see no benefit for me only negatives....sames as vst3 fraud
    maybe true but have feeling with asus or msi board and intel chip you would have not so much trouble ....forget bout common usb3 driver...best is buy usb3 card with driver cd...
    i dont need that much drivers....firewire,gpu,chipset,usb3...i run completly unupdated os on main puter at moment my lite version..ok c++ and redis is needed for some warez..it lack some win workflow updates but i can live with it since i believe like this it has best performance...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  9. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

ASUS PRIME B350-PLUS was the mobo, forget about USB completely regardless of version, because the EHCI/XHCI implementation is entirely different within BIOS, also network driver doesn't work out of the box, so really only way to get drivers (which are available on mobo manufacturer website) into the new PC running Windows 7 is only from SATA (either drive or CD),
    been there, done that, multiple times;
    speaking of firewire, it's an obsolete technology which is basically not supported in Windows 10 at all, so actually you might be more lucky running Windows 7 IF you will be lucky picking right mobo;
    I was dealing with similar issues years back, finally ended up with MacOS hackintosh :chilling:

10. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

heh heh im a hopeless case
    ----------------
    yea hackintosh is the only exception in puncto mac...(for me)i mean i never would run a mac but hackintosh is worth a thought..

11. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

which wire u use..?

12. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

The biggest pain is all those hardware code based keys and licenses that have to be re-done.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  13. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

you mean audio interface?
    I use PCIexpress interface (RME HDSPe AIO), which has 2in/2out balanced XLR and 6.3" TRS headphones, but also features 8in/8out ADAT so I can plug additional preamps/converters via optics (so no electrical ground loops),
    I use usb 2.0 interfaces for recording on the go, as a matter of fact usb 2.0 can handle up to about 70 audio channels, it's just a pity most manufacturers are incapable of providing solid drivers (I use old RME Fireface UFX and old RME Babyface)

14. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

i really like adat i dont own it but i like it...but that optical has no ground loops is one of those knowledge gaps i had until a second ago..thx...thats very cool..

pretty obvious with word optical involved anyway:deep_facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I still haven't had a pleasure of installing anything newer than Intel x270 based PCs. I would really like to see a Ryzen PC, because that's what I'm planning to buy for my next PC. If the new PC won't work with W7 properly, which I haven't encountered yet with any of my builds, I'll just go the Hackintosh route, too, rather than continuing to struggle with Microsoft shit. I was never really fond of Windows, anyway, especially because I know it like the back of my hand. The more I knew about it, the more I hated it :wink:

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

curious what you will report bout ryzen

17. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

Really? It's not that hard to look up what hardware you have. I wouldn't touch the auto driver update apps, especially the ones marketed as "booster", and even more so "gaming". This is absolutely not needed and it's borderline begging for malware. The place you should get your drivers from is the manufacturer. Always.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

indeed Qrchack.....indeed

19. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

lemmy is buildin a ryzen rig....maybe he open thread if he has the time..

20. tothedub

tothedub Noisemaker

Easy...
    Acronis True Image, using Universal Restore (which implies copying needed drivers to usb key).
    Then once in Windows install missing drivers (if any) and clean obsolete ones with RAPR (Driver Store Explorer).
    VERY IMPORTANT: If you have Ilok licenses, deactivate them before the whole process to avoid having "ghost computer" with your licenses on it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List