Tips and tricks to make a good remix!!

Discussion in 'Electronic' started by Hardwell, May 30, 2014.

1. Hardwell

Hardwell Noisemaker

The goal is to gather tips that help producers and djs improve their remixes, such as how to change the sounds and rhythms without losing the vibe of the music, how to create a melody that matches the acapella, and all sorts of tips related to remixes ... I think it would help several of our members, thank you!

3. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

If you're doing a mashup, make sure the Keys/chords match/complement/or 'make sense'. Tempo must match, etc

4. recycle

recycle Guest

Art is human creativity, skill, imagination and emotional power. It is impossible then to have a recipe, a “to-do list” to create any artistic gesture. Art to be real “Art” must break the rules.

So, whoever gives you rules about how to make a good remix, well….is lying

5. CaliReign

CaliReign Noisemaker

Nobody said anything about "Rules". He said "Tips" on how to make better remixes. Tips are not rules. And I would hope that if a person has spent the time seeking out a forum like AudioSex, they probably already have an understanding that there's not many "Rules" in creating music.

6. chd

chd Newbie

+1 argument overruled

tip #001: Clean Your Ears :excl:

(no joke, should be standard practice if youre serious with your craft)

tip #002: Protect Your Hearing :excl: :grooves:

7. dadarkman

dadarkman Producer

It may be hard for me or anybody to write enough tips on this thread that would be helpful to you. However, I can point you to a few good source:
    Tutorials, Tutorials, Tutorials. I can't say it enough! The amount of knowledge you can grab from Groove3, Sonic Academy, AskVideo, Lynda and the likes is priceless. I got to tighten up and expand my knowledge in music production way farther then I could ever thought possible without going to a reputable music school. With that said, I'd make the following recommendations with some of my own advice added.
    The Art of Remix (FaderPro)
    Tip & Tricks Series - ALL of them (Sonic Academy). Although not necessarily labeled or specifically target Remixes. There are many tip and tricks in the series that are valuable and helpful to know in general and will tremendously help in advancing your skills in production.
    Lynda.com - Remixing Techniques Time StretchingIf you are serious about remixing then Time Stretching is one of the MUST-KNOW technique to have knowledge on
    Sonic Academy How To Remix in Ableton Live Although it is done in Live, the techniques can be applied in general in any other DAW.

At many levels, the same exact work and knowledge needed to make a full track, are also applied to making a good remix. You still need to know Chords, Scales, Intervals in the music ends. I had to learn and understanding quick that Remixing is actually Producing!

You still need to know at least the basic of mixing, ie. compression, EQ, filtering, and so on. I recommend Groove3 - Mixing Electronic Music It is done in Logic, but again, the techniques and tips applies to any other DAW.
    Re-use your plugins the smart way: I'd recommend that once you find a set of plugins to create your Channel Strip, make it a default and use the same set on all your remixing work. Using Waves today, then switch to iZotope on your next track then use the stock plugs from your DAW on another is just not consistent enough and counter productive to a remixer/producer workflow. Remember though, this advice ONLY applied to the channel strip, NOT your virtual synths and effects. You can flip flop, add and switch these to your heart's content.
    Karate Chop: Sampling is at the core of remixing. So, there's no escaping it or learning it half way; it is an ultimate skill to have. The weapon of choice to sample and chop gonna vary depending on who you ask, I can only talk on my own work flow. I find myself not ever using my DAW (which is Live) to do sampling work. My two weapons of choice are Sound Forge and Audition. IMHO, the level of refinement and depths that can be achieved on an audio file in these two programs are unmatched. Oh! Oh!, if you are on Maschine then you can also kick butts when it come to sampling :wink:

A Producer/Remixer is like a Chef in the kitchen. He doesn't have to cook exactly like his competitors. However, he must know the recipes and spices they are using so he can make his own variation. With that said, it is a must that at least one of the following FX plugins is on your list: Turnado, Effectrix, Db Blue Glitch, iZotope Stutter, Cyclop, Synplant, FL's Gross Beat. I'm pretty there are many more but these are the ones that I know of, and can be heard on a slew of current original and remixed tracks.

Remember that the primary users of your remixes are DJ's. So, make it an habit to always make the Club Edit of your remix first then size it down to Radio edit. As we know, it always easier to go big to small, but harder they other way around. You keep a Club Edit from about 6 to 6:30 mins. Radio Edits from about 3:45 to 4:00 mins.

• Besides that, it's all about staying glued to the remix/production world. MusicRadar.com have a compiling section where they list what Producers/Remixers and bands are using in their studios. These guys details what they use and how they use them in their tracks. It is a pretty interesting section actually.
    • Keep track of your favorite remixers. Not just to listen to their tracks but to analyze their tracks.
    • What's trending, should you apply them or not. I'd say that you can't ignore trends (in the particular Genre that you are remixing). However, I'd advice that you modify the trending sound so that it is not an exact copy of everybody else's.
    • Find yourself a signature sound... a piece of FX, percussion or something that is almost always attached to your tracks. That way, your followers can identify your tracks from afar.

Well, that was my two cents. May it be of any useful help, my friends!