Timing Control From DAW For External Hardware

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by Lois Lane, Apr 12, 2023.

1. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I'm hoping you folk can help me by explaining how I can control tempo from my DAW (FL Studio) and slave a Moog Subarmonicon and DFAM.

I have a sound in my head and am perusing a new creative direction using these two machines as well as found sound, vocals and guitar,

Thank you.

3. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Perhaps the cable supplied with the Subarmonicon, a midi to 3.5mm from the Novation 61SL MK III (to CLOCK IN on the Subarmonicon) if it is synced to the FLS tempo. Is this a thing?

Help:dunno:

4. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

Yes.

Sync Subharmonicon to DAW with MIDI and slave DFAM to Subharmonicon with patch cable.

Page 25. Midi clock overides all other tempo clocks...
    https://back.moogmusic.com/sites/default/files/2020-05/Subharmonicon_Manual.pdf

Top of page 2, Subharmonicon as master.
    https://back.moogmusic.com/sites/default/files/2020-05/How-to-Clock-Sync-Subharmonicon_0.pdf

5. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

@JMOUTTON

Thanks for that. Now what I need to suss out is where to output the midi clock from, the keyboard CV out of the 61SL or some way caress FL Studio with the plugin Fruity Voltage Control to pass midi out of the RME UCX II?

I'm a bit on the slow side:unsure:

6. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

You're welcome.

I would stick with MTC from FL studio as it's global and you've already using a MIDI channel to the Subharmonicon, it will send CV to the DFAM through the patch cables from its clock to the ADV/clock and Sync/Triger.

Unless you are going to use CV as a modulator in which case you can just slave them both to CV but you'll be giving up two 4 outputs for the task instead of 1 MIDI channel.

Not familiar with FLS but there should be a master sync option somewhere, and MTC is global so all devices will be locked to your tempo track.

Good luck, sounds like fun.