Thoughts on the Moogerfooger plugins ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Stevie Dude, Dec 7, 2023.

1. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I used to own the MF102 the Ring Modulator pedal, bought it just for fun to experiment with guitar, but sold it few months after because it needed additional routing to get the best out of it, which I hate sometimes for guitar. I got my vintage EHX stuff that's simpler but crazier, plus I don't really dig what the Moog does for guitar and above all I remember how it sounds.

Today I get to play with that pedal again in plugin form. Well I'm kinda surprised that it sounds nothing like how I remember the pedal. Thin, cold, unpleasant distortion (feels like Melda Production, United Plugins style distortion ?), not brilliant sounding and the "ringing" suppose to sound different, when use a drum loop as a carrier, it should put you into the sci-fi vibe territory real quick. It didnt with the plugin. Or maybe I just got old, memory got distorted, over glorified and such. Hey, it's me i'm the problem it's me.

yes, I know that you can set the LFO, Envelope from Mono to Stereo by going to the Settings menu.

So I tried another plugin, the MF-101S filter, well, it's THE filter, from the creator brand itself. Again, thin etc etc etc, drive sounds funny, everything like what I felt with the Ring Mod plugin. I load the Kazrog Synth Warmer that's not really a direct emulation but more or less the same with right settings. Wow, that's how I know a Moog-ish filter should sound. PHAT, fuzzy, angry, when cranked the resonance (or emphasis in the Kazrog's) it scream with passion. Maybe it's not accurate but the Synth Warmer sounds like it is trying to be Moog but the Moog itself feels like a lazy recreation of it.

Tell me i'm wrong. I'm ready.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. capitan crunch

capitan crunch Producer

I owned the ring mod and the filter and they were great. Poor Bob.

Noogerfooger on the installation?

4. Triphammer

Triphammer Producer

I currently have the Moog Minifooger MF Ring pedal and am quite happy with it. Also EHX Ring Thing.
    I'm from NYC, know Mike M. and was an EHX/Sovtek dealer so I admit I'm a bit of a biased fanbois...LOL!!
    I like them both just different flavors. I have not tried any of the plugins yet. I was pretty excited to
    see the witches dipping their toes into the Moog plugin pond.....hope we see the foogers for X-mas!

5. Friendelek

Friendelek Producer

Just installed them. Played for 40 minutes with Mariana, so fat sound. Yes, fat, the filters sound incredibly cool. That kind of sound you can get in Spire.

update
    Moogerfooger plugins sound good, but I don't know if I need them or not.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
  6. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

I owned doubles of everything for true stereo patching back in the day. I wish I still had them. Haven't got around to messing w/the plugs yet. I don’t expect to be WOW’ed tbh.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. coolbeanz

coolbeanz Platinum Record

you're the first forum member to be able to download yourself from the sister site. :rofl:

8. RobGee

RobGee Noisemaker

I just tried them, yeah they’re horrendous :facepalm:

9. capitan crunch

capitan crunch Producer

not too bad they're useable. I only tried for about 433inutes. tomorrow more...
    I like the wood.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
  10. shinyzen

shinyzen Platinum Record

i got them all on some stupid deal, and was EXTREMELY dissapointed. Not only do they sound like shit, but they completely missed the opportunity to take them to another level. Different waveforms in the LFO's, more modulators, OS, M/s etc etc etc. I played with them for a day, realized how shit they are and moved on. The only one i use still is the murf, because it can be cool for sound design, and im not aware of anything else that does similar.

11. Novacoma

Novacoma Noisemaker

I have not heard great things from these plugins. They do not sound like the real deal.

Have you tried the Model 72 from Softube? It comes with the VSTi but also with an FX version which you can use to run your tracks through.

Also saw on sister site the new Kuassa ring modulator “pedal” and it seems quite interesting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Will Kweks

Will Kweks Platinum Record

The CV business is interesting, maybe it will be the ticket. So basically all of them send and receive interplugin modulation signals so you can modulate the filter pedal from one of the envelopes of the synth or whatever. Cool, but it should have some sort of container to save your setups and routings, would make an awesome modular setup I think.

Moog's iOS outings have been solid though (Animoog!), but these haven't yet to convinced me. However, there is a massive fucking problem here: OH MY FUCKING GAWD the CPU usage. Mariana is probably the processor-eatiest mono (well, duo) synth plugin I've ever tried, and the foogers are also way up there for what they do.