Thoughts on Captain Plugins Epic

Discussion in 'Software' started by 0xff0000, Feb 3, 2023.

1. 0xff0000

0xff0000 Newbie

Hi all. As a long time guitarist who can't read sheet music I've been looking for interesting tools to help take melodies in my mind and flesh them out.

I stumbled across Captain Plugins Epic (https://mixedinkey.com/captain-plugins/) and was wondering if folks had opinions on that set of tools, as well as the other ones from Mixed In Key.

Thanks!

0xf00

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

my answer for your question, is "no, I would not give them 100 dollars for this software if I were you". I'd be on the fence if it was 20.

Do you already use Scaler?

4. 0xff0000

0xff0000 Newbie

At the moment... no.

By tomorrow... i'll have given it a shot. :)

5. Technician1

Technician1 Noisemaker

scaler2 and orb suite, you're welcome

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  6. 0xff0000

0xff0000 Newbie

@Technician1 thanks for the suggestions. Orb is another one I hadn't heard of. :thanks:

7. Xenon

Xenon Producer

8. Stuck In The 80s

Stuck In The 80s Rock Star

I use lots of these midi tools.

Captain has a slightly easier learning curve than scaler 2 but i find the latter gives more interesting results.

9. hargan

hargan Newbie

Epic plugins is a nice thing, but always remember, you have to own a stable constant internet connection -without it plugins won,t work, also you can try some things from waproduction - Instacomposer and Instachord

10. 0xff0000

0xff0000 Newbie

I'm happy for this discussion, it's helped me put words to a major concern:

20 years ago I did an EXTENSIVE amount of basement recordings of local bands (w/ Cakewalk SONAR). Last summer I discovered a backup of the system I used to do all of the recordings. While I was able to get a fair amount of the data out it was of limited value. I realized that, with no way to extract the settings from Sonitus FX (the EQ plugin) and Pantheon (the reverb plugin), I would be back to re-mixing the tracks. Also, since none of them were officially "archived" there are some clips and tracks which were never consolidated/bounced and are no where to be found in the backup.

I can only imagine where that would leave me today with plugins requiring servers which were long offline due to mergers, acquisitions, and company failures.

11. clone

clone Audiosexual

Have you tried any of the little "Engine" plugins from "FeelYourSound"? They are very small plugins that generate midi you can drag and drop into DAW also. Many, or all; are released by R2R on both Mac and Pc. They are little idea starters, and much less complex/fully featured than Scaler.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  12. rOne

rOne Noisemaker

As a guitarist, Scaler2 is the solution for me.
    Just play the melody with a guitar and scaler detect all the chords that can match…
    Here's a video with the workflow…

13. clone

clone Audiosexual

This is the Groove3 Scaler Explained also: https://www.groove3.com/tutorials/Scaler-Explained

You can find that ripped the regular way also. You can try this: Go to the redeem page, enter 'FOCUSRITE30' as the code and click on 'Apply'. It worked when I used it a week ago.

Lots of these kinds of things are junk, but Scaler is the real thing; and as simple or complex as you want it.