Time-Stretching Vocals

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by au38wzh, Feb 15, 2015.

1. au38wzh

au38wzh Platinum Record

How do you time stretch?

I made a remix and wanted the vocals to be slower and keep the pitch.

This is how I did in Studio One:
    1. Found the original tempo of the vocals.
    2. Gave the vocal-audiofile in studio one the original tempo (right click on vocal-audiofile. set tempo.)
    3. Changed the tempo in the project. play the song -> loads of drop-outs/crackles.
    4. Exported the vocals as audio file (with the new project tempo).
    5. Imported the exported audio-file into slower project. now, the audio-vocals match and no drop-outs/crackles.

I'm happy with the result.
    Original tempo was 112bpm. went down to 100pbm. then to 90pbm.

though I'm happy with the result I wonder if there is a better 'time stretching algorithm' out there for PC (standalone or vst).

Will check Celemony Melodyne and Waves Audio SoundShifter.

I also wonder how much the quality of the original audio file influence the result.

Thanks!

3. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

- iZotope RX4: Time&Pitch ("Stretch&Shift" window - works as with "iZotope RADIUS" technology, there is a lot of advanced setting to adjust, superior quality).
    - iZotope RX4: Time&Pitch ("Pitch Contour" window - select your position in RX editor to process and then click on "Time&Pitch" (Pitch Contour) - dram your pitch as you want, speed may not be changed, superior quality).
    - ProSoniq TimeFactory II (maybe newer exists) - I have never seen extremely high quality of time-stretching... But a lot of people maybe prefer mentioned above "Stretch&Shift" with RADIUS by iZotope, maybe they haven't tried ProSoniq TimeFactory II...just write original bpm and bpm you want to get, or percentage...choose algorithms - for vox, for instruments, high quality etc. listen them in all quality algorithms and compare. A lot of time too wait for render, because of extreme quality.
    sound forge, audition, etc. - a bit worse, hate them.

Special recommendation: do you want to restore your vox from background sound, clicks etc. without destroying audio? i can make it for free for you. Days ago I restored vocals which I have "stole" from the track The Prodigy - The Day Is My Enemy. Super quality. I like to restore and edit, I'm pro, but no-one pays attention on editing etc. I can help you achieve best results. Just ask.

4. au38wzh

au38wzh Platinum Record

Thanks mild pump milk!

Do I understand correct: You made an acapella from the Prodigy's song "The Day Is My Enemy"?
    If thats true, I'm more than happy to take advantage of your help to get best results :wink:

About ProSoniq TimeFactory II:
    - It's only for Mac.
    - Zynaptiq Acquires Prosoniq Product Line and Technologies.

Checking Zynaptiq products. PITCHMAP sounds intresting:
    "PITCHMAP is the world's first and only plug-in that allows processing the pitch of individual sounds within mixed signals in real-time. It lets you change the melodies and harmonies of any recording by simply playing your own on a MIDI keyboard or creating a pitch map using our stream-lined GUI, and optionally corrects any tuning issues at the same time. As if that weren't enough, PITCHMAP provides functions to suppress individual sounds within a mix, and can apply advanced synthesizer-like sound transformations to your audio. In short, it is an inspiring musical instrument, a precision corrective tool and the only processor that literally lets you shape music with your hands."

5. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Prosoniq TimeFactory II for MAC ?????????????? :wow: :wow: :wow:
    And how I use this on my Win7 PC? :wow: It's not true, it works well on PC

Yes, I made an acapella clean! I also restored all acapellas from "Prodigy-IMD" album, because I have flac instrumental. Phase inverting doesn't do everything, because different mixing/mastering and both analog. So a lot of restoration after phase inverting of original and instrumental - voila, clean IMD acapellas.

I do a lot of restoration before someone sends me tracking. Spectral repairing, etc.....

Zynaptiq - i haven't used it yet...