Thoughts on WhiteSea Studio (YouTuber)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by dj_jon, Jun 18, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Not only I believe you, I already suspected something like that. The fact they still teach that is just fucked up and shameless.

PS. Sorry, couldn't help myself

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
  2. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Well that's wacky

3. bravesounds

bravesounds Kapellmeister

I don't understand why people today follow YouTubers. They don't make money from music, they just make money from views by plug-in nerds.

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

He certainly has his own shtick. But I do not just watch the guy's videos randomly. If I am going to buy or download something, I will often check out his review video if there is one.

I do not pay attention to ""disclosure", I just assume they all have some reason to plug the stuff they are hawking; so I take his review with a grain of salt. I would not buy something just on his say-so. Especially after trying Kazrog True Iron, which was free anyway. I felt like he was excessively positive about it, maybe even promoting it rather than just a fair review.

But he has absolutely saved me time and effort, just by not installing demos and testing them myself. I do not think he has "talked me out of buying" anything; as I only watched his video because I was already on the fence about a plugin.

5. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Maybe. In some of his videos he does visit some older guys studio though and talks about how he turned up there as a teenager and so on to learn mixing and mastering and worked there for years as an intern of sorts. Based on how he talks and references he makes to other goings on in other studios in the building and the sharing of gear between them and so on. Sounds to me like some kind of shared space with shared gear too. He also talks about loaning or getting things from the guy he interned with and so on. Therefore, not sure if it is that he comes from wealth, or whether it's just an accumulation over time and the shared purchasing of gear?!

6. OOM

OOM Platinum Record

7. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

For Americans desperately trying to find The Netherlands on their map it ISN'T in America. It's like, you know, out there someplace.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. Cardamom

Cardamom Platinum Record

I just unsubscribed. His thumbnails remind me of a blow up sex doll the villain owns a cheesy Hollywood movie.
    When it comes down to it, he just goofs around with stuff and overreacts when he thinks something sounds good or meets his expectations. Quite tiresome now actually.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. statik

statik Audiosexual

wow... just wow... i have no idea where you got that from but damn that's completely wrong. Dutch is simply the english word for nederlands, nederlands is the language we speak here. Holland is a different name for our country, the Netherlands (Nederland), it's prolly derived from 2 of our provinces, zuid-holland (south-holland) and noord-holland (northern-holland). i think you're confusing the germanic people with germans which are not the same, however the germanic people, also called germans, are the same ancestors to a lot of the people of the european countries and dates back to the roman times.

the dutch language is called niederländisch in german

Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
  10. tamere

tamere Platinum Record

11. DJ-Ugly-Katz

DJ-Ugly-Katz Newbie

Holland is een streek in het westen van Nederland

Source: https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland

Just because you think you know something doesn't mean you actually do...

OT: I like his videos mostly, I'm quite shocked how his mixing and mastering skills are doubted here. He does that professionally, you know? It is his day job, and the studio is his work place. Anyway, I find it difficult that he makes some many plugin reviews these days while being heavily biased towards analogue (which he knows and admits), would like to see more analogue reviews or tutorial style videos.

12. statik

statik Audiosexual

well since i'm living in zoetermeer which is a city east of the hague in the province of south holland i think i may know a thing or 2 about the netherlands. so show me, on the map, where this province called holland is exactly.

also:
    The official name of the country is Kingdom of the Netherlands. King Willem Alexander is the king of the country. Holland only refers to the two provinces of North Holland and South Holland. Nevertheless, the name Holland is often used to refer to the whole of the Netherlands.
    source: www.holland.nl
    [​IMG]

OT: never really watched his videos so i couldnt say

13. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

No, it is not 'completely wrong'.
    1. Yes, ofc Dutch is the english word for the language of the netherlands. But as I said, it refers to duytsch or duutsch. A language spoken by the Germanic tribes who came from what is todays western Germany and settled in east-central Netherlands. From there, "duytsch/duutsch" developed in parallel in the netherlands and germany. The part of this linguistic stem that still exists in german today and goes back to duytsch/duutsch is "plattdeutsch" (plattdüütsch, plattduitsk, plat, nedersaksisch) or as it is called in linuistics: Neuniederdeutsch (New-nether-german). But Nederlands is still a different language, which is why I say: the English have messed it up. :yes:

2. I referred to the (historical) county, holland, which covers only these two provinces, not colloquial. BTW every time i travel with friends in parts of the netherlands that are not in the west, my friends and I are kindly pointed out by the residents with a wink that they are not "holländisch". And when I say every time, I really mean every time. I noticed that in Friesland in particular. :rofl:

EDIT:
    Nederlands can be translated into German with "niederländisch" as well as with "niederdeutsch". Whereas niederdeutsch is a west Germanic language family with regionally divergent dialects and niederländisch explicitly refers to the language spoken in the Netherlands. You will find that people who speak nederlands and people who speak plattdeutsch have relatively few problems communicating with each other. Whereas nederlands and modern German "hochdeutsch" are two completely different languages. BTW in Plattdeutsch Nederlands is not called Niederländisch, but Nedderlands, Nedderlandis or simply Düütsch. Depends on the regional dialect.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
  14. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

I am an American.
    OK , I get that the Netherlands is not in America.
    But as a starting point, could you tell me where on the map America is?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  15. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

You know, yonder

(I always called Holland "Dutchland". And all that stuff up yonder where they make the Saabs and ABBA is Norwigia.)

16. ARTHEMISC

ARTHEMISC Producer

[​IMG]

Regardless of the pros and cons of the White Sea Studio (snake oil) channel, it is ultimately up to us to choose what we want to watch and what we don't.
    Every channel has its own market/audience. We wont judge that those who watch Dan Worrall are all good and those who watch White Sea Studio (snake oil) are just people who have no value and vice versa.

I remember back in the 1990s, I would just sit and watch local television on channels that were so boring. I couldn't find what I wanted at that time (every channel on my local television was sucks).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now I'm grateful that I can choose anything.
    When I want to be serious, I can watch Dan Worrall, and when I want entertainment and another point of view, I will watch Snake Oil or something else and so on because there are many choices there (not only Dan Worral and Snake Oil).
    [​IMG]

It's just up to us how we respond and assess each channel and make decisions on what we want to do (buy plugins, learning music production, and so on).
    [​IMG]

Have a great day everyone
    [​IMG]

17. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

I'm sorry for you :bleh:

Depending on which region you are in and which map you look at, america is either on the left, in the middle or on the right. Suuuuper helpful

Last edited: Jun 22, 2023
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

You mean the continents (as in Americas) or one particular one of those, or the country colloquially called such?

19. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

What?? Lol. I mean the continent. But doesn't matter, because it comes down to the same thing.

20. Haze

Haze Producer

I'm not gonna directly quote "I am the truth" as I think that's just feeding the troll unnecessarily. I do find it very odd that someone purporting to have an interest in the music "industry" appears to take issue with someone's image. A joke and a bit of banter is one thing but this comment actually appears to be serious.

Take a look around. It just so happens that the biz has one or two people involved in it that don't sport military regulation haircuts to match their uniforms and armbands. Indeed, shock horror, a number actually paint their nails, dye their hair fluorescent colours and some even wear makeup to compliment their outrageous dress sense. I dunno what planet you're visiting from but on Earth people involved in entertainment tend to wear a slightly more creative image than your average plumber (though I do know a few punk plumbers).

As far as the YouTube guy is concerned. I have watched exactly two of his videos and dare say I will never watch another. I also had the thought of
    I guess he's either been provided for (at the least living for free at his parents home) or he's just seriously nerdy and clean living, and invested everything he's ever earned into equipment.

Either way I didn't find anything of interest in the couple of videos I watched and definitely way too much of the weird influency drama for my taste. Think I'll stick to Dan Worrall, Dave Rat, Eric Valentine, Warren Huart et al when I want real engineering entertainment..