Time to switch from Cubase Pro 10.5 to Studio One 5?

Discussion in 'DAW' started by Bunford, Jul 15, 2020.

1. acatnamedharmony

acatnamedharmony Ultrasonic

So Studio 1 v5, I don't know how to feel completely yet but I do feel cheated by the new show page. Which is the main reason I dropped money on the upgrade.

It's definitely not the equivalent of clip based music making, like at all. If anyone else wants to chime in I really don't know how to describe it. Regardless If your biggest gripe with Ableton is its mixer, Bitwig, is definitely where it's at. V3's got a very solid and fluid workflow and is super customizable so you can "Ableton" without most of the limitations. I just wish it had rewire. I have yet to completely figure out how to use Jack on Windows, it feels incredibly convoluted every time I try to figure it out.

I'm still a Studio 1 fanboy...there are so many things about it that make it so much easier to navigate and stay organized in comparison to any other DAW's I've played around with.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  2. WizzDome71

WizzDome71 Producer

GET DEEPER into Live if you already use it
    Look at this video.

What other DAW could achieve this revolutionary way of working with samples?
    (this video is only a starting point of what you can do with your own libraries. Using this method, all my drum kits are compatible and inter-changeable within all of my projects, I have access to thousands of sounds in 30s. The possibilities are almost infinite)

Not talking about the routings and macros you can assign to almost EVERYTHING. I probably use only 10% (or even 5%) of the power of this DAW:crazy:

Then go tell me you need Cubase or FL or Bitwig or whatever (I do not include Logic because that's a VERY good DAW for other reasons). If you know how to use this little wonder, you don't need anything else. And you can still import your WAV tracks in an other DAW to do your mix.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  3. CharlieCrizzle

CharlieCrizzle Kapellmeister

ableton can be very inspring. There are so many max4live devices that can really spark creativity . And yeah creating 128s as the above poster stated is awesome.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkRTnxmOiA2CllqpgKUMGwQ

this guy has some of the best shit on the web and almost no one knows about him . Watch some of his crazy shit

4. Blue

Blue Audiosexual

What is special in Logic,according to you?I tried it very quickly but I didn't find anything special or better than Cubase.I don't mean it's bad either.

Talking about Live,I love all its creative features,modulators,M4L,its plugins,but I can't work with this DAW.Everything is cluttered and unreadable since your project is a bit consistent.You don't see at a glance all the plugins that are on your tracks,few keyboard shortcuts.Unless I missed one trick,when you work with midi external gear,you can't draw midi cc envelopes in the arrangement window,they are only available into the midi events.For me all these cons are a no go unfortunately.

5. WizzDome71

WizzDome71 Producer

Logic has nothing "special" but everything is easy to set up, routings, automation, grouping, and the mixer is good too. It has a pretty quick workflow for these reasons cause everything is easilly accessible. But I don't find it as "creative" as Live. I'm not telling that Cubase is not a good DAW, because to me it is one of the three best work environnements (with Live and Logic)

6. Moonlight

Moonlight Audiosexual

I feel the same with Studio One. To my eyes it look less good as Apple Logic. But I prefer the workflow of StudioOne (drag and drop everywhere yeah).
    Especially Musicloops , and the FaderPort integration are are awesome.
    So in the end you need to decide what's more important, the look of something, or the workflow.