Thoughts on Kush Audio?

Discussion in 'Software' started by nopenopeaudio, Nov 23, 2022.

1. nopenopeaudio

nopenopeaudio Ultrasonic

3. DiRG3

DiRG3 Kapellmeister

Their youtube channel is really cool imo, lots of great information about sound design techniques, I haven't had any experience with their plugins however. Tbh few compressors really interest me beyond a few notable ones like SmartComp 2 by Sonible and Vulf Compressor by Goodhertz. The latter adds a really nice color. I'll try anything once though, I just feel like most bread and butter plugins like that tend to not add a whole lot to the equation unless it has a particular sound you want or improves your workflow.

4. Alex Philipp

Alex Philipp Platinum Record

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Kush plugins are kinda cool. They all share this certain character to it in a way. Not bad sounding at all if used correctly but can easily destroy a mix if too much. I assume they were designed with "coloration" and "saturation" as the main idea, and they did it really well IMO. Some that I like :

1. Clariphonic EQ - parallel EQ for stereo bus, nothing beats this one for shaping high end.
    2. Electra EQ - (maybe) inspired by the API style proportional Q parametric EQ. Emulation of their hardware. Super tight sounding for percussive element, drums. They advertise it as "Electrified Transient Equalizer".
    3. Goldplate - collaboration with Relab, among the best sounding Plate reverb plugin ever but it wants your soul (read:CPU) for it. Not even one single person on earth from youtuber to pro mixer ever said that this plugin is bad, but ALL of them not using it for the CPU consumption reason alone after trying it out.
    4. Omega Series - cute little simple transformer saturation plugins that is world class sounding. I particularly like the API (Omega Model A) and the Neve (Omega Model N)
    5. Silika - diode bridge stereo bus compressor that has the sound range from a classic 2254 to ADR Compex. Think of it as an alternative to the 33609 or Zener Limiter that has similar character (saturation-wise) but with a whole lot of extra edge and balls.

Worth mentioning : UBK-1 - a lot like ELi Fatso and can add some nice movement to sound.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    • Like x 7
    • Agree x 4
    • Interesting x 2
    • Love it! x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • List
  6. nopenopeaudio

nopenopeaudio Ultrasonic

Just tried some of their plugins out - This is some seriously high quality stuff! A bit high on the CPU usage for many of them as some have stated.
    Unfortunately Goldplate just straight up does not work with FL Studio; no sound playing.
    Clariphonic was recommended a lot. It's a nice plugin, I'm just hardwired to use TDR SlickEQ at this point. Very interesting EQ curves though!
    Edit: Forgot to mention the file size for each individual plugin is absolutely insane. 700mb for Silika alone!

7. D____R

D____R Kapellmeister

Tremendous.

8. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Kush Audio have been around for years, and I've been using their stuff for years, some classics already referred to above. One not mentioned though is their Hammer DSP plugin. It's a clone of the A-Design Hammer hardware, which is a tube EQ, and developed in collaboration with A-Design. It's truly an amazing EQ, especially to thicken up and add weight to the low end of a mix!

Their Blyss EQ is a pretty awesome saturation beast when used as a mastering EQ too!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  9. Nehal

Nehal Member

Hey guys. Which one from kush would you suggest i go for:

1) Silica
    2) novatron
    3) if there's any other plugin you can suggest from kush.

Mostly for electric bass and vocals. Generally otherwise, as well. Please let me know your opinion. Thanks in advance.

10. FrankWhite23

FrankWhite23 Producer

Yeah there UBK 1 is my go to for drums .. especially kicks and snares and Tom's

11. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I think most of the Kush's plugins are more useful for the stereo bus, drums, percussion and all those transient heavy materials. I don't think I've ever used it for sustained element like Vocals and Bass ever. Silica, Novatron (and Bliss) are more like stereo buss processing which I believe kinda overkill for Bass and Vocals processing. Clariphonic though, could be useful for vocals to add some excitement to the high end. What are you using for bass and vocals for now ?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  12. Nehal

Nehal Member

I mostly go all tube for bass. I like the dark grind and roar that i get from the tubes. Hence my dilemma if i better go with novatron or Silika. What would you suggest i go for? Jazz bass. DI.

13. TheRiddler303

TheRiddler303 Kapellmeister

why not just Demo both of them and then pick it by yourself?

i will get novatron this year, as its a killerprice this time. Kush will have regular sales through all the year. as i was checking the prices constantly on the sales, i would say through the year, you will get silika cheaper then novatron, but this was just what it was over the last 12 months. you should still get the tool what works best for you, not what is on a better price now :)

14. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

My personal opinion, I'd say neither, but you can demo them and see if you like it. Off topic, for DI bass I like this rubbery sound (for lack of better word) from a compressor and for as long as I remember I've been using Analog Obsession Varimoon for it. 8:1, hpf=100, fastest release (0.3sec) 2-3db GR. Not sure when I started, but always that settings for long time already. It's free, try it.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  15. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

theirs asmr-styled audio tutorials on youtube are cool, plugins are average, just my opinion
    :chilling:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  16. GodHimSelf

GodHimSelf Platinum Record

64$ USD for BF. Gonna buy it.

17. Alex Philipp

Alex Philipp Platinum Record

99$ for me. Do you have extra discount? or it upgrade?

18. GodHimSelf

GodHimSelf Platinum Record

There was some sort of promotion.

19. dia manu

dia manu Producer

bought some a while ago, turns out i prefer a fag and a proper beer

20. Golde

Golde Ultrasonic

yeah, unfortunately as much as I want to love the plugins because the developer is a cool guy, there is just always something else out there that I end up preferring over them. I have been using the newest LG drive plugin on the drum bus sometimes, but it still hasn't made it to a final mix yet (though it was released pretty recently). I have tried them all and they are all decent (except the plate reverb which I was surprised how mediocre it sounded...seriously I can't believe people would use that as it is very uninspiring sounding and takes up tons of cpu...for algo use UVI or Black Rooster or Transatlantic or just get Fog Convolver 2 for a great convolution based verb) However! The guy's band with his wife/partner called Sneaky Little Devil is awesome - especially the song Sweet Low Afterglow. Listening to that was pretty much the first and only time I've checked out a tutorial channel person's actual music and really liked it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  21. ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ

ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ Platinum Record

Cool guy, friendly and open,
    he's got a great YT channel which is legitimately interesting..

The plugs are also interesting,
    surely Different from the rest and very functional.

Problem is, he's a bit like:
    Oh, don't trust other companies products, they're just Snake Oil..
    Take Mine instead :wink:

(But you know, his products are just as Snake Oily,
    if not more! lol)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List