Tinnitus Anyone? I may have help for you in the studio

Discussion in 'Education' started by Cardamom, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Cardamom

Cardamom Platinum Record

I read something the other day about tests they did with subjects who - like me - suffer from tinnitus. The tests involved exposing sufferers to sound sans/without the offending frequency their tinnitus is linked to. (Though mine is not too bad, in a dead quiet room, I can find it really bothersome, but it doesn't affect my mixing, which is good.)

So what to do?

1. Find your tinnitus frequency with a noise generator. Play the tone at the lowest possible volume sweeping slowly all the way up until it suddenly disappears in the 'fog' of your own personal tinnitus frequencies. Continue to sweep up above that, just in case it's an aural illusion. It may take a few passes or a couple of different wave-noise types (sine/square/ etc.) to figure out your tinnitus frequencies.
    When you figure it out, write it down (mine is from 4745hz - 4775hz.)

2. While mixing anything (or mastering), notch filter out the tinnitus frequencies. (I choose an extremely narrow notch at around 4760hz (right in the middle of my tinnitus's range). Don't dip - NOTCH that frequency out completely. It's SO NARROW it won't affect your overall mixing tone/sound.

3. Mix your music for a few hours with this notch filter sitting on your master buss (so that absolutely everything is affected).

4. After a while, step back and see if the tinnitus has been minimized, reduced considerably or alleviated! For me, this has worked fairly well - and I'm quite surprised by the success! I drink a lot of coffee (which doesn't help) to ease migraines but really stay away from aspirin (notorious for tinnitus aggravating). But this notch filtering technique is really amazing, I feel. What it does is fool your brain by giving the 'offending frequency' a break (kinda like noise cancelling headphones, but much deeper/more organic in your brain).

5. At the end of the mixing session (when it's time to export/bounce to a mix/pre-master) flip the notch off so that nothing is missing from the sonic balance of your mix. Don't forget that part.

HOPE THIS HELPS!

Cardamom
    #tinnitus #relief #tinnitusmanagement #notchfilter

• Like Like x 6
    • Interesting Interesting x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. farao

farao Rock Star

interesting

4. DJK

DJK Rock Star

very interesting:wink: im sure everyone that producers music especially on headphones get some form of it, im sure i can hear a faint buzz after long mixing sessions

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  5. Always Grateful

Always Grateful Kapellmeister

To help with Ear Tissue repair Vitamin A and Fish

Sardine and Anchoivees for Omega 369
    Faxseeds
    Beta Carotine, if you
    Vitamin A
    Flaxseed

6. albert001

albert001 Producer

Thank you for the hint, gone try this at home later the day.
    I have a tinnitus til 2003,it came from clubbing and DJ'ing, I had to make several Auto gene Trainings(Learning To Point The Pain Away From You're Self) to deal with it.
    Sometimes it works and sometimes it's not working(Wen I Am Too Much Stress't Out).:sad:

7. tvandlover

tvandlover Producer

Thanks for the tip. I did work out my frequency once when comparing with a friend, whose was was quite low from how she described it compared to ours. She now has very expensive hearing aids which she says alleviates it. I am mixing a song today so will give it a bash.

8. very interesting... mine is so bad that sometimes it turns in to a larsen signal...
    i've tried everything... the only thing that helps a little is a bunch of drops of hydrogen peroxide (10 volumes) in my ears for a couple of minutes... it helps soothe the buzz for some time...

9. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I have tinnitus as well. Courtesy of a "Rage Against The Machine " gig and later metal disco combo.
    It'd have come out equally someday.
    This method is interesting, it's like adapting the "tinnitus frequency" (I have to try it someday) method to mixing.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  10. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

pinknoise helps sleep if drastic suffering

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

I have it too :(
    From my years doing live sound .
    I can't get rid of it tried everything , have keep tv on at night or it drives me bananas.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. mr.personality

mr.personality Producer

Read somewhere magnesium helps. Been taking it for years and had notable results. OTOH, there are other variables exacerbating tinnitus and could help by stop drinking and relieving neck/skeletal problems. There could also be placebo effects to be factored in.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. ThrashHead

ThrashHead Platinum Record

Interesting, I'll have to experiment with this.

Slayer and Motorhead live did a number on me. Primarily from Lemmy throwing his bass on the ground and letting it feedback relentlessly. :woot:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. ThrashHead

Metal and Disco should never be in the same sentence. :rofl:

15. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

Tell that to powerman 5000......
    :(

16. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

OMG :rofl::lmao::hahaha:

I meant a metal music discotheque, but ofc you know it playful fella lol

17. Producer

Producer Platinum Record

3rd house on the left.The one with the lemon trees
    It's nice to see that other people have the same issue with you. Sad thing for real but in a way you feel that someone understands you. I don't know if mine was a side effect of DJing:dj: or my son screaming in my ear:crazy: :bleh:. But anyway my frequencies vary . Doctor said I should rest my ears more but as you know , I can't stand the silence. Due to the nature of my work , I'm constantly listening to frequencies (thank god not at loud levels) but I'm usually working around 12-18 hours a day and I sleep around 4-5.So no rest for me ears. tinnitus freq was around 6800. Yesterday I did another test. it was 7khz and 10khz :grooves:. I don't know if it gets worse , but 7 and 10 are not really related as harmonics. On the other hand , my DNA carries another ear issue that fortunately still haven't shown up. It's something that causes the 3 small bones we have in ear to get hardened thus not carrying the signal through .

P.S: If you like movies , try watching (if not already) Baby driver. It's a nice one and it circles around a guy who has tinnitus. If you are one of us , you might also feel a bit emotional about that. Cheers guys:cheers:

18. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

Mine is several unrelated frequencies as well.
    There are time when in my mind if I can picture and match all the pitches then when I find them flip the polarity I can get it temporary go away .
    ( But that's ridiculous amount concentration for only like 15 mins relief boo.)

19. ThrashHead

20. GuestStar

GuestStar Ultrasonic

Here is a German youtube chanel who has special exercises for different pain relieves. You have to follow the exact protocol he is speaking about.

He shows how to remove tensions from the body.

Try the automatic translator if you need for other languages.

It might help.

Myself I used a lot of his exercises and they helped me a lot. Good luck.

21. fetepilly

fetepilly Member

Have serious Tinnitus for about 15 years now i think.
    My father has it one of my best friends.. my brother in law also.

Nothing helps if you have t from sound/damage.
    Not filtering eating fish etc..

Only thing is stop reading trying etc move on and live your life.

I was really angry when the second docter told me this but he was right.

Took a few months but it doesn't bother me anymore at all and my right ear is insane.
    Left ear is normal test tone.

As soon as you accept it it wil get better.