Tips for mix real and virtual instruments?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by ryck, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Ok. That is actually a humbling post for ALL OF US.
    We all take it for granted that household names we know, everyone knows.
    Quincy did everything from jazz, to pop to rap to funk and much more.
    There are several CDs you can listen to where the bass is doubled. One of his own which uses this a bit is 'Back on the Block', I think 'Thriller' by Michael Jackson is another. Two good places for you to start. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  2. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

It's true... I feel old *lol*

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

You don't need to. I know which one and it sucks big time. I only go when I feel like discussing with pseudo-snobs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Here are two from 'Back on the Block' which use synth bass and electric bass both together and separately.

And a Michael Jackson hit that uses both basses in places. You can especially hear when the electric bass doubles in the chorus at 01:28 - I think he dropped it out in the verses for dynamics so the choruses have more impetus. Slapped bass back in the mix with synth and guitar just before the guitar solo 02:44. You can also hear it change after Eddie Van Halen's guitar solo. It has been mixed exceptionally well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2020
  5. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

He also produced Rashida Jones (quite literally produced her)
    and she's gorgeous https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rashida_Jones

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. ryck

ryck Guest

but ... who is Michael Jackson? im jocking..dont kill me ...:rofl:
    but still didn't tell me which one or the songs that used two bass? I would like to listen to them.
    I was listening to his music (Quincy Jones) but I heard real bass.

EDIT: @Thunoing Thumbs
    I just saw your comment, it didn't appear, now I hear it , thanks! (

I edit the message because it can't be deleted.)

7. ryck

ryck Guest

8. ryck

ryck Guest

I'm sorry, I don't think I'm guilty of not knowing all the names of great artists. They are so many. I am also bad memorizing names. Nor do I believe that you or others know the names of ALL THE GREAT ARTISTS AND PRODUCERS. And if so, I congratulate you.

9. No I do not and I seriously doubt anyone does. There are some people that have minds like encyclopaedias that go on those music quiz shows that seem to, but I am not one of them. They are often regular people and not musicians.
    After several decades, I was making the statement how we all take it for granted that what we grew up with as second nature is not what others in the world do. That is why I said it was humbling because your comment brought everyone back to earth. :)

10. ryck

ryck Guest

Ah hahahaaah. Now I get it. It's just that I don't speak English and the translator has no interpretation. Well I'm 39 years old... just a kid. I really was always bad at memorizing names, even for songs. I listen to the song and I say!! Oh that song is a good song. Going back to the previous topic... Listen to the song. That bass is perfect. That punch it has I really like it... somehow that's what I'm trying to do. Of course that punch ( I think ) . It's the punch of the bass that gives it to you.

11. All any of us can do is the best we can, we cannot do any better than our best.
    Go hard!

12. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

We know, we're not getting on you :wink:

13. ryck

ryck Guest

All of you who make up this page always help me in everything and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Many times I read things and I also want to help. There are things that I know and could be useful. But unfortunately English plays against me and I don't want to put the stop. I try to help someone and he erases all his C-disc and then I'm going to be killed! And I'm going to say... but I said don't erase it instead. No, erase it. (I hope the joke is understood when it is passed through the translator)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  14. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

This song is so great man... especially being an old-school metal-head who loves good guitar solos.

The other day I was messing around with OwnHammer guitar cabinet IRs and found a lot of "EDVH" named ones instead of the typical "MESA", "DIEZEL", "MARSHALL" or the likes. And I was like WTD is this...
    It turns out shortly before I was listening to a rarity Queen's Brian May recorded with the collaboration of a certain great guitarist a long time ago. Hell yeah... :invision:

I'm applying your tip but didn't understand the last part of your mess...$%&&$%--.....$%%&%$...