Thoughts on WhiteSea Studio (YouTuber)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by dj_jon, Jun 18, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dj_jon

dj_jon Ultrasonic

Hey guys,

Just wondering your thoughts on White Sea Studio?

Love him, hate him? Watch him, don't watch him?

I personally don't watch his videos becuase he paints his nails and I simply find it cringe.
    That, and all he does is review plugins I will never use.

Plus, if I'm not mistaken, he doesn't actually make music right? Just turns knobs and talks about it?

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I don't like to listen to audio engineer YouTubers talk about music when they have never made it themselves.

They are just glorified "Knob Turners".

Last edited: Jun 18, 2023
    • Like Like x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • List
  3. gotnofriends

gotnofriends Kapellmeister

:hillbilly:

4. ARTHEMISC

ARTHEMISC Producer

[​IMG]

I often stop by his channel. Sometimes there are interesting things about what he talks about. Especially when it's about comparisons and data.

Not the best channel I've seen, but there are some useful things there to add insight.

Sometimes he's unintentionally funny.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  5. dj_jon

dj_jon Ultrasonic

I will say, I have been saying "Darude Sandstorm" a lot more recently :rofl:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Barry T

Barry T Producer

I know his gimmick is "use the plugin without reading the manual" but it is often painful to see him fumble his way around a vst and completely miss it's point, in a hectic ADHD "influencer" manner.

Too much epmty talking, and not enough sound examples of what the plugin does.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. adsaxxx

adsaxxx Ultrasonic

You'd be surprised to know, but a lot of people share the same opinion as yours on this matter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. mild pump milk

mild pump milk Russian Milk Drunkard

Yeah
    Sandstorm by Dah rooooood)

9. Barncore

Barncore Platinum Record

I find him to be an entertaining personality, I like his communication style, but don't really like his review style because he doesn't read the manual and often makes incorrect conclusions because he doesn't know how to use it, which makes his information pointless.

He also harps on too much about analog themed GUI. I like GUI's with analog style knobs on the visuals, I think they're fun, so it's annoying that he shits on those GUI's as if he's representing the audio community

But hey, thankfully there are other channels I can rely on for in-depth plugin reviews (mixing with Mike, Mixbustv).

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  10. Alcide Nikopol

Alcide Nikopol Member

True he is not a musician, he is a sound engineer, so he has his way with knobs and with more knowledge than most musicians. The colored nails thing has nothing to do with his skills, but granted, I find it a little odd as well, I feel it is more like a fashion/statement thing. Who am I to judge that? Anyway, I can live with it. In fact, I don't care how someone looks or behaves as long as that person is being true to him/herself.

I almost always take away something from his videos and often I find it somewhat strangely amusing to watch them. Also sometimes I can not bother and just close yt.

But... yeah being adhd myself I know it is sometimes hit-and-miss..
    Most of the time there is too much talk and nothing being said. Something that a lot, not all, Dutch people have in common. I am not bashing them, it is just my observation. There is plenty to like about them too. :wink:

Anyway, I try to look further than the obvious and make up my mind after having watched the video. If you don't have the patience to look through the loud presentation, better not watch it then, better for everybody :winker:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

[​IMG]

12. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

He's got no major credits, no plaques, and no pro credentials so it's not worth it for me to watch his channel IMHO. To take his channel for anything more than pure entertainment is problematic and akin to the blind leading the blind. As always to each their own comedy channels.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  13. Krypton85

Krypton85 Ultrasonic

I really can't stand those clickbait titles combined with the "surprised face" thumbnails each and every time. I know many influencers do this but it's getting boring over time.

WytseWytsePopytseCollage.png

• Agree Agree x 17
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. Synclavier

Synclavier Rock Star

that's SNAKEOIL

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Alcide Nikopol

Alcide Nikopol Member

This is not always an issue for me.
    A lot of the good folks around here don't have those credits and seem to have a very good ear and honest opinions.
    Look at all the so-called credited people who are on the websites endorsing software and other products that are 'indispensable'.. I don't take them seriously at all. The commercialized editorial joining the product mostly says enough and ruins their credibility. Even to the point where it really might be true, that person may well use that product very often, sadly, it is just not credible anymore.

I just wanna say that the major credits alone don't cut it for me. I think integrity and being thousands of hours in the game is more important than just being famous in the industry. I don't know about Wytse's integrity (he has some videos about that), but I am pretty sure has had thousands of hours and expertise in the area of sound engineering.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  16. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Only extreme options?
    I've seen some of his video and they were interesting to me.
    But others were not. No love and no hate.
    I don't mind who he is nor what he does to his nails or hair or what ever.
    When watching YT videos I only search for info, no matter the private decisions of the person.

• Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

isn't this the description of 90% of videos you can find on youtube? that's why i mostly stopped watching videos about music, now i just make it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  18. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

whole YouTube went overhyped bullshit way, there's literally nothing else (and shorts ofc lolz)
    WhiteSea channel is no exception,
    if you want some aDhD mUsT sEe viDeO then it's a reasonable channel to watch, but don't expect any real ProTips
    :hillbilly:

19. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

He is entertaining at times and I feel he is fairly knowledgeable when it comes to sound. Now whether you like the way he mixes "music" is subjective. I look at him in the same light but not quite at technical as Paul Third.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. anissbenthami

anissbenthami Kapellmeister

He may be knowledgeable of hardware to a certain extent but I don't trust what he says about plugins simply because in a lot of cases he approved plugins that I find flawed

21. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I just think we are benefiting from his existence a bit. Especially when more plugin developers stopped using "old rackmount unit" with skrews GUI and Auto-gain function keep appearing on more new plugins. The amount of really snakeoil, bad plugins are decreasing in numbers and a real snakeoil plugin that get destroyed by his video either make a comeback with added useful features or just never made it at all. All plugin developers in the world aware of him and he lives rent free in their head pushing them to do better whether they admit it or not and we are indirectly benefiting from that.

• Agree x 7
    • Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • List