Time to switch From Mac to Win

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Moogerfooger, Dec 31, 2017.

1. thewire

thewire Member

I just bought a Mac on Christmas eve. I have had PC for years. Very fast PC's at one point had Pentium D's and Xeon processors. What I came to learn after all these years is that having access to so much ... molds you into a software gear junkie. You start to do more downloading than creating. More playing with toys than learning every aspect of the things you do have. External hard drive after external hard drive, update after update, etc. Mastering a few Vsti and the necessary Vst's and a solid DAW will get you where you want to go faster. I went Mac to limit myself, so I can go back to doing what I use to do before the PC became so relevant. Making music. Trust me it's an addiction, I am already having withdrawal symptoms seeing all these new toys, but I have stopped salivating and anticipating gifts and requesting everything from those great minds that have been very kind to us. I share this to hopefully inspire. Peace.

• Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  2. Ankit

Ankit Guest

Yes, I am trying to get out from that phase.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Aleksandar Iliev

Aleksandar Iliev Member

4. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

you can watch some video demos on youtube, surprisingly it actually helps as you observe the plugin enough and often loose interest to fiddle with it yourself :D

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. nor17

nor17 Noisemaker

I've had the "time to switch" discussion earlier because i think Apple forgot his proaudio customers for a few years untill recently.
    I use Logic as a DAW and will continue to do so. I've produced years of work in Logic and I 'm used to it. I'm not saying it is the best DAW (certainly not the worst) but I love it more then I hate it sometimes. What to do with Apple's hardware then?
    The way I used the software to make music mostly, puts very much stress on the hardware. I used Logic to record in a live situation where two or three people use lots of software instruments with Logic as host. As you probably know, some of the best AU's or VST's are very cpu-intensive especially for one thread. The more powerful cpu versions of iMac's and Macpro's are very expensive and even don't have the power to use some UHE or Kontakt instruments together with low enough latency (it's not about the core's but it is about ghz ) My first (partly) solution was to use a custom Mac (aka Hackintosh). I tried that a few years earlier in the Core2Quad CPU period. At that time it took me lot's of time and frustration to make it work. Today the custom Mac's are easy to make if you choose your hardware carefully. The custom one computer solution did worked for me for a period of time. But when i want to use all great sounding virtual instruments together in a "live" setting, I don't think one computer is enough at the moment.
    Today I'm very happy to use both OSX and PC together with the Vienna Ensemble Pro software. It's quite an investment but it works. It gives you the control back to use whatever you want in a network setting. It's also one of the rare solutions to work with different musicians together in an integrated network where they all have individual control over their virtual instruments. The setup we use the most is: a 4790K 32gb w10 pc for Kontakt, a 4770 osx/sierra pc for logic, and two Macbook Pro's for my guest musicians. They have the VEP host for their instruments. Logic is receiving all the midi and audio but don't need to process all the VI's.
    It seems that a little bit of wisdom is returning to the hardware policy of Apple. I think the newest 27' IMac with i7, 4,5ghz can work well as a central music computer, the new Macpro on the other hand is, at least for music, not a very good investment imho.
    Still I don't believe the one computer setup can host and fulfill my music-software needs in the nearby future.
    So no switch but PC and OSX. With the combination you can try all the software as it's available and buy it if you like it. By the way: the last one I've bought for osx after trying on pc is Repro. Just like Diva, it is a very nice synth in a slightly different way (almost "non" software) but it seems that good-sounding synths use more and more cpu....

6. thewire

thewire Member

I may try this too, I still have a my PC. I’m just glued to the iMac rn, already getting something done. I have the same iMac specs you mentioned above. So I’m off to a good start. Yes, iMac pro’s price tag let’s me know Apple is either crazy or just out of touch.

7. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Kapellmeister

i dont think im going back to windows any time soon,i dont use too many plugins,all the plugins that i use are in mac.

8. Von_Steyr

Von_Steyr Guest

If five people in this thread actually produce music, then thats a lot. You guys sound like girls chatting about pedicure and anal bleaching.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  9. electriclash

electriclash Guest

anal bleach.jpg