Thoughts on pirated samples, DAWs... etc.

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by onekutcha, Nov 12, 2018.

1. BukkaBlue

BukkaBlue Guest

When I go epic and famous I will still use warez because they are easy to backup and set up. I can have my complete workstation set up in 2 two days without internet connection. I can also go to the other part of the world, buy laptop and MIDI keys there, download my full configuration from the cloud and continue working there...I can also duplicate my workstation for anyone who teams up with me. It simply is the best way and nothing else comes close to it. Music is my job and this is my tool and I need it stable and available.

When I go epic and famous I will definitely buy what I use. But I won't be installing it, no sir. Bought stuff will sit in a mail and that's it. I trust anyone should be rewarded for their work and I will honor that. But that won't stop me from using warez because for me it is not piracy - it's an alternative solution (also a beautiful thing for young kids without money and who want to start practicing this art early on. They can try and learn much more before they get the money. If I hadn't had the chance to play with FL as a kid when it wasn't even possible to buy it in my country I would have never be where I am. Team AIR with their Cubase crack has done more good for me then all school teachers combined. I am grateful for that and I want to support this.)

P.S.
    We're slowly heading into a world without money so these questions may soon become moot anyway. But until then, let's help each other any way we can. Screw labels! Just give honor where you can and do good when you can and enjoy life and music.

Peace!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2018
  2. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

The general feeling I get from many people all over the music world via Internet, is that sometimes one month is not enough to adequately trial an application whether a DAW, stand-alone or plugin that has a multitude of features and a massive manual.
    It does have merit in that reason and only in that reason.

However, I will always believe if a person is using something all of the time, with "all of the time" meaning daily or in every project, that after three months they should buy it. This is because whatever they are using is contributing substantially to their sound.
    So it is a form of hypocrisy to say "I wrote this" using something that might have been a big contributor or a large enabling mechanism to getting their music out there if they do not own it.
    I do not expect a lot of people to agree with me because it comes down to each person's sense of personal integrity.
    Cheers

EDIT: Imagine you have found a cure for cancer. It cost you $10,000 to research and test it and create it so it is safe for anyone with cancer. All you ask for is enough to recoup your costs, then someone goes out and gives it away for free to everyone. While your motives were that it should be free or inexpensive at best, the marketing people then remove any support whatsoever. In software, if people never buy it, most people cannot pay their bills and they will eventually do a job that pays their rent and food, no matter how big or small they are. So that software ceases to be supported and the programmer no longer does anything. These days compared to the 1980s, 1990s and even 2000, it is rare to find a lot of software over $1,000 other than "suites", when it used to be many times that for what we get these days. Yes there is some garbage out there, but most people can read and know how to test things first.
    A large proportion of people spend more on a video card for their machine than on software because software is no longer more expensive than hardware in general.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2018
  3. Smoove Grooves

Smoove Grooves Audiosexual

wow. Why not give up now if you believe that!? :rofl:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. Smoove Grooves

Can't be done, afaik.
    Unless all employees pretend to be the same person; the original buyer!
    Just have a look at the T&C's of something like Omnisphere, for example.
    I looked into this years ago, because before I owned what I use, I thought I could just find a studio, or another muso, that owned whatever it was I'd used on a track, so I could write them into a song-writer's split! Alas, no.
    If this were possible, life would be a breeze. And a lot cheaper!

edit: Hmmm. Although if you & I did a collab, and I owned Omnisphere and you owned a Spitfire lib, then we'd just say that I played all the Omnisphere and you played all the Spitfire lib!
    So I may be talking out of my arse, after all!
    Hey, lets mic it up!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  5. Smoove Grooves

Aww, sorry bud, but:
    ...is hilarious to me, the more I think about it. As if time sig would make a difference to exhausting all possible melodies!?
    And even if you're just referring to grooves, still nah.

But, no disrespect, you sound like you may still be in your teens?
    As an instrumental musician, you don't sound like you have a lot of theory behind you, with comments like the 'exhausting ideas' thing.
    Plus, if you are a good instrumentalist, just go out gigging to raise money for your most needed libs.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  6. Smoove Grooves

Can this not be done without the help of warez, i.e. with legit??

7. Smoove Grooves

That's interesting, and kinda strange, as it doesn't correlate with my personal experience involving 2 chart acts.
    One of them, with <blatant> use of a product, had a quick uprising, and bought the product after the fact. The devs knew already. Was no biggy. But I guess ymmv.
    Where is this information you quote from? I'm interested.

8. genophyte

genophyte Producer

i just really feel the need to repost this and say how absolutely bad it is knowing they had access to top studios and audio engineers

9. Smoove Grooves

With this type of work, I'm not sure if the studio makes any difference.

How does this relate to the OP's topic?

10. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

I just caught up with this thread and i'd like to pose a hypothetical situation:

Independant Artist (and EU citizen) Martin Bertrande Von Smidt (known to all his buds and associates as Bertie Smith) works under the moniker HyperSlutNinja... he releases a cool tune that contains a viola legato patch from UnitedStatesSampleCo's SuperSexyStrings lib (along with maybe 10 more from assorted other libs)...

Miraculously it gets some traction and racks-up 250,000 hits...

Randomly, someone in UnitedStatesSampleCo happens to hear the track and is quite sure the legato on HyperSlutNinja's song is from their lib...

So they go back to the office and search their purchase orders DB - omfg neither HyperSlutNinja or Bertie Smith is on the list!.. but:

1. How do they know that Bert Smith didn't buy the library in cash in a shop?
    2. How do they know that maybe his gf or family member bought it for him as a gift?
    3. How do they know that he didn't purchase the lib under his debit card (legal) name Martin B Von Smidt?

At what point do UnitedStatesSampleCo call interpol?

11. Evo

Evo Kapellmeister

Sorry for the OT but…. some guy mentioned ripped song so...
    Want to listen to the most over ripped song of all time?

The beginning 0:54

1° rip-off 0:11

2° rip-off 1:05

3° rip-off 0:05

4° rip-off 1:13

5° rip-off 0:50

6° rip-off 1:15

:dunno:

Ah wait, this guy is incredible. Listen to this:
    0:56

0:01

:rofl:

0:31

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. genophyte

genophyte Producer

pirating his fathers fame to promote this abomination that thankfully never came out on a full album

13. Moogerfooger

Moogerfooger Audiosexual

Licensing your music is a more realistic way of earning real money in the industry. Bands that make money by touring are the top 1%.

14. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Unbelievable, didn't know that, although Stratovarious is not unknown to me.