Tips for making Psytrance.

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by urOk, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Xiny6581

Xiny6581 Noisemaker

You ain't Fruity Looper enough. We, including myself who use FL-Studio are just "dark and obscure" and we just "can fiddle with loops". Sorry if I am not as good as you are. I am just a dark fruitloop after all. Why would we help you anyhow, when you painted the wall so beautifully.
    Ahmen,
    Xiny6581 :)

2. avva

avva Newbie

Ey Xiny6581.... Danish Gold Copy Party 1987 4ever.... we norwegians was pretty stunned to find dildo-wending-machines in the streets of Odense... heh

and again.... some tips... synced-random-lfo-flanger/phaser-delay and moviesamples, moviesamples and moviesamples...

3. G String

G String Rock Star

"I also know lot of popular producers use FL Studio. 9th Wonder, Boi-1da, Basshunter, Deadmau5, Mike Oldfield, Tim Berg (AVICII) and Audiojack to name a few." - Petri Suhonen

Apparently Petri made a dance hit in scandinavia somewhere, with FL.

And let's not forget, Sgt Pepper was a 4 track recording made 45 years ago. Just get on with it? :D

4. G String

G String Rock Star

oh, here's the Dutch dance hit Petri had......with FL.

http://www.youtube.com/petrisuhonen1#p/u/12/Zo8XzdxBkK8

It's youtube, so sound quality is tough to assess, I guess. But.....it is what it is. Obviously FL can do pretty sophisticated stuff. It's damn good anyway. :D

5. smartlad

smartlad Member

FL users... Adam Nickey, Adam Szabo, Afrojack, Arnej, Artic Moon, Arty, Avenger, Bassjackers, Breakfast, Carl B, Dawn, Der Mystik, Johan Ekman, Juventa, Heatbeat, arybde & Scylla, Mike Wind, Nitrous Oxide, Nivaya, Özgür Can, Sequentia, Suncatcher, Ummet Ozcan, Xgenic. I'm sure there are many many more..

Personaly I'm not a fan of fl but thats just me. If you like it, stick with it and learn it. Its not the tools that make good music its the user.

6. smartlad

smartlad Member

To the op (urok) since this is almost 2yrs old, how have you been getting on in that time?

Are you still an fl user? It seems to be the main choice atm for edm artists.

7. xsze

xsze Guest

I guess you are on the roll by now, 2 years passed and I heard some of your stuff, you are good to go :mates:

But let this thing rolling, many people use Sylenth, Massive, Zebra, Ace, Surge, Omnisphere, Albino, Largo, Synth1, Z3ta+,KarmaFx, Trilogy,DiscoDSP ,Renegade,Predator,Vanguard and other popular ones.

My new favorite is Spire, rest is Sylenth, Trilian, TAL 101,Diva,Monark, Massive, that's actually everything, also ES1,ES2,ESM,Exs24,Ultrabeat from Logic :wink:

Other tools: U-He Phaser is phenomenal IMO, Soundtoys all the way and guess Glitch,Effectrix things are used among artists, Quadrafuzz is ultimate classic bass distortion,FabFilter Saturn is new thing, actually everything is mostly the same as for any other genre, whatever keeps your juices flowing *yes*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=El9QJaK5h8A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os9UV5__1PM

8. urOk

urOk Member

@Xsze

He he, yes :mates: Two years here :) Still learning, and is not so easy, but I want make one track which will be party killer :dancing: so I need learn MOOAAAR ! , and pity I have no time atm to focus on music, got really good job so need focus on it. Anyway I've learn a lot here, thanx to all of you guys ! And also I quit FL Studio, I fall in love with Studio One and I wont change it even for Cubase 44068460 version ;)

@smartlad - Here is something for you, this is my progress I know is not perfect but hey I still have a time :)

http://soundcloud.com/hallunx/hallunx-aliens-intelligents

9. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

I don't personally use FL Studio because in my opinion it is not as robust for mixing and mastering. That being said someone had a long spiel 2 years ago so I am travelling back in time to let them know they're wrong. They wanted a band that uses FL Studio. I don't even need to make a list, here's one:

Psy'Aviah - The Worst In Me
    http://soundcloud.com/psyaviah/the-worst-in-me-introspection

Psy'aviah - Fear (Theory)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcldNOLg0Rc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h0TL-Lgvj0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIpi6IK6ynk http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOB9YEnOqaU

Industrial...nuff said. :grooves: :boombox: :break:

FUCK WHAT YOU HEARD!

10. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

^ agreed, while you can still make a pretty good track with FL Studio and MIX well with it, the signal flow of the mixer is really annoying and inefficient.

Like, I know I can make a really good mix with FL, but fuck man, I can do it so much quicker using Ableton just because I actually get the way the signal flow through the mixer works...it's easy and understandable, therefore I can make creative routing decisions.

I understand how FL's mixer works as well, but everytime I use it I'm like, 'Why do I have to do that, can't I just route my midi and audio to another channel this way?' or something like that, really gets me annoyed but I still believe it is a really fast and creative tool that's good to start with if you're a kid working your way up.

But once you start gaining an engineering mentality, you start questioning the logic of it all and that gets in the way of your creativity...that never used to happen to me when I was a kid, which is why I use to make some really gnarly sounds with FL...but now it just doesn't make sense to me in terms of efficiency and DSP control...

I love FL's arrangement capabilities though, really fast and smooth,

Abletons arrangment can get really stiff, and the only time I wan't something to be stiff is when I'm ready to...nah don't worry...

Ableton all the way :wink:

11. smartlad

smartlad Member

Hey urok that's actually quite good, nice mix you have there. So how you finding studio one? I've tried a few times to get into it but I get frustrated when I know what ever it is I'm trying to do, I can just do it in an instant with Ableton. As HK says Ableton all the way :wink:

Just listening to those Psy'Aviah tracks Catalyst posted. Really cool stuff not what I was expecting at all, will be searching for more me thinks *yes*

@xsze.. Those Andi Vax videos are great, seen them a while back. He's very helpful as well and responds to you pretty quick via email.

12. urOk

urOk Member

@Smartlad

At first, i want thank you for listening and for feedback.

Studio One is very intuitive DAW, I love the work flow, all in one place I can see how my track is growing, progression in one place, not like in Ableton, two different worlds. I've tried Ableton but is too messy for me. I hate this session work and arrangement. But everyone has different taste so I won't start fight what is better and worse.

13. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

avva
    +1 I have a notebook I bust out whenever I hear a good sample.

urOk
    I really like the stuff you've posted, nice work. :thumbsup:

I think it's really great particularly for 2 years. *yes*

14. xsze

xsze Guest

It's really nice, I think you should explore industrial, I'm glad you escaped typical moogish 16th bassline and most of the standard lfo-ish sounds and good old supersaws, quite a good thing you have going on, refreshing *yes*

I find them somehow complete and really helpful, guy really opened up and helped everyone, really gold mine for any psy interested individual *yes*

15. Mechanix604

Mechanix604 Kapellmeister

16. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

Forum.isratrance.com