Tip: Fix for u-he plugins permissions

Discussion in 'Software' started by an07her, Jan 2, 2016.

1. focusrite

focusrite Platinum Record

Follow the instructions the same on Win 7.

Because it's the most common problem with my current versions, I'll just post it here.

Relates to ACE, Zebra 2.5, Uhbik, MFM2 beta, Filterscape beta, and various alpha versions

By default my installers will save their .dll files and resources (Zebra2.data, ACE.data etc.) into Vstplugins. Unfortuantely most people have their Vstplugins directory somewhere under C:\Program Files\ - which by default is write protected since Vista. The outcome is, neither of my plugins can properly save preferences, registration codes or presets. In some cases even crashes are possible.

The data folders can however be moved elsewhere, e.g. into your Documents location which then is accessible. Here's an explanation for Zebra, but it works similar for the other plugins aswell:

• in Windows Explorer, find the Vstplugins directory that contains Zebra2.dll. It should also contain a folder called "Zebra2.data"
    • move the entire Zebra2.data folder into C:\Users\(you)\Documents\
    • right-click Zebra2.data in its new location, and create a shortcut (symbolic link)
    • move the shortcut back into the Vstplugins directory that contains Zebra2.dll
    • if the shortcut is called "Zebra2.data shortcut", rename it "Zebra2.data"

This way Zebra follows the shortcut to look for its resources. Same for the other plugins.

During the next months I'll work on this a bit more, make the installer even more aware of the issue than it already is and make my stuff deal smoothly with it. Until then please follow the above steps, should you run into this issue.

Cheers,

[​IMG] Urs

2. jjohnsonof

jjohnsonof Member

Thanks, this didnt worked for me. I try to add admin and my-acc rights to the specific folders.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  3. jjohnsonof

jjohnsonof Member

I managed it to get all U-He + Slate Plugins saving presets etc. re-installed them and initialized in live with "run-as-admin".

4. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

bookmarked this thread)
    have no problems since first installation on my PC in 2012, throughout all the updates, up to the latest updates (non R2R), but it will be useful in the fewtcha. Once they may f''k me, because it is u-he...Hope not.
    Thnx

5. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I have an issue with some u-HE plugins and Ableton 9.5 that is not permissions related. I put my .data files in my Documents folder so don't have permissions issue, and never have. However, since installing these FIXED versions of the plugs I am getting problems. Sometimes they load fine, but about 8/10 times the crash Ableton with the "Live 9.5 has stopped working" error with "close program" as the only option, which in effect force closes Ableton. It seems to happen, annoyingly, with Zebra more than the other as I can mostly use Diva and Hive, but cannot use Zebra without the crash at all. And I am running Ableton as admin too. I have tried then in Cubase and FL Studio, and they work fine in both of them DAWs.

Any ideas or anybody else getting this?!?!

6. TwinBorther

TwinBorther Kapellmeister

In win7 had the same problem, after fighting it a lot got to the same solution you have there. The U-he page recommends a method too, but didn't worked for me

7. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

Same thing I haven't been able to use Ableton in weeks since I upgraded the versions. I am also using the AKAI VIP software so one plugin being unable to work means none of them are able to work...since opening up an instance of VIP freezes everything =/

8. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

I got an issue with ace/diva and zebra....in that when loading either up it now says theres missing data/and no gui to speak of..then asks for permission when trying to acces the relevant docs depite me already having permission to do so......have tried the advice so far but nothings worked as yet.......on win7 64bit

9. m9cao

m9cao Producer

my solution:
    1 move the data folder to yourname/document/u-he/
    2 double click the shortcut "zebra.data",
    3 run your daw once with permission, load the vsti

on win10 64 bit

10. vector99

vector99 Kapellmeister

thank you this fixed my problem, Running the DAW as admin is good too but yours is better

11. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

Changing the permissions in the u-he folder located in c:/program files (x86)/u-he worked just fine for me in both Windows 7 and 8.1. I only use the vst2 plugins in 64-bit though.

12. thethirdperson

thethirdperson Producer

@Bunford I haven't had any problems since updating Ableton to the most recent version (9.6.1) did you get the issue resolved?

13. jynx

jynx Platinum Record

Cheers for the help peeps.......Got em all runnin A-ok:like:

14. David-93

David-93 Newbie

hell yeah