Thoughts on Glyph External Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by pimpdrop, Oct 23, 2013.

1. pimpdrop

pimpdrop Ultrasonic

I need a bigger external hard drive dedicated to storing music project files, recordings, sample libraries.

My current external
    - 500GB Glyph
    - has died 3 times in the pass year after 2 years of use
    - Data successfully recovered under warranty and drive repaired (free)

I like their drives because
    - extremely quiet
    - great warranty/free data recovery
    - multiple connector types > usb, firewire(what I use), and esata

Only downside is that these drives are 2-3x more expensive then a typical drive of the same size. I want to get a 2TB Glyph drive now, but I'm not sure whether it's worth it. I'd like to hear what you guys think. Thanks for the input.

3. franknitty69

franknitty69 Newbie

glyph is an overpriced hard drive that does not give you any added value. i take that back, the free data recovery is added value tho. but the downtime of not haivng your drive kinda negates that. a daily or weekly backup trumps free data recovery.

i recommend building your own external. pick your enclosure and pick your drive. you get the best hard drive with the interface you want at a much cheaper price than a glyph.

enclosures i like are oyen digital. they have have every type of enclosure and interface you can think of.
    http://oyendigital.com/

as far as drives it depends on if you are going for speed or storage. for speed nothing can beet 2 or more ssd (raid 0) in a thunderbolt enclosure. i like the Samsung 840 Pro Series. for storage my favorite is the Seagate Barracuda 4TB. and for 2.5" HDD, i like the samsung spinpoint m8.

4. theantididdy

theantididdy Newbie

I think Glyphs are amazing drives. Although I have not used that many other drives to compare with them. I have 4 Glyph drives, a 1TB a 2TB a 4TB and a portable 500GB drive. I have never had any issues with any of them (knock on wood). They are def a bit pricey but they are built well and seem to work incredibly well too. I am surprised to hear that you have had your Glyph drive die 3 times in the past year. I will continue to use their products. But I do like the idea of building my own drive. One thing about Glyphs is that they don't have thunderbolt yet. I'm a Mac guy and all of the new Mac hardware is thunderbolt based. They do still have the USB 3.0 though. Will be interesting to see if they adopt Thunderbolt, like G-Tech already has.

5. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Newbie

I went with a cost effective method.I use 2 Seagate 3Tb externals.Both drives are mirrors of each other.In the event 1 drive fails I have the other to copy onto a new replacement drive so I don't need a data recovery service.These drives don't really get used that often.....only to add new projects,libraries,programs or to copy to my internal 1Tb on my laptop.Since I use a gaming laptop I have a 256Gb SSD primary and 1 Tb secondary so firewire is not needed.Everything I use pretty much fits onto the 1Tb internal but if I need something different than what I have on there I just delete a few libraries to make room for what is needed at the time.Projects I am working on and recording on are on the SSD and then in turn saved onto my external drives and secondary internal drive.This way I get maximum protection from the plethora of bad things that can happen.I also keep one of the external drives in a different location in the event of theft or fire.You could call me paranoid but when the shit hits the fan I will be thanking myself for taking the necessary steps.

6. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

Drobo Hard drive are nice http://www.droboworks.com/?gclid=CKPM99KYrroCFcU5QgodKD4A8A every thing that is good quality and that is over 1TB is going to cost im looking at a 20 TB for all my Wave Samples and Music Video files its like $3000 But i wont have to worry about storage ever again thats the price of doing music you have to use good stuff it pay's in the long run :wink:

7. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

It's best that you buy an exchangeable external hard drive enclosure and a few hard drives of your choice. That's the best value for money and more reliable. I use IcyBox HD enclosures. Cheap and they work. There are better ones, of course.

8. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

CapnCrunch -
    are your 2 externals in the same (NAS?) box or how do you implement RAID with them?

9. i1studios

i1studios Member

Although they are expensive, I'm a big fan of Glyph products. I have owned their hard drives in the past, as well as their cd/dvd duplicator, which I still use. I just purchased their 3 TB USB 3.0 desktop hd which arrived a couple of days ago. I have used other external hd, internal hd and enclosure combinations, but Glyph has been solid for me.