Thoughts on Audio Technica ATH-M50x

Discussion in 'Studio' started by Vincent Price, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Vincent Price

Vincent Price Kapellmeister

Hello

What are your thoughts on Audio Technica’s ATH-M50x headphones?

Any good…I’m looking to swap the KRK 8400 for the ATH-M50x

Thanks

3. clone

clone Audiosexual

your model #'s are incomplete and can result in a very wide range of actual models. They look about the same bang for buck as the krk at same price point. I wouldn't expect any magic difference and would save my money. Also, on Amazon :

This would cement the "no". I understand someone will disagree to validate a purchase, but I'd see the focusrite and that would be over.

Frequently bought together
    • [​IMG]
    • +
    • [​IMG]
    • +
    • [​IMG]
    Total price:$269.47

4. executioner

executioner Guest

KRK 8400 was my first pair of headphones. I then tried a few from the AT line after a friend gave me his M30x (this was very uncomfortable) and bought the M50x later on. I enjoyed the extra bit of bass I got from the M50x and given the music I make it was the perfect fit for me. But I'm not sure why you'd swap out for a headphone that is within the same league. If you have the KRK 8400 I don't see the point of swapping, especially if you're used to how they sound. But this is the point I'd have to respectfully disagree with @clone as he predicted xD. It's never been associated with that entry-level Focusrite interface and it's actually a great pair of headphones. Alex Tumay uses them too :)

He mentions it at @22:26

5. ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ

ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ Platinum Record

Technically some of the Best Closed headphones that exist :yes:

For a Closed back it will have to be M50x vs DT770,
    unless you want more comfort but less accuracy, then I'd consider AKG K371.

6. Cardamom

Cardamom Platinum Record

A splendid pair of headphones, recommended to me by a voice-talent (full-time job/Hollywood connected) friend of mine, who had them recommended to him by industry mixers at the time. Use them every day, sturdy as heck and the ear-phone foam is replaceable (Amazon) for about 25 bucks when the time comes. VERY good cans - can't go wrong. They're in every 'modelling' software out there for referencing (such as the whole Waves virtual studio environments, TB pro audio and Sonarworks etc.).

7. Havana

Havana Platinum Record

My everyday workhorse. I use it for both monitoring and mixing and love the ATH-M50x.

8. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I use my M50x's daily and have done for the past 6 or so years. Can't fault them. Clear, true sound, especially when used with Sonarworks' M50x profile and I make most of my music in them before running through speakers and am always in the ballpark of where I want/expect the sound to be, a testament to their accuracy and quality!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I've been using them for about 12 years. They work for me and as well as 1,000s of studios workwide and perhaps they'll work for you too.

10. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

11. D____R

D____R Kapellmeister

As far as price and quality goes, they are easily some of the best headphones for music production that you can get.

12. BudgieSmuggler

BudgieSmuggler Noisemaker

I use mine daily. They sound killer for listening to music but need a little flattening for mixing.
    No headphones are completely flat so Sonarworks, or similar, should be used anyway.
    The ear pad covering material wears out fast but is easily and cheaply replaceable.
    I live in a very hot country and I find the standard earpad covering totally non-breathable and hot.
    Actually I've just ordered some new pads with a breathable cotton fabric covering from ali express!
    I love them. They're really durable. Nothing will break if you drop them.
    I use them for everything from tracking to mixing with Sonarworks in the final mixing stage once I've commited everything to audio stems ready for the mix.
    Some people say they find them uncomfortable. The trick is to bend the centre of the head band ever so slightly to take a little pressure off the ears. They have a metal headband inside the padding so they'll bend. Just don't overdo it, you need some pressure to keep isolation.
    You get 3 different cables with them too!

13. PopstarKiller

PopstarKiller Platinum Record

Overrated, hypes the highs and lows too much, uncomfortable. Much prefer AKG.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  14. Tob

Tob Platinum Record

Super small sounding - I pump the sound right into your ears till they bleed or your head explodes headphones :winker:. A lot of people like them I hate them. Like all headphones, you have to try them yourself.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  15. odod

odod Rock Star

I have, I like it .. but it seems the bass is a bit flooding .. but overall is very very useful

16. clone

clone Audiosexual

We're pretty much on the same page. That KRK # can google result in $12 or $129 cans, because it is not a complete engineering/model #. But unless I am replacing an existing set of cans (or monitors) I already own, I really avoid buying them online. Maybe a pair are too bright with no burn in, but you can get a really good idea of what the new pair/item will sound like in person. A good percentage of the time I like the sound and find something else I don't. A swivel on them, or AKG's cable of death, or comfort; it can really be anything because much of this is sheer opinion.

My most used pair anymore is a pair of Yamaha HPH-MT7 for around these same prices. 175$ or so at SW. They do not sound good. Mostly, they sound bad. But the amount of detail extraction you can get from them is really impressive in the price range. They are a very good "Zoom tool" to find mistakes in your mixes. Not very fun to listen to. But I mostly trust my monitors; it's my ears I don't.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Kyunghee

Kyunghee Member

I have them and one advantage is that, due to the relatively low impedance, you can use the headphones with many devices (like a phone, I use these headphones to listen to music while walking around and they sound great).

18. D____R

D____R Kapellmeister

I think a lot of the criticisms are a tiny bit unfair and don't fully take into account the fact that these are, relatively speaking, quite inexpensive studio headphones.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ

ᑕ⊕ֆᗰIᑢ Platinum Record

20. bear on fridge

bear on fridge Ultrasonic

What for? Running and listening to music? Yes. Tracking, playing? yes. Production/sound design? You can do it on the Bluetooth speaker as well, what is your point?
    M50x - Sturdy, portable, has ok-ish balance, everything sounds like under a microscope (in your face). Costly, narrow sounding (basically mono) and well.. all sounds are in your face. Good for tracking, travel, things like that.
    And then there is Superlux HD681 if you want to do production/mixing for cheap. It costs only 20$. Sounds like beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro but better.
    I'd rather buy that (since you already have headphones for recording/tracking) and save up for planars, like Hifiman Sundara with good amp or LCD XC if closed backs are your thing.

21. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

i love my ath-m50x headphones. best bang for the buck imho.